Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Finally about to Close the Deal On My Dream Car!

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/14, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey TMS, after months of holding off and finally selling the '08 GT I am about to close the deal on a Shelby. Problem is I can't decide which one I will get and I have a few questions about storage as I won't be driving it much. First the decision, it's gonna either be a Ruby Red with black stripes no track pack and no glass roof or a DIB w/ white stripes and every option but shaker pro. I already have a DIB V6 so I'm kind of leaning towards the Ruby Red. The thing is I really want one with the glass roof but if I ever decide to track it will the people running the track give me problems for having a glass roof? Next It will be stored for about 3-4 months at a time and not driven or started. Is this bad for it and do I need to do anything other than what you would normally do for any car that is stored? Anything special for the engine since it's supercharged? Thanks

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 4/2/14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 4/2/14, 01:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Happy for you bro!
Old 4/2/14, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
You're going to want to start it at least every 6-8 weeks, even if you don't drive it. Leaving it sitting without running the engine and circulating the fluids will lead to problems. You also may want to consider storing the wheels OFF the car, to prevent the tires from flat-spotting from sitting in one position for an extended period of time. A battery tender will also be necessary.

You can always get another color with another car. If the one with the options is what you want, then get it. You shouldn't have any issues with a glass roof at a track; that said, there may be some event controllers that don't like you running with a glass roof without a roll bar. I don't know.
Old 4/2/14, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Happy for you bro!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
You're going to want to start it at least every 6-8 weeks, even if you don't drive it. Leaving it sitting without running the engine and circulating the fluids will lead to problems. You also may want to consider storing the wheels OFF the car, to prevent the tires from flat-spotting from sitting in one position for an extended period of time. A battery tender will also be necessary. You can always get another color with another car. If the one with the options is what you want, then get it. You shouldn't have any issues with a glass roof at a track; that said, there may be some event controllers that don't like you running with a glass roof without a roll bar. I don't know.
Ok, I may have to leave it with my Dad while I'm out of the country and just have him start it and drive it around the block once a month. Thanks for the advice. Just curious but have you had any problems with your Shelby?
Old 4/2/14, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd say get the DIB, since it's got all the options! And can you get it without the white stripes(switch to black, or none at all?) that's what I would do. Good luck!
Old 4/2/14, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Thanks!

Ok, I may have to leave it with my Dad while I'm out of the country and just have him start it and drive it around the block once a month. Thanks for the advice. Just curious but have you had any problems with your Shelby?
No I haven't, it's been worry-free and I drive it regularly (though it's not a daily driver). I also have several performance mods on it and I have yet to have any issues (yes, I'm knocking on wood). It's a well-built 200mph car.

Also, if you're going to track it, you're going to want the SVTPP and the track pack as well. The coolers are essential to help mitigate the massive heat buildup.

Your dad will love starting/driving it. Let him start it once or twice a month, and have him drive it a few miles every month. Are you in the service?
Old 4/2/14, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
No I haven't, it's been worry-free and I drive it regularly (though it's not a daily driver). I also have several performance mods on it and I have yet to have any issues (yes, I'm knocking on wood). It's a well-built 200mph car. Also, if you're going to track it, you're going to want the SVTPP and the track pack as well. The coolers are essential to help mitigate the massive heat buildup. Your dad will love starting/driving it. Let him start it once or twice a month, and have him drive it a few miles every month. Are you in the service?
Yes I'm in the Air Force. Gonna be heading out on deployment soon. OK that's good to know you have no issues. Yeah the DIB one is the only one with the track pack. Tough decision as I don't want to have two DIBs.
Old 4/2/14, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're going to be out of the country for a while, there's no point in buying a $60k car IMO.
Old 4/2/14, 07:58 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
If you're going to be out of the country for a while, there's no point in buying a $60k car IMO.
They won't be available later as far as we know.
Old 4/2/14, 07:59 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Both sound great, good luck to you. The glass roof adds about 30lbs to the top of the car, a slight disadvantage on the track. Also, there are some track organizers that may, indeed, prohibit you from running a glass-roof vehicle (sucks, I know). Both colors look beautiful on a Shelby. And you're getting the car of MY dreams! Definitely have your Dad drive it 1-2 times per month, and have him also run all the systems on the car (windows, door locks, trunk release, A/C, heater, etc.). Also look into some fuel treatments to add to the tank, to help reduce moisture in the system. If you need any help, I'd be happy to watch your car for you!!! Ha, kidding! Thank you for your service, stay safe, enjoy your amazing new car, whichever one you choose.
Old 4/2/14, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MDkid92
I'd say get the DIB, since it's got all the options! And can you get it without the white stripes(switch to black, or none at all?) that's what I would do. Good luck!
I could get my dealer here to switch out the stripes but I definitely want it to have stripes.

Not if that car may not be around when you get back. It's becoming harder to find a Shelby I like and I don't like the '15 so I don't want to wait and see if there is actually a Shelby offering for that.
Old 4/2/14, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's a rather ignorant statement...
Old 4/2/14, 09:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes^ I know it's hard to fathom for some but dealerships can't keep those 60k plus cars on the lot.
Old 4/3/14, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I would go with the Ruby Red. Don't feel bad about storing your car for a few months. I store my Mustangs from December until April. I do not start and run my Mustangs during storage and have had no problems with them. On the other hand, I have had friends who would start their Mustangs every month and had their exhaust deteriorate because they did not warm them up long enough to get the moisture out of the exhaust. Also, I always remove the batteries before storage to prevent corrosion.
Old 4/3/14, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I could get my dealer here to switch out the stripes but I definitely want it to have stripes.
Then I would get matte black stripes! Just my opinion, but I think they're so bad@$$ looking! I also think if you decided to get the ruby red, you'd wish later on that you should've went with the track pack/plus all other options. We're talking 60k+, go all out and get the best options.
Old 4/3/14, 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Only you can choose the color you prefer.

There are tracks around the country that won't let you run your car with the glass roof.

Buy a good trickle charger and you won't need to worry about storing the car for long periods of time. Both of our Mustangs take 5 months off each year during the snowy season.

Congrats, enjoy.
Old 4/3/14, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the DIB now as it has the options I want. They told me I can take my time deciding as long as no one else is interested and at the moment there isn't any. The cars are at a dealer in Richmond, VA which is in my home state and where I'll be going home on leave so I will get a chance to drive it before I leave. Gonna drive it to Roanoke, VA where my Mom lives and then to Charlotte, NC where it will be stored with my Dad. It's gonna be hard to leave it after I drive it!
Old 4/3/14, 09:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the DIB now as it has the options I want. They told me I can take my time deciding as long as no one else is interested and at the moment there isn't any. The cars are at a dealer in Richmond, VA which is in my home state and where I'll be going home on leave so I will get a chance to drive it before I leave. Gonna drive it to Roanoke, VA where my Mom lives and then to Charlotte, NC where it will be stored with my Dad. It's gonna be hard to leave it after I drive it!
Take your time deciding as long as you choose DIB

LOL, i am biased
Old 4/4/14, 06:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Good luck with your decision..
Old 4/4/14, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on you dream car! You are smart by buying now. IMO the 13'-14' Shelby will be a sought after model.

Don't worry about letting it sit. My car has been sitting in the garage for over 6 moths now But I have started it up a few times this winter. Right now it is on jack stands. The rims are on the way home form California. We had them chromed and they are very pretty!!! Is it bad that the rims made it to California before I did? lol

Last edited by Shelby Mama; 4/4/14 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally about to Close the Deal On My Dream Car!