Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

build time/turn around for GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/13, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question build time/turn around for GT500?

I am shooting for AUG 1st. I am gonna start making some calls, and find out...but I am looking to purchase a ruby red GT500 with either black stripes or white stripes by AUG 1. I need to know approx build time from order to deliver to the dealer. I know on a chevy, you can track everything from order number to ship and deliver on a new chev, but I understand we are not that fortunate with ford. No worries... I wanna know first hand how long the wait time is, starting the ball rolling NOW.
Old 5/18/13, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I was told 6 weeks. Perfect. I would like to order a gt 500 the wk if june 15th.
If anyone wants to make a sale send me a pm. Thanks.
I decided today on color options and acc options.
Old 5/18/13, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by osso12
I was told 6 weeks. Perfect. I would like to order a gt 500 the wk if june 15th.
If anyone wants to make a sale send me a pm. Thanks.
I decided today on color options and acc options.
Order sooner than later! Who knows when the Shelby production will stop! Who knows with the redesign for 2015..... Good luck! We ordered our Shelby 2/8/13 showed up at the dealership 4/18/13. Ordered to delivered in 10 weeks.
Old 5/18/13, 11:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am shooting for AUG 1st. I am gonna start making some calls, and find out...but I am looking to purchase a ruby red GT500 with either black stripes or white stripes by AUG 1. I need to know approx build time from order to deliver to the dealer. I know on a chevy, you can track everything from order number to ship and deliver on a new chev, but I understand we are not that fortunate with ford. No worries... I wanna know first hand how long the wait time is, starting the ball rolling NOW.
Hello Osso. I ordered my Shelby on 4/3 and it was just scheduled this week. I have a build date the week of 6/3 and expect delivery mid-June. Like Shelby Mama, I am looking at 10 weeks order to delivery. Don't forget, Flat Rock is closed (4 or 5 weeks) from late June and almost all of July. Wanting a Mustang on August 1st might not be possible unless you are buying one off the lot or get a custom order built before the plant closes. If you are wanting to custom order, I would recommend doing it ASAP so you either A) get one of the last cars built before shutdown or B) get one of the first cars built after the plant reopens.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by saparish; 5/18/13 at 11:32 PM.
Old 5/19/13, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow. So i need to order now, or move my order date to june 1 instead of june 15th to get it by aug 1st. I do not want to take delivery prior to aug 1. If i order this fri the 24th should make it 11 wks. Wow good thing i asked so i do meed the ball rolling from now forward.
Now looks like i need to find a dealership to work with and get the car ordered. Next issue... See if i can get it ordered with 0 down or ordered with $500 down w/ option to refund.
Anyone? I have my own financing and any down i want any deposit refunded at signing. Thats why i don't like the idea of deposits on something that should be availabe to buy in the first place.

Last edited by osso12; 5/19/13 at 11:34 AM.
Old 5/19/13, 06:33 PM
GT Member

Wow. So i need to order now, or move my order date to june 1 instead of june 15th to get it by aug 1st. I do not want to take delivery prior to aug 1. If i order this fri the 24th should make it 11 wks. Wow good thing i asked so i do meed the ball rolling from now forward.
Now looks like i need to find a dealership to work with and get the car ordered. Next issue... See if i can get it ordered with 0 down or ordered with $500 down w/ option to refund.
Anyone? I have my own financing and any down i want any deposit refunded at signing. Thats why i don't like the idea of deposits on something that should be availabe to buy in the first place.
Hey Osso. I put $1,000 down when I placed my order. I have seen multiple posts on here that say the dealership legally can't keep your deposit. You'll definitely want to find a good dealer to work with. Make sure they still have allocation available. Many dealerships have an allocation of zero or one. If they have no allocation or have already ordered their 1 allocation, they most likely will not get an order picked up. My local dealer had an allocation of 1 and had already ordered a Shelby for their lot. I was thankful they told me this and suggested a few dealers that would have a larger allocation that I should work with.

With only 4 or 5 weeks of production left before the plant closes, I think it would be hard to get a Shelby built before the shutdown (unless you find a dealer with a lot of pull). I believe the plant reopens the final week in July. Sounds like you are going to want to have your car built as quickly as possible when the plant reopens so you can take delivery sometime in August. Make sure you talk to your dealer about your timeline. It seems many Shelby buyers have seen an average 9-10 week turnaround. With no Mustang production occurring for 4 or 5 weeks, it's possible the build time for your car could take even longer than average. I'm guessing here, but if it were me I would be finding a dealer and talking to them ASAP if I was trying to take delivery on Aug. 1,

Best of Luck,
Scott
Old 5/19/13, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Osso,

We also put 1,000 down just like Scott. Our dealer told us that if something came up we would certainly get out down payment back.

Scott,
BTW that Shelby is FREAKIN insane!! Your going to LOVE it! I haven't had a chance to post pics because me and the hubby have been busy putting lots of miles on it!
Old 5/19/13, 10:08 PM
GT Member

Scott,
BTW that Shelby is FREAKIN insane!! Your going to LOVE it! I haven't had a chance to post pics because me and the hubby have been busy putting lots of miles on it! [/QUOTE]

Can't wait to see you pics, Shelby Mama. Hopefully I will have my car very soon. Build week is only a couple weeks away and then transport only has to take it 60 miles to Ann Arbor. I already have a road trip planned around the 4th of July. I grew up in southern Indiana but live in mid-Michigan now. Gonna make the 7 1/2 hour drive back home to see my parents. My dad owned plenty of 60's era muscle cars back in the day but I'm willing to bet none as powerful as the Shelby. Can't wait to see his face when he gets behind the wheel.
Old 5/23/13, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

They can legally keep deposit IF they want to. Its possible to order without a deposit but i dont know of any that will do this for me.
My dealer has 2 allocations. Im getting one, possibly a salesman is getting the other allocation for themselves.
Old 6/8/13, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

If a dealer loses time and money on a specially ordered car because for no reason a prospective buyer just changes his mind, I am aware of nothing to keep a dealer from including a liquidated damages term in the purchase contract. If there is some defect in the vehicle that cannot be corrected so as to comply with the legal doctrine of substantial performance, you can get a deposit back as a matter of right. The same is true if the equipment or color is not as ordered. (There may be some variation in these legal principles based upon individual state laws regarding disclosure, etc.)
Old 6/8/13, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flynford
If a dealer loses time and money on a specially ordered car because for no reason a prospective buyer just changes his mind, I am aware of nothing to keep a dealer from including a liquidated damages term in the purchase contract. If there is some defect in the vehicle that cannot be corrected so as to comply with the legal doctrine of substantial performance, you can get a deposit back as a matter of right. The same is true if the equipment or color is not as ordered. (There may be some variation in these legal principles based upon individual state laws regarding disclosure, etc.)
Not really my first rodeo... I paid $500 dep on a car and for various reasons beyond the manf control, i decided to not take delivery. The dealership told me i could NOT have my deposit back. In this case i did not sign anything on paper. Guess what? My bank fought in my behalf and got the $500 back. On my 2014 shelby ordered i did sign a paper agreeing to deposit and purchase for $1,000. If for some reason i renig, i dont expect the $1,000 back but it dont hurt to ask for it back. I dont plan on renigging, if manf delivers me a 2014 shelby before christmas.
Old 6/8/13, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Does any one know if Ford has an order cutoff date for Mustangs to be produced before the plant shuts down production ?
Old 6/9/13, 02:46 PM
V6 Member

Not really my first rodeo... I paid $500 dep on a car and for various reasons beyond the manf control, i decided to not take delivery. The dealership told me i could NOT have my deposit back. In this case i did not sign anything on paper. Guess what? My bank fought in my behalf and got the $500 back. On my 2014 shelby ordered i did sign a paper agreeing to deposit and purchase for $1,000. If for some reason i renig, i dont expect the $1,000 back but it dont hurt to ask for it back. I dont plan on renigging, if manf delivers me a 2014 shelby before christmas.

Circumstance #1 sounds like a situation in which the dealership had not cashed the deposit check and a stop payment order was issued. If the check had cleared your account, under Article 4 of the UCC, the bank could not do much help you.

Most people getting deposit checks back are benefiting from a PR decision by the dealership. Most dealerships that are really serious about keeping a deposit are going to require a lot more than a $500 or $1000 deposit.
Old 6/13/13, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

From what I see in this thread is that it takes a little over one month from the time a GT 500 is ordered until the time it is scheduled to be built. Is that typical ?
Old 6/13/13, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

I have an order for a GT 500 pending. From what I have seen, it takes approximately 90 days from the date of order to the date of delivery. This is for cars ordered after the production run began earlier this year. However, if you get caught in the July plant idle, it may take longer. For example, I have received information indicating that the Shelby I ordered during the first week of June as a present for my wife should not be expected to be built until the week of July 29, 2013. So our time frame from order to build may be about 60 days. GT mustangs are rolling out on a quicker basis because they are made on seperate, automated line. The Shelbys, I am told, are more of a hand made car. For this reason it takes longer.

Last edited by Flynford; 6/13/13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 6/13/13, 03:39 PM
BOSS Member

I have an order for a GT 500 pending. From what I have seen, it takes approximately 90 days from the date of order to the date of delivery. This is for cars ordered after the production run began earlier this year. However, if you get caught in the July plant idle, it may take longer. For example, I have received information indicating that the Shelby I ordered during the first week of June as a present for my wife should not be expected to be built until the week of July 29, 2013. So our time frame from order to build may be about 60 days. GT mustangs are rolling out on a quicker basis because they are made on seperate, automated line. The Shelbys, I am told, are more of a hand made car. For this reason it takes longer.
You have been told wrong. All Mustangs roll down the same assembly line, Shelby's mixed in with GT's and V6's.
Old 6/13/13, 03:57 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Shelby's don't take any longer to build other than being sent to have stripes put on. The engines are hand built elsewhere, Romeo plant, and then sent to Flat Rock to be put in on the same assembly line as the 5.0 and the 3.7. What takes time is the scheduling as a result of the allocation system. Each regional ford rep has their allocations for their dealerships. Everyone wants there's now but they can't build them all now. So they spread them out. Last year I had to wait till every single dealer in my area got their first allocation before I got my car which was a second allocation. And even then a lot of dealers already had their second or third if they were big enough.

I waited from May till December.

But if you have a date then that's good. I wasn't given any indication of date until late October.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 6/13/13 at 03:58 PM.
Old 6/13/13, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

For example, I have received information indicating that the Shelby I ordered during the first week of June as a present for my wife should not be expected to be built until the week of July 29, 2013.
How did u get a build date already and what status is your order in?
Old 6/13/13, 04:18 PM
V6 Member

How did u get a build date already and what status is your order in?

I do not have a build date. I saw an email between my dealer and someome at Ford that said for me to not expect it to be built until the week of July 29, 2013. I presume the Ford person was a regional person because it dealt with the timing of dealer allocations versus build dates.

I do not have any first hand knowledge about there being a seperate line for Shelbys. Because I was told they are more like a hand bult car I presumed, apparently incorrectly, there must be a seperate line for these. I certainly yield to others who know more about this than me.

Last edited by Flynford; 6/13/13 at 05:54 PM.
Old 6/13/13, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. Have u seen this article?
Thanks snoop for this link:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0102/304200329
Keep us posted on your progress. Ordered my 2014 May 31.

Quick Reply: build time/turn around for GT500?