Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/09, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the rumor persists about GM producing the Z/28 (with a 550hp 6.2-liter LS-A now) for 2011. Here is my message to Ford:

We know that the 2011 will have an aluminum block, but don't stop there. At least 20hp more than the Z/28, bigger brakes (Baer?) and call it a GT500KR. Just to be clear, not a special edition, but make the entire 2011 production KRs. Because that it what it should be, the King of the Road!

PS. Paint the rear axle too.
Old 9/22/09, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the Z28 rumor died an official death. Has it come back to life?
Old 9/22/09, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf
So the rumor persists about GM producing the Z/28 (with a 550hp 6.2-liter LS-A now) for 2011. Here is my message to Ford:

We know that the 2011 will have an aluminum block, but don't stop there. At least 20hp more than the Z/28, bigger brakes (Baer?) and call it a GT500KR. Just to be clear, not a special edition, but make the entire 2011 production KRs. Because that it what it should be, the King of the Road!

PS. Paint the rear axle too.

KR is a shelby trade mark. So Ford therefore cant do this.
Old 9/22/09, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
I thought the Z28 rumor died an official death. Has it come back to life?

Autoblog reported yesterday it's back on.
Old 9/22/09, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 302stang
KR is a shelby trade mark. So Ford therefore cant do this.
I'm sure a little green could change that. Wasn't the '67 and '68 only a KR?
Old 9/22/09, 03:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolf
I'm sure a little green could change that. Wasn't the '67 and '68 only a KR?
No, there were GT350's, GT500's, and GT500KR's in '68.
Old 9/22/09, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am also a member of the Camaro5 Forum to support our cause in the mustang bashing. I was notified..as a member that the Z28 is in fact back on but will not be available for at LEAST a year
Old 9/23/09, 12:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

from what i hear the GT500 is dead but the SVT Cobra is alive and well, so really we lose the Shelby name but we gain another Cobra after 2011
Old 9/23/09, 01:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

I fully support dropping the Shelby name from the GT500. It's not like Shelby has any hand in building the cars, they are made 100% at the factory. Shelby didn't really even design anything on the car if I remember correctly, the guys at SVT did everything. Talk about a snub to your hard work.

"Gee thanks SVT, you built a heck of a car. We're going to not name it after you, but rather after Old Man Shelby. He didn't do any work on the car, but he is more famous."

BTW my mother in law has a GT500 and they always call it "The Shelby". Every time they do that I cringe. I refuse to call it a Shelby. It is simply a GT500 to me.

Last edited by theedge67; 9/23/09 at 01:45 AM.
Old 9/23/09, 01:49 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
from what i hear the GT500 is dead but the SVT Cobra is alive and well, so really we lose the Shelby name but we gain another Cobra after 2011
I would love that! it'd probably drop $5K on the price and then I could afford one
Old 9/23/09, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
I fully support dropping the Shelby name from the GT500. It's not like Shelby has any hand in building the cars, they are made 100% at the factory. Shelby didn't really even design anything on the car if I remember correctly, the guys at SVT did everything. Talk about a snub to your hard work.

"Gee thanks SVT, you built a heck of a car. We're going to not name it after you, but rather after Old Man Shelby. He didn't do any work on the car, but he is more famous."

BTW my mother in law has a GT500 and they always call it "The Shelby". Every time they do that I cringe. I refuse to call it a Shelby. It is simply a GT500 to me.

+1 here. i dont see the point of having shelby name on it when the car is in fact built by SVT. bring back the cobra and i would "HIGHLY" consider buying one. imo, ford was greedy for money and shelby needed some extra cash so he just crawled to ford and they let him in. slap a name on the side, charge and extra $25k, do nothing and get rich....
Old 9/23/09, 06:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Shelby did have some input on the car. However, if it was just a Cobra the car would be in a lot more people's hands right now. I could car less either way if the Shelby name is dropped. I already got mine.
Old 9/23/09, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Well, unfortunately I don't think they will move the MSRP down. The savings are probably being absorbed by the aluminum block etc.

Roger
Old 9/23/09, 11:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by bpmurr
However, if it was just a Cobra the car would be in a lot more people's hands right now.
Comparing 03-04 Cobra sales to GT500 sales makes that argument a tough sell. Ford had to heavily rebate the Terminator in what was only that models second year on the market just to get rid of them, and this during a very good economic season. In this much more restrictive market the Terminator would have been a marketplace disaster.

Take the Shelby name off the car and the interest wont be as high. We can argue that it shouldn't be this way until we are blue in the face, but the same thing applies to Ferrari's and Corvettes. How many Vette's would be sold in spite of the terrible interior, horrible seats, and vague steering if they were built by Hyundai with some anonymous badge attached instead of wearing the Corvette label? How many Ferrari 599's would be sold at their asking price if that car were badged as a Nissan? Yeah, the internet is full of people who say that they are clamoring to but a GT500 were it only devoid of the Shelby badge. Unfortunately, the interent was also rife with folks who couldn't wait for their chance to buy a GTO? Later, after the GTo's utter failure we saw those same folks yammering that, if only given the chance, they really would buy a G8...and the same thing happened again. If I were calling the shots at Ford I might order that we do the exact opposite of anything the internet minions call for at this point.

This is like the Camaro 'exclusivity' debate in terms of logic...it just doesn't has out by any logical measure. If Ford couldn't sell the GT500 for the price they are asking and without the need to drastically rebate them merely to get them to move even in a good economy we wouldn't have the car at all. I would guess that the reality is that the mjority of folks who would have bought a SVT Cobra for a price tag that Ford is actually happy to sell such a car for are still buying the GT500 even if they are grumbling about the Shelby tag. The difference is that folks not enamored of the SVT moniker, but who are impressed by the Shelby tag, are buying the car now too. And without the same kind of dreamers who keep Porsche and Ferrari in business, the ultimate Mustang currently referred to as the GT500 wouldn't be here now. Put more simply, people keep insisting that the options are a Shelby GT500 or a SVT Cobra when the reality is far more likely that our options are a Shelby GT500 or nothing at all.

The real problem here is that talk is cheap, particularly on the internet. Ford is paying more attention to the folks who are actually pulling out heir checkbooks, and rightfully so.

Last edited by jsaylor; 9/23/09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 9/23/09, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wow, way to make things overly complex. Bottom line is this. Had the 07 just been labeled a Cobra there wouldn't have been the crazy adms on them. People bought into it because they figured these cars would be "investments" like older Shelby's. Only to find out that they'll have to wait another 30 years to find that out. Had these been normal Cobra's the ADMs would mostly likely be lower and not last as long. I'd be driving a 07-09 Cobra instead of at 2010 GT500. The only reason I have my GT500 now is because I paid $1k over invoice. Any more then that and I'd still be driving my 05 GT around. Let's not forget that a lot of 08 and 09's are still sitting on dealers lots who didn't want to deal.

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Comparing 03-04 Cobra sales to GT500 sales makes that argument a tough sell. Ford had to heavily rebate the Terminator in what was only that models second year on the market just to get rid of them, and this during a very good economic season. In this much more restrictive market the Terminator would have been a marketplace disaster.

Take the Shelby name off the car and the interest wont be as high. We can argue that it shouldn't be this way until we are blue in the face, but the same thing applies to Ferrari's and Corvettes. How many Vette's would be sold in spite of the terrible interior, horrible seats, and vague steering if they were built by Hyundai with some anonymous badge attached instead of wearing the Corvette label? How many Ferrari 599's would be sold at their asking price if that car were badged as a Nissan? Yeah, the internet is full of people who say that they are clamoring to but a GT500 were it only devoid of the Shelby badge. Unfortunately, the interent was also rife with folks who couldn't wait for their chance to buy a GTO? Later, after the GTo's utter failure we saw those same folks yammering that, if only given the chance, they really would buy a G8...and the same thing happened again. If I were calling the shots at Ford I might order that we do the exact opposite of anything the internet minions call for at this point.

This is like the Camaro 'exclusivity' debate in terms of logic...it just doesn't has out by any logical measure. If Ford couldn't sell the GT500 for the price they are asking and without the need to drastically rebate them merely to get them to move even in a good economy we wouldn't have the car at all. I would guess that the reality is that the mjority of folks who would have bought a SVT Cobra for a price tag that Ford is actually happy to sell such a car for are still buying the GT500 even if they are grumbling about the Shelby tag. The difference is that folks not enamored of the SVT moniker, but who are impressed by the Shelby tag, are buying the car now too. And without the same kind of dreamers who keep Porsche and Ferrari in business, the ultimate Mustang currently referred to as the GT500 wouldn't be here now. Put more simply, people keep insisting that the options are a Shelby GT500 or a SVT Cobra when the reality is far more likely that our options are a Shelby GT500 or nothing at all.

The real problem here is that talk is cheap, particularly on the internet. Ford is paying more attention to the folks who are actually pulling out heir checkbooks, and rightfully so.

Last edited by bpmurr; 9/23/09 at 10:03 PM.
Old 9/23/09, 03:18 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by SINBUSTER007
+1 here. i dont see the point of having shelby name on it when the car is in fact built by SVT. bring back the cobra and i would "HIGHLY" consider buying one. imo, ford was greedy for money and shelby needed some extra cash so he just crawled to ford and they let him in. slap a name on the side, charge and extra $25k, do nothing and get rich....
Wait, so the GT500 would only be $25k if not for Shelby's name? LOL

The car is not in fact built by SVT. It is built by UAW line workers at the AAI plant.

You'd consider buying it if it "were a cobra"? It is a Cobra. It actually has MORE Cobra emblems on it than any other "real Cobra". I have a feeling you want one, can't afford it, so are just spewing BS about hating Shelby. I couldn't care less about Shelby either but the car is at a great price for what you get.
Old 9/23/09, 03:22 PM
eci
Banned

I might not be counting all of them but my car has :

2 SVT Door sills
2 SVT cam covers
4 SVT center caps
1 SVT rear faux gas cap
1 SVT air filter shroud logo

I think there are more.

Snubbed? The car says "Shelby" once.
Old 9/23/09, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

But they named it a Shelby GT500. The name of the car is just wrong to me, not necessarily the badges and door sills. Would you be happy if they named the car a Rhombus? No, because that name sucks and it does not fit the car at all. Well, the name Shelby does not fit this car at all because it is not a Shelby in any way.
Old 9/23/09, 03:32 PM
eci
Banned

But they named it a Shelby GT500. The name of the car is just wrong to me, not necessarily the badges and door sills. Would you be happy if they named the car a Rhombus? No, because that name sucks and it does not fit the car at all. Well, the name Shelby does not fit this car at all because it is not a Shelby in any way.
I think it fits it perfectly. Anyone who couldn't see a Shelby coming when the retro stang was released in 2004......come on. It was perfect timing. Retro looks, over the top stripes, awesome powertrain package.... the timing was perfect. You can always buy one, take off the Shelby lettering, and put an SVT logo on the back.
Old 9/23/09, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Shelby did have some input on the car. However, if it was just a Cobra the car would be in a lot more people's hands right now. I could car less either way if the Shelby name is dropped. I already got mine.
Truth be told, Steve Saleen had more to do with the 2007+ Shelby GT500's than Carol Shelby did...

Quick Reply: 2011