Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

GT500 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/13, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

OP, The real question is not if the cost is worth the GT500 for the performance gains. You need to ask yourself how bad do you want a GT500 and how much is it worth to you. You said you always wanted a GT500. WHY????. Why have you always wanted this car. Its looks like a mustang just like your 5.0! So, why do you want the GT500 when you have a perfectly hot looking 5.0 that has 412 HP and is more than fast.

A 2010 GT500 is going to be faster than your 11 GT. So what. Do you track race? Do you need a car that has 500 HP compared to your 412 HP car. Is your car slow or something?

I'll tell you why you want a GT500. Because its the King when it comes to the mustang world. Drive down the highway in that Gt500 and people are gonna talk, stare, look at that, that's the Shelby Gt500.

Driving your 5.0 is just another 5.0 and there a dime a dozen. But not the Gt500, you don't see that many on the road and when you do, it's like looking at a pair of big hooters for the first time or any time. Your in awe.

Why do people on here always ask if something is worth it. That depends on what the person is trying to accomplish. OP, what are you trying to accomplish? Its only worth it if its that important for your ego to have a Gt500. Its the f-ing king of the mustang world. Like I said before you can make a 800 HP 5.0, at the end of the day its just a 5.0 to the guy driving next to ya.

The GT500 is a Shelby and that's the name of the car gods. No matter how much HP the car has or doesn't have bottom line, its a Shelby Gt500 and its bad a$$.
Well said

Your paying for the car and the name. (both are awesome)

Last edited by 05GTJOSH; 3/25/13 at 06:40 AM.
Old 3/25/13, 07:13 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I'll tell you why you want a GT500. Because its the King when it comes to the mustang world. Drive down the highway in that Gt500 and people are gonna talk, stare, look at that, that's the Shelby Gt500.

Driving your 5.0 is just another 5.0 and there a dime a dozen. But not the Gt500, you don't see that many on the road and when you do, it's like looking at a pair of big hooters for the first time or any time. Your in awe.

Why do people on here always ask if something is worth it. That depends on what the person is trying to accomplish. OP, what are you trying to accomplish? Its only worth it if its that important for your ego to have a Gt500. Its the f-ing king of the mustang world. Like I said before you can make a 800 HP 5.0, at the end of the day its just a 5.0 to the guy driving next to ya.
Great answer brother!
Old 3/25/13, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

okay, I concede its like looking at a great set of bajungas, but, it has no more Shelby in it than my mother's horse. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. Shelby American Super Snakes and GT variants are certainly of his craft. 500's are still just Fords with the licensing purchased to get Carroll's good name endorsement. With that said, they are fn sweet Ford Mustangs, go get one.
Old 3/26/13, 09:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by max5ive0
okay, I concede its like looking at a great set of bajungas, but, it has no more Shelby in it than my mother's horse. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. Shelby American Super Snakes and GT variants are certainly of his craft. 500's are still just Fords with the licensing purchased to get Carroll's good name endorsement. With that said, they are fn sweet Ford Mustangs, go get one.
You misunderstand. The Shelby GT500 isn't recognized because it has Shelby's name on it; it's revered because it is the ultimate Mustang. As was mentioned, whether the six letters are on the car anywhere at all is irrelevant regarding its performance--but it sure as hell doesn't make any other Mustang any closer to its performance if you take the letters off. The GT500 is the best looking, best-sounding, best-built Mustang off the lot, period. That's why everyone stares, that's why everyone scrambles for their phones so they can take pictures of it while driving down the highway, that's why the overwhelmingly vast majority of Mustang owners would drive it instead of their GT if they could.

Whether it's built in Vegas or Flat Rock is utterly irrelevant in terms of its position atop Mt. Mustang.
Old 3/26/13, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger

You misunderstand. The Shelby GT500 isn't recognized because it has Shelby's name on it; it's revered because it is the ultimate Mustang. As was mentioned, whether the six letters are on the car anywhere at all is irrelevant regarding its performance--but it sure as hell doesn't make any other Mustang any closer to its performance if you take the letters off. The GT500 is the best looking, best-sounding, best-built Mustang off the lot, period. That's why everyone stares, that's why everyone scrambles for their phones so they can take pictures of it while driving down the highway, that's why the overwhelmingly vast majority of Mustang owners would drive it instead of their GT if they could.

Whether it's built in Vegas or Flat Rock is utterly irrelevant in terms of its position atop Mt. Mustang.
Did you get a GT500?
Old 3/26/13, 09:52 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
After 1500 miles in the GT500...get the GT500. Screw the rest.

My GT will be parted out and sold before the year ends.
Old 3/26/13, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Is this true?
Has the Dark Side completely consumed you?
Old 3/26/13, 09:58 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Is this true?
Has the Dark Side completely consumed you?
I am very seriously considering it. And I think it will probably happen as soon as I have the time.

The GT500 surpasses the GT in every way. Why bother with garaging and insuring the GT anymore.
Old 3/26/13, 10:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Did you get a GT500?
There's one in my garage with 3500 miles on it, and the cops haven't been beating down my door so I'm assuming the last six months' worth of memories of me buying and driving it actually happened...
Old 3/26/13, 10:06 PM
Banned

There's one in my garage with 3500 miles on it, and the cops haven't been beating down my door so I'm assuming the last six months' worth of memories of me buying and driving it actually happened...
How did I miss that? Oh yeah, I was banned for 6 months. Lol
Old 3/26/13, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

How did I miss that? Oh yeah, I was banned for 6 months. Lol
Not quite the whole time, but I started wondering where you'd gone about the end of February!
Old 3/26/13, 10:11 PM
Banned

Not quite the whole time, but I started wondering where you'd gone about the end of February!
I banned myself lol
Old 3/27/13, 12:26 PM
GT Member

I went from a 2011 GTCS to a 2011 GT500. I am very happy with the upgrade. The only downside is I feel I can't really take it anywhere like I could the GTCS. It's my inner demons thinking something will happen to it. Yea I bet the first post will be "That's what insurance is for", I prefer that I hope I never have to use my car insurance, hence my reasoning. It is what it is and in the long run it will be the OP's decision.
Old 3/27/13, 12:29 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Seven no!!!!!!

But I understand. Besides, this will free up more funds for you to get an S550
Old 3/27/13, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Come on... I am not putting the GT500 down, i was responding to a post above that says "its a Shelby" as if that was the only reason you need. IMO, its over rated. I cant use all of 400HP most of the time, and when I can I prefer it on twisty roads, which is why I opted for the BOSS. And I'm not trying to say the Boss is better, but for ME, more usable. Anyway, i was looking for a reaction and I enjoyed your response. But i still say a Shelby is built by Shelby American, and a GT500 by SVT.
Old 3/27/13, 10:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Come on... I am not putting the GT500 down, i was responding to a post above that says "its a Shelby" as if that was the only reason you need. IMO, its over rated. I cant use all of 400HP most of the time, and when I can I prefer it on twisty roads, which is why I opted for the BOSS. And I'm not trying to say the Boss is better, but for ME, more usable. Anyway, i was looking for a reaction and I enjoyed your response. But i still say a Shelby is built by Shelby American, and a GT500 by SVT.
Again, you misunderstand. It doesn't matter who builds it; if you put Shelby across the back of a V6, does that mean people will suddenly start looking at the V6's and saying "wow, that's a Shelby?" Of course not. The car is, without question, the most powerful sports car under 6 figures. You may call that overrated, most of the rest of the automotive world calls it the best GT500 ever built--and that's a mouthful.

By the way, I'm willing to bet I can get my GT500 around a track faster than you can your boss. It doesn't take that much at all to make it turn, and you don't have anywhere near the power to stay with me on the straights, because...wait for it...IT'S A SHELBY.
Old 3/27/13, 10:34 PM
Banned

The SHELBY GT500 is built by Ford and has been since 1968.
Old 3/28/13, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Again, you misunderstand. It doesn't matter who builds it; if you put Shelby across the back of a V6, does that mean people will suddenly start looking at the V6's and saying "wow, that's a Shelby?" Of course not. The car is, without question, the most powerful sports car under 6 figures. You may call that overrated, most of the rest of the automotive world calls it the best GT500 ever built--and that's a mouthful.

By the way, I'm willing to bet I can get my GT500 around a track faster than you can your boss. It doesn't take that much at all to make it turn, and you don't have anywhere near the power to stay with me on the straights, because...wait for it...IT'S A SHELBY.
1. The OP is referring to a 2010, if I'm not mistaken. And as I understand it, those were beastly beyond the limits of their handling, and many improvements have been made in that arena for 2013.
2. If you get handling upgrades for turning, its only fair I get upgrades for power. And, again, I am not taking on a 2013 GT500.
And as Shaun pointed out, the performance gains between a 2010 GT500 and 2011 GT probably aren't worth it.
3. I admit, I was trolling your thread, I admit the Shelby is widely recognized as the baddest of the Mustang world, and took it to the next level for 2013! But, I still maintain that the moniker Shelby was a play by Ford to market their SVT and sell cars. No doubt it was good for Shelby American's bottom line as well.

Still, My heart goes to the sexy but quiet librarian, the underdog that takes you by surprise, the one not as widely known but revered like royalty by those who are in the know. Could I afford a new Shelby? No, but even if I could I think for nostalgia purposes the Boss wins because of the limited availability on top of pedigree, even if Shelby pedigree is the unequivocal champion. And now its just a matter of opinion. But, I digress, because i know the OP didn't have a Boss to exchange.
Old 4/1/13, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've recently owned a 2012 Boss 302. I had the car for almost a year. It was a fun car to drive but I admittedly missed some of the creature comforts my 2010 GT Premium had (NAV, SYNC, power seats). I got rid of the Boss when I was having oil consumption issues and Ford Corporate was no help. I purchased a 2013 GHIG GT w/trackpack and was happy with the car but wanted more power. To add the S/C to a brand new car and be told you are losing a huge hunk of your warranty wasn't what I wanted to hear. The cost of the S/C and then beefing up the suspension was sizable. I opted to take my S/C money and suspension upgrade money trade the 2013 for the 2011 GT500 I have right now. It was without a doubt an upgrade for me. I haven't looked back..... Get the GT500. by the way you can get a 2011 for the price you're being told for the 2010. you might... might.. have to go for one with a few more miles on though like I did.
Old 4/3/13, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1. The OP is referring to a 2010, if I'm not mistaken. And as I understand it, those were beastly beyond the limits of their handling, and many improvements have been made in that arena for 2013.
2. If you get handling upgrades for turning, its only fair I get upgrades for power. And, again, I am not taking on a 2013 GT500.
And as Shaun pointed out, the performance gains between a 2010 GT500 and 2011 GT probably aren't worth it.
3. I admit, I was trolling your thread, I admit the Shelby is widely recognized as the baddest of the Mustang world, and took it to the next level for 2013! But, I still maintain that the moniker Shelby was a play by Ford to market their SVT and sell cars. No doubt it was good for Shelby American's bottom line as well.

Still, My heart goes to the sexy but quiet librarian, the underdog that takes you by surprise, the one not as widely known but revered like royalty by those who are in the know. Could I afford a new Shelby? No, but even if I could I think for nostalgia purposes the Boss wins because of the limited availability on top of pedigree, even if Shelby pedigree is the unequivocal champion. And now its just a matter of opinion. But, I digress, because i know the OP didn't have a Boss to exchange.
The 2010's were a big improvement over the 2007-09. They handle pretty decent. I saw a 2010 GT500 with a strut/shock/spring and tire upgrade a$$-rape a 2011 GT500 with the SVT PP on a road course.

Quick Reply: GT500 worth it?