Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Values of the 2013 gt 500

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/12, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
will the value spike last? or will the lack of mr shelbys presents take away value from future cars? The problem I am seeing is that everyone keeps looking at this like hes an artist when in fact hes a designer at best. Cars can be art but this is not what Mr shelby added to the car. I believe it will only hurt long term values on the new cars. Art increase in value because the artist is dead and cannot make anymore art. Since ford will still make new shelbys it really hasnt had an effect on the output(infact they will be makign more and selling more then ever). Now if ford never made a new shelby and stopped the day he died that would of helped values.
Mr. Shelby never gave me any presents.
Old 7/18/12, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A car that sold in 1970 for 4000 that is worth 100,000 today, 42 years later, is only coming in at 7.45% interest roughly? But aren't those 100k cars barely used ?
Old 7/18/12, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kabooka
A car that sold in 1970 for 4000 that is worth 100,000 today, 42 years later, is only coming in at 7.45% interest roughly? But aren't those 100k cars barely used ?
You are not factoring in inflation, insurance, property tax, license fees, storage or upkeep. The return is considerable less than 7.45%. I remember getting 13% on CD's and the interest rate on cd's was over 6% up until 5 or 6 years ago. And the car you referenced was the exception, not the rule. There are better and safer ways to invest your money.

A car built in 1970 costs a lot to restore and the most advanced thing on those cars was the AM-8 Track transistor radio and the electronic ignition. Can you imagine how hard and expensive it will be to locate NOS or good used electronic parts for a 2013 Mustang let alone a GT500? The Nav unit that everyone loves today will be worthless in 15 to 20 years from now. If you are lucky DVDs will still be available so you can at least use it for watching movies. Not to mention all the plastic parts.

If the tree huggers have their way, there will be no fossil fuels 30 -40 years from now. In that case the only place you will see these cars will be in museums and private collections. Think of all the 60 & 70's cars that ended up as scape metal during the 70's & 80's gas shortages.

If you need to justify the purchase of one of these cars, maybe you should reconsider the purchase.
Old 7/19/12, 12:43 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabooka
you also for got to add in the limited amount that remain. Those cars also have a race history and were part of starting the whole car thing we now enjoy.
Old 7/20/12, 07:32 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't think the current 2007-13 GT500s will ever be worth the money that the originals were because of several factors. For one the original 1965-70 were poorly built cars that would fall apart after a couple years so only a few remain today. The newer vehicles are built much better and can last much longer. Another thing to keep in mind people that bought these cars back in the 60s never thought they would be worth anything in 30-40 years. Today people are buying GT500 and even Mustang GTs as "future collectibles" and because of that the market is actually flooded with great low mile examples of these cars.

I recently have started looking at buying a used 2007-09 GT500 and I am amazed by how many very low mile cars are out there for a significant discount. This is great news as a buyer but horrible if you are the seller. One seller I know has a 2007 GT500 coupe with only 2500mi and paid $25,000 above MSRP and is asking $35,000. Only reason why I'm not buying it is because I don't like the color combo and want a 2009 model with better options.

I doubt people are going to be fooled again like they were in 2007 when salesmen told buyers that the GT500 was going to be a short 2 year run. Ford produced the SVT Cobra from 1993-99, 01, 03-04 with some limited R models in between and the production of these cars is less than the 2007-12 GT500s.

If any SVT vehicle has the potential of being a collectible it would probably be the 1993 Cobra. Only year of a fox body Cobra and very low production numbers (under 5000)!

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 7/20/12 at 07:36 AM.
Old 7/20/12, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
If any SVT vehicle has the potential of being a collectible it would probably be the 1993 Cobra. Only year of a fox body Cobra and very low production numbers (under 5000)!
Or the ford GT. 2 years & 4000 cars. The introduction of the 5.4 supercharged V8 that moved to the Shelby GT500s.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 7/20/12 at 12:00 PM.
Old 7/20/12, 12:55 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree lets not forget the 100+k price tag either
Old 7/20/12, 01:27 PM

I agree with what most have said here. I think the days of cars being worth more is over. In this "gotta have it now" society, cars are obosolete much quicker, more like cell phones, computers, etc....Ford motor has no incentive to limit these things to preserve collectability or future value. Someone brought up 07 shelby...what a great example. I remember when I wanted one and no dealer would talk to you unless you were in the market to spend 5,10 20k over sticker. I cant imagine doing that and seeing where the cars are now! In general, I feel like the best you can do with a limited production vehicle is hope for less that normal depreciation. Maybe your 35k mustang will be worth 15k or 20k in ten years, vs your 40k f150 or ram that will be worth 3500 in ten years. it really is a crapshoot. Like someone else posted here, the 93 Cobra is the exception to the rule. in 1993 those cars stickered for 25k, and they still bring 15k to over the 25k number depending on condition! The 93Rs can be in the 50k-60k range, yet the 95r and the 00r dont enjoy the same price increases. Its very hard to predict. A curveball could be the impending CAFE/oil supply questions. With ford making a 662hp shelby, one has to wonder how they top that? or else they know that this is the last hurrah and the time is now to go all in, and this era will be the true muscle car peak.
Old 7/20/12, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
You are not factoring in inflation, insurance, property tax, license fees, storage or upkeep. The return is considerable less than 7.45%. I remember getting 13% on CD's and the interest rate on cd's was over 6% up until 5 or 6 years ago. And the car you referenced was the exception, not the rule. There are better and safer ways to invest your money.

A car built in 1970 costs a lot to restore and the most advanced thing on those cars was the AM-8 Track transistor radio and the electronic ignition. Can you imagine how hard and expensive it will be to locate NOS or good used electronic parts for a 2013 Mustang let alone a GT500? The Nav unit that everyone loves today will be worthless in 15 to 20 years from now. If you are lucky DVDs will still be available so you can at least use it for watching movies. Not to mention all the plastic parts.

If the tree huggers have their way, there will be no fossil fuels 30 -40 years from now. In that case the only place you will see these cars will be in museums and private collections. Think of all the 60 & 70's cars that ended up as scape metal during the 70's & 80's gas shortages.

If you need to justify the purchase of one of these cars, maybe you should reconsider the purchase.
Exactly, yes I was being very liberal with those numbers which is my point, don't buy a car as an investment.
Old 7/20/12, 03:37 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It will hold some of its value until the new body is rolled out. It's gonna stay higher in value than the 08-12 but it will drop a good bit in a few years. It's a GT500 not a super snake edition. And the GT500 should never be compared to the F40. Just saying.
Old 7/20/12, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tank5879
I agree with what most have said here. I think the days of cars being worth more is over. In this "gotta have it now" society, cars are obosolete much quicker, more like cell phones, computers, etc....Ford motor has no incentive to limit these things to preserve collectability or future value..
Good points, if not going up in value, then holding its value better than previous cars. As for oil, I wouldn't worry about that in the next 2 life times, there is plenty of oil.
Old 7/20/12, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
And the GT500 should never be compared to the F40. Just saying.
I think you missed the point, wasn't making a direct comparison to the cars...but the theory that they both follow similar objectives that their creators set out to do as there last projects.
Old 7/20/12, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BigR
As for oil, I wouldn't worry about that in the next 2 life times, there is plenty of oil.
It's not a matter of having oil, it's a matter of the government allowing us to use it.
Old 7/20/12, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
It's not a matter of having oil, it's a matter of the government allowing us to use it.
As long as they can continue to tax it, a d all the spin off with it...they will.

I wouldn't be too worried about just yet
Old 7/21/12, 10:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
As long as they can continue to tax it, a d all the spin off with it...they will.

I wouldn't be too worried about just yet
There are several contingency plans in place for our federal gov't to follow based on the conditions around the world, politically, environmentally, economically, etc. The military and transportation infrastructure will always be first priority for our gov't re: conventional fuels. Public transportation is being pushed in large cities now and owning a car in a dense neighborhood is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive. CAFE laws are forcing automakers to take a much more aggressive approach to finding alternative ways to fuel their products and produce more power per gallon of fuel. It is not at all inconceivable that in two decades, gasoline engines are on their way out.
Old 7/21/12, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
Good points, if not going up in value, then holding its value better than previous cars.
I'd say that it may hold its value better than other new cars.

In the meantime, there is the cost of insuring and paying taxes on a $60K car, the lost opportunity of investing the $60K (or interest if you don't have 60-large), storage, and maintenance.

The 2005-2006 Ford GT is the only American car that I know of that has kept its value (~4000 built). In GA, the insurance on a $160K car is not cheap and just the annual tag fee is $2500. At this point the tires are worn out (or dry-rotted). It wasn't a good investment, but I am sure the owners have had a fun ownership experience.
Old 7/21/12, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 95cobraR
I'd say that it may hold its value better than other new cars.

In the meantime, there is the cost of insuring and paying taxes on a $60K car, the lost opportunity of investing the $60K (or interest if you don't have 60-large), storage, and maintenance.

The 2005-2006 Ford GT is the only American car that I know of that has kept its value (~4000 built). In GA, the insurance on a $160K car is not cheap and just the annual tag fee is $2500. At this point the tires are worn out (or dry-rotted). It wasn't a good investment, but I am sure the owners have had a fun ownership experience.
It's all relative. When talking of such cars as investments, one needs to understand these are toys for the well to do.

Not many, if any are buying ferrari's, gt40s, shelbys to keep in a garage and hope to retire. My purpose of the thread was would the 2013 be a good car long term to carry your toy pleasure without complete depreciation like a a Buick?

Spending 70 grand on 2013 Shelby, is it the more likely car that would hold its value or be worth keeping long term as a financial decision compared to other Shelby's ?

Maybe I should have reworded the question different. Given from the posts on this thread, seems to be enthusiasts on this board don't think the 2013 is anything more, or less special than previous modern Shelby's.

Too bad, I thought the 2013 was a tad more special , and more unique than the previous, which would make it more sought after, keeping resale stronger.
Old 7/21/12, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Too bad, I thought the 2013 was a tad more special , and more unique than the previous, which would make it more sought after, keeping resale stronger.
I am sure that ever buyer of a new (no matter the year) Shelby thought the one they bought was a tad better than the previous model. That doesn't make it worth more in the future.

As far as resale value, your best bet is to research all the other Ford Shelby's and see how their present prices are in comparison to their original selling prices. Just a quick glance at the sold Shelby's on eBay shows that although they have not appreciated, they are not depreciating at a fast pace.

Another thing that needs to considered when comparing these cars to 70 muscle cars as an investment, I realize this wasn't the OP's intention, the 70 cars were produced in much smaller numbers and very few if any original buyer bought the cars as an investment. So they were rode hard and put away wet. Very few of the 70 cars are still in their original unrestored condition all the others have gone through at least one if not more very expensive restorations.

After reading a lot of the posts on numerous forums, it looks like the majority of the 2013 and a lot of the previous rear model buyers are treating these cars as potential investments and are raking up very few miles. So if this trend continues, a low mileage GT500 won't be that had to find in the future, so the future price may not exceed the original price for quite some time.

As a side note, all the most expensive older investment grade cars are either in their original as delivered condition exactly as they came from the factory or restored to like new condition. This means no modifications. Plus they have all the documentation to back up their claims with, build sheets, window stickers, original fender and VIN tags. So if anyone is considering the Shelby's as investments, they better start archiving all the documentation they can get their hands on now.
Old 7/21/12, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't buy a mustang thinking about the day I sell it.
Old 7/21/12, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I don't buy a mustang thinking about the day I sell it.
This

Quick Reply: Values of the 2013 gt 500