Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

2011 Shelby GT500 traction challenge

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/10, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Shelby GT500 traction challenge

Just took delivery last week of my 2011 GT500 in Black with the Performance Package. While Ford limits you on the RPM's to 4000 for the 1st 50 start ups, the car is a beast! Much larger than my '04 Steeda modified GT, but I'll get used to it. In all the write ups on the car I've read, there seems to be a traction challenge when drag racing. While I love the look of the wheels that come with the Performance Package, it would be cool to find wheels that look similar, yet allow the use of tires wider than the current rears at 285, I'm think perhaps 305's or 315's.

Does any one have info on leads or experience with the "traction problem?"
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Shelby GT500 traction challenge-front-view-2011-shelby.jpg  
Old 10/7/10, 02:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fjm1235
Just took delivery last week of my 2011 GT500 in Black with the Performance Package. While Ford limits you on the RPM's to 4000 for the 1st 50 start ups, the car is a beast! Much larger than my '04 Steeda modified GT, but I'll get used to it. In all the write ups on the car I've read, there seems to be a traction challenge when drag racing. While I love the look of the wheels that come with the Performance Package, it would be cool to find wheels that look similar, yet allow the use of tires wider than the current rears at 285, I'm think perhaps 305's or 315's.

Very nice, and welcome! I don't think the car is rev limited for the first 50 starts...I've only driven mine maybe a dozen times and I have hit the red line a couple of times. I think the super charger might be turned off until you drive 5 or 10 continuous miles...mine kicked in on the 10 mile ride home from the dealer.
Old 10/7/10, 06:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mjbarnet
Very nice, and welcome! I don't think the car is rev limited for the first 50 starts...I've only driven mine maybe a dozen times and I have hit the red line a couple of times. I think the super charger might be turned off until you drive 5 or 10 continuous miles...mine kicked in on the 10 mile ride home from the dealer.

superchargers cannot be turned off..
Old 10/7/10, 09:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
superchargers cannot be turned off..
Well there is something that limits or prevents the boost from being activated when the car is new. It is disabled by doing 50 startups or driving x number of continuous miles. 07-011 Shelby's are shipped that way.
Old 10/7/10, 09:18 AM
Cobra R Member

A drag radial would be a quick fix solution. There is so much power the stock tires will always break lose. Beyond that you might need to get into a Watt's link. I think Shelby America is looking into offering a Watt's set up and are in the process of testing them out....I doubt this will be offered anytime soon, just something they are looking into.
Old 10/7/10, 11:12 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I would nickname it DARTH I.

CONGRATS!
Old 10/7/10, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
The limit is in throttle valve position. The throttle plates are before the supercharger, so limiting the opening results in less air reaching the supercharger. The reduced volume eliminates the ability to build boost until the "break in" period is complete.
Old 10/8/10, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 4x4xFord
The limit is in throttle valve position. The throttle plates are before the supercharger, so limiting the opening results in less air reaching the supercharger. The reduced volume eliminates the ability to build boost until the "break in" period is complete.
It was night and day when that "limit" opened up and the S/C dumped in!
Old 10/14/10, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer
A drag radial would be a quick fix solution. There is so much power the stock tires will always break lose. Beyond that you might need to get into a Watt's link. I think Shelby America is looking into offering a Watt's set up and are in the process of testing them out....I doubt this will be offered anytime soon, just something they are looking into.
Steeda has a Watt's link. http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-w...d-mustang.html
Old 10/15/10, 04:03 PM
V6 Member

Welcome to purgatory! You have the car, just not the entire powerband. I'm suffering with you - I too am placed on probation until 50 warm cycles have been completed. While this is less than desirable, it's giving me opportunity to familarize myself with the car until the real beast can be unleashed.

I'm thinking traction is the weakest link on this car to making the Shelby perform better. Good luck with it.
Old 10/15/10, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck
Welcome to purgatory! You have the car, just not the entire powerband. I'm suffering with you - I too am placed on probation until 50 warm cycles have been completed. While this is less than desirable, it's giving me opportunity to familarize myself with the car until the real beast can be unleashed.

I'm thinking traction is the weakest link on this car to making the Shelby perform better. Good luck with it.

You don't need the 50 cycles..............5-plus consecutive miles and it kicks in. It's in the manual........
Old 10/15/10, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sharpie
You don't need the 50 cycles..............5-plus consecutive miles and it kicks in. It's in the manual........
In the 2011 supplemental, it does mention one of the engine break-in calibrations requires 50 cycles. I've already driven it more than 5 consecutive miles at a single time.
Old 10/16/10, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Mine only took 5 consecutive miles and it was a GO!

Also Ive been told that the nitto 555r 305's will fit on the stock PP rims. Thats what I plan on soon. Also some LCA's

BTW congrats on the car! We have twins!

Last edited by ewingfly; 10/16/10 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10/18/10, 06:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Well there is something that limits or prevents the boost from being activated when the car is new. It is disabled by doing 50 startups or driving x number of continuous miles. 07-011 Shelby's are shipped that way.
how? Never heard of such a thing. I can see a turbo with electronic controls but a supercharger??
Old 10/18/10, 06:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 4x4xFord

well the throttle is not opening up all the way.. I can see that. But I don't that can control boost of the supercharger. The belt will still spin and boost will still be made..
Old 10/18/10, 07:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
how? Never heard of such a thing. I can see a turbo with electronic controls but a supercharger??
I don't care if you believe it or not. I've got a GT500 and it's a fact, the supplementary owners manual for the GT500 refers to the "limiter" and how to remove it. So there is something that limits performance.

Last edited by Whammer; 10/18/10 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10/18/10, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ewingfly

Also Ive been told that the nitto 555r 305's will fit on the stock PP rims. Thats what I plan on soon.
Keep us posted on how that turns out and if they are an improvement over the stock G2s. I've been kicking around what to do for streetable traction.
Old 10/23/10, 02:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.svtoa.com/svtoaforums/sho...-500-break-in.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...-supercharger/

Exerpt from the 2011 GT500 owners manual supplement:

Introduction SVT HISTORY The Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT) was established in 1991 to "Polish the Ford Oval" by creating low-volume, factory-produced vehicles designed for those select few whose idea of driving is a high-powered, passionate experience -- not just a means of getting from point A to point B. In a move to support this spirited enthusiasm, Ford Motor Company carefully integrated the wide array of talent in the company into a small, cross-functional group of engineers and product planners, housed together under one roof with a common mission: to create vehicles specifically designed to meet the unique needs and desires of the knowledgeable driving enthusiast. Each of nearly 150,000 SVT vehicles produced since the 1993 model year has been designed and developed with the four SVT Hallmarks in mind: Performance, Substance, Exclusivity and Value. These hallmarks have driven the SVT Mustang Cobra and the Cobra R, the SVT F-150 Lightning, the SVT Contour, the SVT Focus, Ford GT, Shelby GT500, GT500KR and the F-15
0 SVT Raptor. We are proud and passionate about what we do, and we're glad you have made us your choice. BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/ competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in. Alternate calibration Your Shelby GT500 power train control module (PCM) strategy contains a feature to limit supercharger boost pressure and engine speed to 4,000 rpm for the first five consecutive miles of vehicle operation or 50 engine start/warm up cycles. This feature is enabled prior to shipment. If neither of these conditions have been satisfied prior to customer delivery, full power will not be available.

2011 05+ Mustang (197) Supplement, 1st Printing USA (fus)

Shelby GT500 unique features
UNIQUE FEATURES

· 5.4L DOHC 32V Supercharged V-8 engine with intercooler -- 550 horsepower @ 6,200 rpm, 510 lb-ft torque @ 4,250 rpm SAE certified · Low-restriction, cold air intake system · SVT tuned 2.75" exhaust system with 4-inch tips · Engine oil cooler · TR-6060 6­speed manual transmission · Twin disc clutch · Anti-lock brake system · Front brakes: Brembo four-piston aluminum calipers with 14-inch vented disc, slotted dust shields and high-performance friction material pads · Rear brakes: include high-performance friction material pads · SVT tuned front and rear suspension · 19 in. x 9.5 in. forged aluminum wheels (standard) · P255/40ZR-19 front, P285/35ZR-19 rear Goodyear F1 tires (standard) · 19 in. x 9.5 in. front, 20 in. x 9.5 in. rear forged aluminum wheels (optional) · P265/40-19 front, P285/35-20 rear directional "R" compound tires (optional) · Unique front fascia, rear fascia, aerodynamically tuned front splitter, fog lamps, hood with functional air extractors and rear decklid spoiler 5

Shelby GT500 unique features
· Limited slip rear differential w/ 3.55 rear axle ratio (3.73 rear axle ratio included on the optional performance package) · Short-throw shifter · Flat blade wiper system · AdvanceTrac Stability Enhancement System with sport mode specifically calibrated and race track tuned. Refer to the Driving section in your Owner's Guide for more information. · Unique instrument cluster with boost gauge and programmable performance shift indicator · Unique Shelby GT500 seats · Leather-wrapped sport steering wheel, shift boot and parking brake handle · I/P appliques, door panels and scuff plates SHELBY GT500 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Upshift Illuminates when it is best to shift to the next highest manual transmission gear to maximize fuel economy. Multi-shift indicators: 1. (Upshift): Set for maximum fuel economy 2. SVT: Performance shift indicator 6

Last edited by Cdvision; 10/23/10 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10/24/10, 11:07 PM

Drag radials or wider rears tires/wheels

Thank for the tips & info all. Any tips on going to wider rear tires? How wide can you go with tires on the stock 20" rear wheels? Would 305's fit?

Also if running drag radials, what size tire/wheel for the rears? Thanks!!
Old 10/28/10, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank for the tips & info all. Any tips on going to wider rear tires? How wide can you go with tires on the stock 20" rear wheels? Would 305's fit?

Also if running drag radials, what size tire/wheel for the rears? Thanks!!
I don't currently own a GT500, but I can tell you that rear tire width is pretty much tapped out at 285 on a 9.5" wide wheel. COULD you go wider? Sure, but your contact patch is going to start getting out of whack. There have been some folks on here who have gotten their stock wheels widened, although I'm not sure how dealers would feel about that as far as warranties go.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
The following users liked this post:
successhawk (10/31/21)

Quick Reply: 2011 Shelby GT500 traction challenge