Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Please, no grind!

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/12, 02:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, no grind!

There is so much discussion on other forums about a 1-2 grind. I'm approaching 1k miles on my '13GT500 & have not had a grind with any shift yet, but the book says I can "be competitive" after 1k miles. This car is FUN!

My question is: Isn't the grinding sound the teeth of 2nd gear meshing incompletely with the drive gear as the clutch pedal is released?

Is this driver error (premature clutch release) or shifter/tranny error (imprecise or slow shifter) or a combination of both? The prevailing solution is to replace the shifter.
Old 8/14/12, 04:02 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The GT500 has a twin disk clutch set up still I'm pretty sure. Don't think many of the 500's have that problem.
Old 8/14/12, 07:26 AM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No issues with any of that here,440Sprint.------Bill
Old 8/14/12, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

no issues here man....car has 994 miles now, I was at the drag strip this past sunday thrashing on it pretty good....nothing. Seems to be isolated to a few people only and thus far an MGW shifter has cured it...my thinking is the shifter itself is the problem, the design along with the rubber bushings ( notice that extra click when going into 2nd?)

p.s. my daughter will be here thursday via C section, figure you wanted an update
Old 8/14/12, 02:34 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by devious_stang
no issues here man....car has 994 miles now, I was at the drag strip this past sunday thrashing on it pretty good...
TBH, I wouldn't post that stuff on the internet. Several people have had that come back to bite them in the *** later when something went wrong and needed warranty work and the Ford spies had been monitoring these forums.
Old 8/15/12, 12:40 AM
V6 Member

Devious, so you went WOT! Even I want to do that! Don't listen to RBB. Ford expects us to use LC & Track Apps!!

I haven't fast shifted since driving my new, all-red '65 Impala SS 396, 4spd. This '13GT500 muscle car has twice the hp & is a torque monster. My son just brought an Audi TTRS back from Germany & it has a dual cockpit-switchable accelerator pedal speed. I'm so cautious shifting to 2nd due wheel spin with all that wonderful but touchy torque. My son has slow & normal pedal speeds thus better torque control when speed shifting.

Forgive my minor digression, but I want to speed shift this beast but would die if there was grinding! I trust the nannies to help with unwanted wheel spin. LOVE THIS CAR!

Thanks for the update on Leticia. Our thoughts will be with you three on Thurs.
Old 8/15/12, 01:01 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by 440sprint
Don't listen to RBB. Ford expects us to use LC & Track Apps!!
Yeah, don't listen to me. You just keep telling yourself that when you're in the same position another member was in when he was shelling out $2500 from his own pocket after the clutch took a **** at 3000 miles and he'd been posting all of his exploits from the drag strip on the forums.
Old 8/15/12, 02:02 AM
V6 Member

With the onboard vehicle usage memory, I'm sure that all smart GT500 owners would never abuse their Ford warranty without a real reason or the money to back it up, although the temptation is there crying! May a strong internal power help us all!!

I'm getting close to 1k miles like Devious and weakening to showing muscle like never before with a Shelby from the factory but wanting to respect my warranty.
Old 8/15/12, 02:22 AM
GT Member

Anything put out on the Internet can come back and haunt you. Just ask people who are getting a divorce who post stupid **** on Facebook how that worked for them. To each his own but once you put it out there you can't get it back. And most companies won't shell out money if they can find a way to get out of it.
Old 8/15/12, 02:48 AM
V6 Member

I wonder what IS the memory capacity of the Internet? of home computers? of portable devices with RAM memory like our cars? Anyone venture to guess?

How much is monitored by someone unknown? I know Ford has to get hold of our car before getting into its memory. Ford dealer oil changes, repairs, etc.!
Old 8/15/12, 04:06 AM
V6 Member

RBB, I'm sorry, my wife says that you are right!
Old 8/15/12, 12:47 PM
V6 Member

Just to get back to the subject of the 1-2 grind on GT500's, there definitely is a problem!

The first time it happened to me, I was winding the car out to about 6k, and went to shift to second, and it immediately started grinding! I went to neutral, and wondered what the hell I had done wrong! During normal driving, no problem. It only happens under full throttle, at high rpms.

The second time it happened, I was ready for it and realized, it's a shifter problem! The temporary solution I found, was to hold the shifter in such a manner, as to bring it toward my body as I was shifting into second gear, instead of just straight back like you would do in normal driving.

Since I've adopted this method of shifting during WOT runs, I haven't experienced anymore grinding when going into second gear. My permanant fix will most likely be replacing the stock shifter with a Barton unit.
Old 8/15/12, 02:11 PM
V6 Member

Thanks TRMach1, I'll try your method for my first fast shift coming soon. Please report back on replacement shifter.
Old 8/15/12, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

No offense to anyone but if I wanted a car to putt putt around town I would have bought a CTS-V....but I digress

The shifting mentioned by TRmach is correct, I had read about this on previous shelbys so I shift mine this way also, pull back and towards my body....im convinced its a **** design flaw that tremec refuses to acknowledge
Old 8/15/12, 06:34 PM
V6 Member

I'm happy! My first speed shift, no grind. I kept pressure toward my body & pulled fast. Thanks to all.

Pulling for Devious family tomorrow!!
Old 8/20/12, 08:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 440sprint
I'm happy! My first speed shift, no grind. I kept pressure toward my body & pulled fast. Thanks to all.

Pulling for Devious family tomorrow!!
Glad I could help out in a little way! I feel like part of the family now. LOL!
Old 8/20/12, 09:23 AM

TRmach1

Although I have a 2013GT, I have found being locked out of going into second to be a problem also. Installed a MGW, and soon found out that pulling the shifter towards my body instead of straight back cured my problem. After about 1,000 miles with the MGW, the necessity of pulling towards me is far less of an effort. Maybe the shifter is wearing just a little making the shifting a little easier?
Old 8/21/12, 12:21 AM
V6 Member

So far it appears that my stock shifter is a good one!

dleblancbu, the MGW or Barton shifters have been the choices for a solution to the 1-2 grind.

I'm happy you found the MGW to be your solution. I'm sure all of us without the problem are extremely happy & thankful that you are finally grindless!