Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Ordered 2013 GT500: Our Wonderful & Frustrating Journey

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/12, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This car is for the family. It was a family decision to buy it & it is a family decision which color it will be. My wife is every bit as excited as I am about this car.

Our marriage is truly 50/50. There is no "my money / her money;" whatever we make goes into 1 bank account. I told her on our wedding night that everything I have is now hers. We are a team. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but that's how I roll yo.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 9/3/12 at 08:43 PM.
Old 9/3/12, 10:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Dude I didn't read anything after the Red Candy post. Do it. This is going to be the ONLY year the GT500 is offered in Red Candy. Since 2007 I've thought the Shelby would look amazing in metallic red, and it does. It will be super rare. I'd stripe delete it, but it looks good with black or white stripes. I think Motor Trend had a bunch of Red Candy pics on their first GT500 test...
Old 9/3/12, 11:39 PM
Cobra Member

The white stripes look good on this color. Have to see if the dealer freaks when we ask him to change the order.
Old 9/4/12, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
The white stripes look good on this color. Have to see if the dealer freaks when we ask him to change the order.
He will freak.
Old 9/4/12, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FAST FRED
He will freak.
I'm kinda hoping he will.
Old 9/4/12, 12:05 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Before I start getting posts or PMs about which dealerships I'm talking about, I will not be posting the name of the dealerships. The purpose of this thread is not to rat out a dealership but to inform others of the difficulties we've had and hopefully provide some insight to others on what types of pitfalls to expect or watch for when ordering / buying a car.
---
Thanks for sharing this entire journey. It's useful for many TMS members. So sorry to hear that BOTH your dealers changed their stories. Where is the code of honor/ethics with these people? I consider myself to be very lucky, indeed - I think my Ford dealer is fantastic. They have been a pleasure to deal with. I use them for performance upgrades, advice, and I even got a referral $ check when I brought my neighbor in to buy a 13 GT. Good luck with your order, I hope you get exactly what you want, which is the way it should always be for the customer. And, of course, we'll all want to see pics when you get it!
Old 9/5/12, 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

Candy red & deep impact blue are both really nice colors in the direct sunlight. But when not in direct sunlight or on cloudy days, they look really plain. Plus, these colors will be harder to repair or touchup than just the plain white.

I spent an hour with the wife looking at the colors over the weekend. Today, after work, I spent another hour looking at them in the sun & in the cloudy skies. She agrees that our original decision to go with white is a good one.

Will definitely post pictures as soon as we get it! Well, after I'm done driving it around that is.
Old 9/6/12, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Based on Botchy's concerns after seeing their car listed for sale online, I thought I'd add my experience with similar situations regarding Dealers advertising pre-sold cars as FOR SALE online, using them as bait to get people into their stealerships.

Originally Posted by Botchy
Deysha - imagine to my surprise I find the car I ordered 2 1/2 months ago listed with my Vin number on the Internet. Talking about upset! The dealer swears they don't have the car. It's supposed to be in on the 10th of this month and the dealer seems to think maybe this Fri or Sat.
My Vin is 1ZVBP8CF7D5251929. The dealer is Crowley Ford Lincoln in Plainville Ct 06062. The Mustang was a special order and what I want to know why would you want a customer who's buying their 1st Ford and their dream car have to go thru with this. I have called the dealer and they say it's the Internet Sales is controlled by Ford. I just hope this isn't an example of future dealings. Please check on this if you can.
Rich Roland
That's a bunch of baloney. Internet sales are controlled by the dealer. This is a common ploy that I've run into with 3 different dealers in the Chicagoland area. They all 3 advertised that they had brand new Shelbys for sale and even listed the VIN numbers. I called each of the dealerships and got the same story from each of them.

First, they kept trying to get my name & phone number so they could keep in contact with me. Then when I kept pushing about the vehicle in question, they kept telling me to come in and look at it; one of the cars hadn't even arrived yet. When I finally insisted on talking to somebody that knew how to check to see if the car was actually at the dealership and if it was for sale and not a pre-ordered, already sold car; I got the same response- "I don't know why the car is listed for sale online. Our internet sales person must have mistakenly put it there."

Bull puckey! It's the typical "bait & switch" tactic used by unscrupulous companies for years. They advertise a really high-end item at a low prices knowing darn well that they don't actually have any in stock. And when you get to their store, they say "oh sorry, we just sold the last one but we've got these other really nice models, not as high quality as the advertised one we can sell you."

The dealership by my wife's work tried to pull this bait & switch on me. When I told them that I was going to register a complaint with the BBB for them using B&S tactics, they pulled the ad from their website within hours.

So don't feel bad. Just lets you know what kind of dealership you are working with. They probably don't intend to sell your car to anybody else; they're just using it as bait to get other customers into their dealership.

I have been checking my dealership's website every week to see if they use MY car for bait. With the way they've treated us, I fully expect to see our car listed online for sale before it gets to the dealership.
Old 9/6/12, 11:54 AM

Great choise.. white looks better on shade and sun.. I had a 2012 5.0 (trade for MT82 problems) white and now a 13 5.0 white.. great color and every black part makes the white look better.
Old 9/6/12, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks. One of my friends has a white 08 CS with chrome Foose wheels and it looks great. If you look in the perf white pictures section in the 10-14 forums here, there's a really bad-*** CS towards the end of the thread. Looks really good.
Old 9/7/12, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Here is the bad-*** car I mentioned in the post above!

https://themustangsource.com/f787/pe...0/#post6421494
Old 9/8/12, 08:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoken like a single man.

I chose to get married & chose to have a kid. I'm a family man & my family is the most important thing to me. If that wasn't the case, I'd have bought the 427 Vette convertible. But there aren't enough seats for 3. As well, the color really isn't that important to me. I like many of the colors offered for the Shelby. If one color over another makes my wife happy, then I don't have a problem selecting a different color that I also like.

And if one of those colors makes my wife happier, then that's a bonus for me too.
Married too. With two kids. Made it clear to wife from outset cars are my thing. I show up with a new one on a semi-regular basis. New, used, custom ordered, vintage. She moans but loves it really as its part of what makes me, well, me. And she threatens to one day show up with a Vette. I hope she does. In either case we own everything 50/50. As for colour, nothing beats a white Mustang.

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 9/8/12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 9/8/12, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

Thar's awesome!

I'm hoping my wife buys me a vette for my 50th birthday.
Old 9/15/12, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Douche-bag Ford

I sent an email to the owner of the dealership who ordered my Shelby. The reason I have to deal with the owner is because he is the only one who handles the special orders. No matter who I talk with at the dealership, they always refer me back to the owner whenever I mention the name Shelby. The email I sent Thursday morning asked what kind of prep work they will do to the vehicle once it arrives at their dealership.

Of course, it's now Saturday and he has not had the courtesy in the last 3 days to respond to my email. So today, after work, I drove all the way down to their dealership. I walked to his office and saw him through the open door, sitting at his desk talking to somebody. Instead of interrupting him, I asked the closest salesman if he could see if "he" was available. The salesman asked my name & walked into the office. After a moment, the salesman walked out and said that "he" just left for the day.

The salesman asked if he could help & I told him what I needed. He said that only "he" would have that information regarding Shelby orders. I asked if I could speak with the Sales Manager since the owner wasn't available. As he walked to get the SM, I peeked into "his" office and didn't see "him" sitting at his desk.

When the Sales Mgr came over, he asked what I needed. I told him that I was looking for information regarding what kind of prep work would be done to my Shelby when it arrived. He immediately replied that "he" is the person who deals with Shelbys. The salesman quickly interrupted him to let him know that "he" just left for the day. The SMgr suggested I send "him" an email. I let the SMgr know I sent an email earlier this week but had not heard back from "him." The SM suggested I send another email & copy him so he can make sure I get a prompt response in case "his" email isn't working.

The SMgr called the Delivery Mgr over to help answer my questions. The two of them were very helpful and described how they handle normal car deliveries. They also explained that I need to send them an email to add to my order any specific directions I have regarding what I'd like done and don't want done to the car when it arrives. The SMgr said that most people who order Shelbys don't want the dealership to touch the car as soon as it gets off the truck. They don't want the bumpers drilled, the plastic removed or even dealership stickers applied.

I was very happy to hear this. I thanked them both for their time explaining this to me. I told them I'd send their group an email with my special instructions on how to handle the vehicle when it arrives. They both thanked me very much for my business.

Out of curiosity, I walked past "his" office on my way out. And guess what? He was sitting alone in his office at his desk. I don't know if he saw me, but I saw HIM.

I could understand if the owner was busy or planning to leave and didn't want to talk with me about my questions. But the proper way would be to let either me or the salesman know that he's busy or just about to leave and direct me to the Sales Mgr or Delivery Mgr so they could answer my questions.

But NO. Mr. @$$#@# decided to just LIE & say that he just left. Total BS because not only did I see him in his office when I got there, but I also saw him sitting back at his desk before I walked out.

We're planning to have the paint sealed, the windows tinted & the 3M clear bra done to the car when it arrives. That's another $1800 or so. But BS if I'll spend another dime at @$$#@# Ford & put any more money in Mr. @$$#@#'s pockets. It's too bad that he's such a @$$#@#! Everybody else there has been very helpful.

He won't take my calls, he won't answer my emails and NOW, he won't even talk to me in person when I drive >20 miles to his dealership. What a @$$#@#!

Do you agree or am I wrong? Is this how customers spending $70K should be expected to be treated?

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 9/19/12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 9/15/12, 08:10 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hes a d bag. Alot of small dealers do not like to work for a buck because alot of the time they are the only show in town.
Old 9/15/12, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
hes a d bag. Alot of small dealers do not like to work for a buck because alot of the time they are the only show in town.
He owns 2 Ford dealerships in the Chicagoland area this one is one of the largest Mustang dealers in the Chicagoland area.

Besides, if he doesn't want to be bothered with me personally, then he should have the courtesy to direct somebody else to help me instead of just shoo me out the door.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 9/15/12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 9/15/12, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

This 2012 was in the showroom in Torrington CT.
Attached Thumbnails Ordered 2013 GT500: Our Wonderful & Frustrating Journey-image-2620855628.jpg  
Old 9/15/12, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Side view
Attached Thumbnails Ordered 2013 GT500: Our Wonderful & Frustrating Journey-image-2940052062.jpg  
Old 9/15/12, 10:45 PM
Cobra Member

Nice looking car. Too bad it's not a vert.
Old 9/16/12, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Confirmed, he's a D-bag. Until I got a VIN, no could prove to me they had an allocation so it really was a leap of faith. I was lucky in that the dealer, in fact, was totally up front and straight up with me about everything, just didn't know that until it was over. Wait until you are ready to drive off in the Shelby before you let them know though, douchebaggery has no limits. Some of these so called businessmen out there are horribly vindictive and petty.

Quick Reply: Ordered 2013 GT500: Our Wonderful & Frustrating Journey