Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords' write-up of the 2013 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/12, 07:43 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords' write-up of the 2013 GT500

I hope this isn't a repost. If you get the magazine, it's old news, but it's always cool to get some insight of the 2013 GT500's development process as well as Evan Smith's impressions of the 650-horse beast.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...her/index.html

"While the '07-'11 GT500s are fast machines, launching one can be a challenge, especially with stock tires. For the '13, Ford solved this problem with the introduction of Launch Control and Traction Control systems to maximize acceleration with minimal or, in most cases, zero slip. And believe us, the acceleration will quench even the thirstiest horsepower junkies. We got to experience these driver aids, and they are nothing short of amazing."

"The rev control is not just a gimmick. It will offer a tunable starting-line rpm limiter, allowing you to coordinate launch rpm with the surface and tires you're running to achieve the best possible acceleration. In essence, the driver will be staged on the line (be it at the track or on the street) and with the clutch down, you will plant the throttle to the floor. The engine will hold at a pre-set rpm, and when it is time to go, the driver simply releases the clutch smooth and quick. Your GT500 will accelerate rapidly in a controlled manner, with the LC/TC preventing (or at least seriously limiting) wheelspin. After seeing the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of even the best quarter-mile hot shoes."

"So, how quick will it go in the quarter-mile? We estimate that the 650hp GT500 will be capable of running 11.70s to 11.60s at well above 120 mph in bone-stock trim. In optimal conditions, perhaps quicker and faster. And with 4.30s and sticky tires, low 11s or even 10s could be possible!"
Old 1/26/12, 09:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
STV deserves compliments for taming this beast. This is one pony worthy of being called the best Mustang ever.

Cheers to the lucky ones who get their hands on one.
Old 1/26/12, 09:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(however I think changing to 4.30's would defeat the gearing improvements made for consistent launches and we're back to square one...)
Old 1/26/12, 09:19 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by cdynaco

(however I think changing to 4.30's would defeat the gearing improvements made for consistent launches and we're back to square one...)
Yeah, I agree. A change to 4.10 or 4.30 gears would necessitate HUGE meats on the rear in order to attempt to harness all that horsepower and torque; essentially, that car would be a quarter-mile runner only. I'm more interested in how well-rounded this car will be. I have a feeling it's going to surprise those writing off the 2013 GT500 in comparison to the Camaro ZL1.
Old 1/27/12, 09:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
I have a feeling it's going to surprise those writing off the 2013 GT500 in comparison to the Camaro ZL1.
I don't see many people writing off the '13 GT500 in comparison to the ZL1, actually it is quite the opposite. Most ZL1 buyers were shocked by the announcement of a 650 hp Mustang and are trying to figure out how they will compete now.
Old 1/27/12, 09:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by speedrx
I don't see many people writing off the '13 GT500 in comparison to the ZL1, actually it is quite the opposite. Most ZL1 buyers were shocked by the announcement of a 650 hp Mustang and are trying to figure out how they will compete now.
Unless the ZL1 owner organizes time for both cars on a road course, the only time these cars are going to be raced is at stop lights and drag strips. There is no hope of a stock ZL1 topping ANY version of the '13 GT500 without a pro behind the wheel. Ford made certain of that. Besides, how many people actually take their cars out to the local road course and challenge whoever happens to show up in a vehicle from the rival manufacturer? The ZL1 will likely have better numbers around turns, but that's cold comfort when they're staring at the quad exhaust tips of a GT500 every time they decide to "go." "yeah, well my car has better rear end suspension!!!" Kinda rings hollow.
Old 1/27/12, 04:04 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by speedrx
Obviously, GM's going to say that the ZL1 will be quicker, fast, better, etc, but some here are apparently buying into the hype. Read through the ZL1-related threads here at TMS; you may be surprised at what you read.
Old 1/27/12, 04:11 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
STV deserves compliments for taming this beast. This is one pony worthy of being called the best Mustang ever.

Cheers to the lucky ones who get their hands on one.
They are awesome to drive. A lot of blood sweat and tears went into this car I can assure you.

I wouldnt count out the GT500 in ANY side by side comparo with the ZL1 if I were a betting man. NO ONE has run them side by side so we will have to wait for that but all I am saying is that just because the road gets twisty dont think the GT500 is chopped liver
Old 1/27/12, 05:03 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Stinger1982
... just because the road gets twisty don't think the GT500 is chopped liver.
I've been an SVT supporter for a long time not because it's perfect but those guys always try their best to bring out the most performance forth and keep their model street legal while providing maximun amount of comfort.

I am sold on SVT, their efforts, and the enthusiasm they share with their fans.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 1/27/12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 1/27/12, 05:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy guys, Al O chief engineer of the camaro program has done "simulations"... and the ZL1 will be faster...
"We've done simulations. We predict that the ZL1 will be quicker to 60 than the [2013] GT500."

Last edited by fdjizm; 1/27/12 at 05:09 PM.
Old 1/27/12, 05:45 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Lol at that picture. Did you make that.
Thanks for the kind words about the dedicated people at SVT
Old 1/27/12, 06:28 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
Easy guys, Al O chief engineer of the camaro program has done "simulations"... and the ZL1 will be faster...

nice

for some reason I want the camaro guy to say "its got a hemi"

Last edited by Flagstang; 1/27/12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 1/27/12, 06:30 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

They are awesome to drive. A lot of blood sweat and tears went into this car I can assure you.

I wouldnt count out the GT500 in ANY side by side comparo with the ZL1 if I were a betting man. NO ONE has run them side by side so we will have to wait for that but all I am saying is that just because the road gets twisty dont think the GT500 is chopped liver
What?! But the "simulations" say...!
Old 1/27/12, 08:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Lol at that picture. Did you make that.
Thanks for the kind words about the dedicated people at SVT
yea made it a few days ago when big gay Al came out and talked about his simulations
Old 1/28/12, 12:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I don't mean to disparage the GT500 on anything but a quarter mile, but rather was trying to say that the only place the ZL1 *might* have an advantage is through the corners. I don't know that, but that is the one area that the car might be able to match or better the GT500. With 70 more hp and ~200 fewer lbs, there is simply NO WAY the ZL1 stock could hope to match or best a GT500 stock. The power/weight ratio is absolute. With the adjustable launch control (by the way, that has to be my favorite new aspect on the car), there's no reason for anyone, even a noob, to leave the horsepower in rubber stripes on the road. Get the power to the road, and that ZL1 never beats the GT500.

To me, the fact that the Shelby can and will be able to hold a line better than it ever has before is a huge dump of icing on the 650hp cake for me. I actually do plan on taking mine to road courses, and am very much looking forward to it.
Old 1/28/12, 06:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the Camaro faithful on Camaro5 are already saying the ZL1 will beat the GT500 because the car can't put the power to the road. I laugh because we don't have any idea if SVT has solved this issue for sure or not..... only they really know at this point until someone gets to REALLY flog this car besides the SVT engineers
Old 1/28/12, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were the "simulations" done before or after the extra 100 hp, LC, etc.? Might make a little difference in the results...
Old 1/28/12, 08:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
the Camaro faithful on Camaro5 are already saying the ZL1 will beat the GT500 because the car can't put the power to the road. I laugh because we don't have any idea if SVT has solved this issue for sure or not..... only they really know at this point until someone gets to REALLY flog this car besides the SVT engineers
Meanwhle two videos show wheel hop and wheelspin on actual driving with the ZL1
They are so blinded they will believe anything.
Old 1/28/12, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Meanwhle two videos show wheel hop and wheelspin on actual driving with the ZL1
They are so blinded they will believe anything.
This. Already the excuses are...."oh its on a stock tire...put some better rubber out back and its 11"s all day !"

Wha.....really ???

As to this whole ring and track thing.....show of hands of how many people are going to get a Zl1 or a Gt500 and ship it off to Germany to run the ring ?

I'll be here waiting on the answers...
Old 1/28/12, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
This. Already the excuses are...."oh its on a stock tire...put some better rubber out back and its 11"s all day !"

Wha.....really ???

As to this whole ring and track thing.....show of hands of how many people are going to get a Zl1 or a Gt500 and ship it off to Germany to run the ring ?

I'll be here waiting on the answers...
Ford does testing at the Ring along with many other companies but I understand they do not post official times for any of their vehicles, they are there for R&D and not to post the best time.

I guarantee the '13 GT500 would be very competitive if they wanted to officially race it against the ZL1, same driver, same conditions, etc.

As mentioned, this is virtually irrelevant to anyone buying one in the States and competing on the street.

Quick Reply: Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords' write-up of the 2013 GT500