Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

2011 Shelby GT500 Goes Lightweight with Aluminum Engine, Offers Ultimate in Handling

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/10, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I like the fact that the SVT PP gets a different look than the regular GT500. Kind of like the way the Super Snake looks different than other GT500s. I was also never a fan of the "venetian blind" look of the 2010 and non-SVT PP 2011 GT500 seats. At least with the SVT PP you get the option of deleting the seat accents while keeping the over-the-top stripes. I just wish there were more color combinations, like black stripes on grabber blue.
Old 2/10/10, 09:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Not sure if this was already posted yet...

http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford...yline=true&s=i

Somehow the technology for the new GT500 block is also in the Nissan GT-R too.
Old 2/10/10, 10:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cgoeschel
What happens when one of the cars throws a rod, breaks a piston and it scores the cylinder wall?
You bore it and press a sleeve in.
Old 2/10/10, 10:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Not sure if this was already posted yet...

http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford...yline=true&s=i

Somehow the technology for the new GT500 block is also in the Nissan GT-R too.
Yes it already has. It might pay to take a second and scan the threads.

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=480527

Last edited by bpmurr; 2/11/10 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2/11/10, 08:58 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
Yes it already has. I might pay to take a second and scan the threads.

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=480527
Gotcha. Should have known it was already out there.

It was just a post though, not like I started a duplicate thread.
Old 2/12/10, 12:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
As a 2010 owner I'm not upset I bought one. I got a hell of a price and at the end of the day saved thousands over a new 2011 (not to mention I've been driving it since July). That money will allow me to have a 2010 that's much faster than a stock 2011 even with the SVT package. The only way I'll get a 2011 at this point is to find someone dumb enough to buy my 2010 for what I paid.
I did not mean to insult 2010 buyers. I mostly meant to compliment Ford for upgrading the 2011 lineup so quickly. Plus you are a GT500 owner I think the GT and V6 owners are the ones who are really ticked off!
Old 2/12/10, 03:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 200mphcobra
You bore it and press a sleeve in.
Not necessarily. From Ford's website:

"In addition, the PTWA coating process has been used to recycle damaged and worn aluminum and cast iron engine blocks by applying the wear-resistant coating to the cylinder bore surface. Remanufacturing engines using the PTWA process requires 50 percent to 80 percent less energy to produce compared with a new manufactured engine block – demonstrating another step toward Ford’s commitment to reducing its manufacturing CO2 footprint."

http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...chnology-30443
Old 2/12/10, 04:32 AM
V6 Member

I don't understand why everybody has to go to one extreme or the other.

"Oh, well. I saved money that I'll use to be faster than any 2011 out there."

"Oh, I'll have a 2011, the latest and greatest and better than anything else out there."

:-(

I just think, we're all Mustang fans... from the base V6 (which isn't so 'basic' now), to the all-new 5.0, to a supercharged 5.4L bad-***, aluminum or not! Why do we have to look for bad things to say? There's no reason people should say anything bad about the 2010, as those Mustangs are just as good as the 2011 -- and don't go, "well, performance-wise they're not," because in truth, they are. When it comes right down to it, it's our preferences that make us choose either a 2010, or a 2011.

Can we start saying nice things, please? Life's too short to be petty and unfriendly.
Old 2/12/10, 09:33 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 2/12/10, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas Red
I don't understand why everybody has to go to one extreme or the other.

"Oh, well. I saved money that I'll use to be faster than any 2011 out there."

"Oh, I'll have a 2011, the latest and greatest and better than anything else out there."

:-(

I just think, we're all Mustang fans... from the base V6 (which isn't so 'basic' now), to the all-new 5.0, to a supercharged 5.4L bad-***, aluminum or not! Why do we have to look for bad things to say? There's no reason people should say anything bad about the 2010, as those Mustangs are just as good as the 2011 -- and don't go, "well, performance-wise they're not," because in truth, they are. When it comes right down to it, it's our preferences that make us choose either a 2010, or a 2011.

Can we start saying nice things, please? Life's too short to be petty and unfriendly.
Agreed. But...wouldn't you also agree that you'd feel kinda gypped if you just got a 2010 GT only to see months later, the V6 makes just 10 hp less? Sure the torque is still fairly superior if I remember right (285ftlbs for the V6 and 325 for the 4.6L, right?), but you're still paying V8 car payments (if you didn't get a good deal...like if you bought an early 2010) and insurance premiums for a car only slightly faster than the V6... who is paying a lot less. I'm a little irked about it myself, but progress is progress.

I don't want to spark another V6 vs V8 debate because each has it's own advantages, so ignoring gas mileage, sound, torque, and upgrade potential; looking at strictly speed vs price from the factory, you see my point, no?

Last edited by Cavero; 2/12/10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2/12/10, 10:52 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
good read.
Old 2/12/10, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Actually on Premium, the new 3.7 probably makes 315hp at the crank
Old 2/12/10, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
That settles it. If I ever get a 2010+ I'm going with the V6. Looks better anyway
Old 2/15/10, 01:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Agreed. But...wouldn't you also agree that you'd feel kinda gypped if you just got a 2010 GT only to see months later, the V6 makes just 10 hp less? Sure the torque is still fairly superior if I remember right (285ftlbs for the V6 and 325 for the 4.6L, right?), but you're still paying V8 car payments (if you didn't get a good deal...like if you bought an early 2010) and insurance premiums for a car only slightly faster than the V6... who is paying a lot less. I'm a little irked about it myself, but progress is progress.

I don't want to spark another V6 vs V8 debate because each has it's own advantages, so ignoring gas mileage, sound, torque, and upgrade potential; looking at strictly speed vs price from the factory, you see my point, no?
I do see your point. I was actually one of those guys who was like, "...what? THE SAME ENGINE? FORD, WTF?" when the 2010 was released. Don't get me wrong, I love the engine and wasn't going to upgrade until they got a new engine -- but in the face of the competition, I wanted to see some more results from Ford, just to **** off the fanatics who have to hate other muscle cars.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. I just wish it didn't have to lead to so many bitter remarks.
Old 2/15/10, 09:45 AM
GT Member

My thoughts.....
I was hoping the 2011 would make me want to trade, but its made me angry for a couple of different reasons.
First, weight loss? 100-120lb? people have been whining and crying the 07-09 GT500's are pigs and this is their answer? so a 2011 GT500 with a full tank of gas is the same weight as my 08 GT500 with very little gas?....not sure about the weight distribution etc.
Second, I understand its personal preference with respect to wheels etc.....but why 20" rear and 19" front....dont get it...do many road racers run such a set-up?....also, just assumed it was common knowledge that the 20" alcoa's on the Super Snake were too low profile to get any traction whatsoever.
Lastly, and this really pisses me off....Charge 50K or more for the "top of the line" SVT product, then get gouged for another 3K for an "SVT" package that the car should come with already......its an SVT! for god sakes. Options cool, have to buy and SVT package for your SVT? stupid.
With that said, of course Im happy about the aluminum block, glass roof, more HP, other upgrades, new wheels etc.
Im not angry at Ford nessasarily, their building the best Mustangs of all time IMO, but some of the marketing/sales ideas make me scratch my head and say WTF?
Is the Camaro Z28 going to offer a "Z28 package"?
What do you guys think?
Old 2/15/10, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Well ford is expecting only 25% of the cars to be ordered with the PP pack... It's an option that gives you a different rim and "track ready" components. Not everyone wants lowered and stiffer for general road touring and car shows. Even the Vette gives suspension options. Why is a package with more agressive setup being called a rip off? I don't understand... Even 200K cars have "options and upgrade components." (Porsche has the sport crono pack)

Maybe $3,495 is a little steep for the upgraded components, but I don't see a problem with options... Why is the Nav an option then? It too should be standard? who doesn't want a 7" screen in their dash then?"
Old 2/15/10, 11:50 AM
GT Member

...you may be right....the guys over at svtperformance dont agree with me either......guess Im in the minority on this one.
Old 2/15/10, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

well you have your opinion which you are entitled too... I'm getting the PP myself and am changing my color choice based on the stripe package... I wanted SG with black stripes, but look to be going black with the red stripes... I don't like to SG with the dark rims and red stripes, so I know the feeling of having to compromise. We're two people out of 2,000-4,000 people that will be buying this car... Plus a few thousand more that want to but won't be able to get one. someone in that group has to be happy with the car exactly as it's coming!
Old 2/15/10, 01:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BlueDiamond
My thoughts.....
I was hoping the 2011 would make me want to trade, but its made me angry for a couple of different reasons.
First, weight loss? 100-120lb? people have been whining and crying the 07-09 GT500's are pigs and this is their answer? so a 2011 GT500 with a full tank of gas is the same weight as my 08 GT500 with very little gas?....not sure about the weight distribution etc.
Second, I understand its personal preference with respect to wheels etc.....but why 20" rear and 19" front....dont get it...do many road racers run such a set-up?....also, just assumed it was common knowledge that the 20" alcoa's on the Super Snake were too low profile to get any traction whatsoever.
Lastly, and this really pisses me off....Charge 50K or more for the "top of the line" SVT product, then get gouged for another 3K for an "SVT" package that the car should come with already......its an SVT! for god sakes. Options cool, have to buy and SVT package for your SVT? stupid.
With that said, of course Im happy about the aluminum block, glass roof, more HP, other upgrades, new wheels etc.
Im not angry at Ford nessasarily, their building the best Mustangs of all time IMO, but some of the marketing/sales ideas make me scratch my head and say WTF?
What do you guys think?
I agree with you it doesn't make much sense. I understand GM offers different flavors of the Vette. I think people forget that the GT500 is a different flavor of the Mustang. It should be top of the line right off the showroom floor. With Ford offering "packs" from Ford racing for specific duties such as road racing and drag racing. It's kind of weird to offer a SVT performance pack on a SVT performance car. Like you said are they going to offer the Z28 pack on the Z28? This car should be the best all around performer in stock form. Then allowing the owner to take it in the direction they want.

Last edited by bpmurr; 2/15/10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 2/16/10, 04:38 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDiamond
What do you guys think?
The SVT package might offer damper and spring rates that are considered to harsh by the average guy - even the average SVT guy.

As an example, take a ride in an SGT, the springs are 60% stiffer than the regular GT fare and 20% stiffer than the springs fitted to the 07-09 GT500. I like the ride, but I can see where most people wouldn't.

Quick Reply: 2011 Shelby GT500 Goes Lightweight with Aluminum Engine, Offers Ultimate in Handling