Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

The '13 GT500 5.8L in a Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/11, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I know the Corvette handles well and does well in road coarse racing, but I just do not think it looks like a sportscar anymore. To me they look large and combersome. Now, the 1958 to 1963 Covettes looked like sporty cars. The Ford GT looks like a race car and I think of it as a racecar, but I dont think of it as a real sportscar even though it won what are called races for sportcars. The Shelby Cobra was one of the last true sportscars.
+1 on the shelby cobra
Old 11/27/11, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Yes, Ford rocks! Let me make it clear that I've got nothing at all against the Vette's performance (or even its interior). I just feel that its looks are inferior, and until there is a radical change at GM/Chevy, it will continue on its current path making it a car that I've got very little interest in owning. Let's put it this way: it's been 45 years since Ford created the GT40, and NOTHING Corvette has come anywhere near the GT's beauty. How can GM/Chevy allow that to be?
Old 11/27/11, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

There are a few pictures floatin aroun somewherre ofthe next gen zr-1. Looks goo IMO
Old 11/27/11, 08:38 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about price?

If it was a true GT successor I wouldn't mind it being in the $150K range. But if it's just a ZR1 competitor it's gonna need to be significantly less
Old 11/28/11, 07:32 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinoy361
Chevy got it right with the vette...with everthing except interior design at least
Yep its the affordable supercar and its a shame Ford isn't flush with cash and could afford to gamble on something like a true sports car.

If it were me, I'd set my sights on the Z06 as the baseline for such a car then out do the vette where most people find fault. In the dynamics of the vehicle, there I'd look to somebody like Porsche and the praise people heap on them for the way they go about thier business then wrap it in a body thats every bit as sexy as a Ford GT for a decent price (like aforementioned 60k) and call it a win.
Old 11/28/11, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob

Yep its the affordable supercar and its a shame Ford isn't flush with cash and could afford to gamble on something like a true sports car.

If it were me, I'd set my sights on the Z06 as the baseline for such a car then out do the vette where most people find fault. In the dynamics of the vehicle, there I'd look to somebody like Porsche and the praise people heap on them for the way they go about thier business then wrap it in a body thats every bit as sexy as a Ford GT for a decent price (like aforementioned 60k) and call it a win.
Considering the GT cost over 100k originally im pretty sure it would cost around 150k since the new shelby will most likely be near 60k. Plus the kind of refinement and development put into a GT successor will take alot of money. Carbon fiber, hydroformed aluminum, thinner panels, lighter materials everywhere, suspension, driveline, powertrain, interior, the list goes on and on. Heck wed be lucky if it was een close to the price of a fully optioned zr-1. But as long as its a TRUE GT successor then i will oay the price
Old 11/29/11, 02:43 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Pinoy361

Considering the GT cost over 100k originally im pretty sure it would cost around 150k since the new shelby will most likely be near 60k. Plus the kind of refinement and development put into a GT successor will take alot of money. Carbon fiber, hydroformed aluminum, thinner panels, lighter materials everywhere, suspension, driveline, powertrain, interior, the list goes on and on. Heck wed be lucky if it was een close to the price of a fully optioned zr-1. But as long as its a TRUE GT successor then i will oay the price
Thats not what Im thinking about, rather something more conventional. The C6 ZO6 was able to eclipse the GT in performance for less than half the price.

<edit> was nessecarily brief in my first repsonse since it was from my phone as I was clocking back in <edit>

I'm not thinking of a pure Ford GT successor, one that highlights the company's technical capability. No, I'm thinking more of a regular production car that uses a more conventional build method. It could be a unibody for all I care, it could even use a strut front end. Just make it naturally aspirated and mid-engined with the Z06 as the baseline for performance specs and use something like the Cayman/911 for the dynamics.

You dont put Corvette on "hiatus" by offering a 150-200k mega car, thats for a select few people who can afford that kind of thing, no I'm talking going head to head with the regular car and offering 70k Corvette performance for 10k less and sealing the deal with things like a better interior and more intuitive steering and braking.

Last edited by bob; 11/29/11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11/29/11, 08:50 PM
GT Member

"The C6 ZO6 was able to eclipse the GT in performance for less than half the price." Really? In every category, select categories, your desired categories? And, were the two cars even designed for the same purpose? By the way, which of the two could be easily and affordably modded for an additional 100+ rwhp? So, do you think that Ford left a little on the table with the GT (just like to 2013 GT500)? One other thing: The Z06 is basically a throw away car which the Ford GT most certainly isn't. I doubt that Ford will have its successor to the GT be anything less than the what GT is and certainly not some throw away like the Corvette.

Last edited by PaulVincent; 11/29/11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11/29/11, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

When it comes to the vette vs GT it's simple, the vette is more bang for your buck. That being said I live in MN and seeing a corvette even a z06 or zr1 isn't a rare occasion and seeing a ford gt doesn't happen. Since its release I have seen a total of 2 and one was at the state fair behind ropes. The GT is cooler

When it comes to a 5.8 in a gt well I'd say it only a matter of time before we see a GT on YouTube with a 5.8 in it

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 11/29/11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11/29/11, 09:07 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I've seen 2 GTs in the wild on the road. Both times it was like seeing the Pope or something if I were Catholic. If my wife wouldn't divorce me I'd sell the house and move into a trailer and buy a GT.
Old 11/29/11, 09:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Ive seen a GT a few times in Pittsburgh - mount pleasant tx area but that's cause Carroll Shelby owns it and lives in Pittsburgh. But ive seen few compared to vettes I agree with hahnsolo GTs way cooler
Old 11/29/11, 09:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

@ Paul

Well I wasn't so much as talking about a Ford GT successor as I was a Corvette competitor.

But since you asked

Corvette Z06 beats the Ford GT's Lightning Lap time by 2 seconds and later by 6 seconds
source: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2011-page-8

Corvette Z06 beats Ford GT's 'ring time by 18 seconds
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%c3%bcrburgring_lap_times

As for desired purpose, no the Ford GT was pretty much a "hey we can build a great car too" where the Z06 is GM's track car, like say a Porsche GT3. You can get your panties in a twist all you want but the Ford GT is as about as relavent to most people as the ZR1 is or a 911 GT2 RS or any Ferrarri or Lambo. They aren't even on the aspirational radar for most people, ergo irrelavent except as car ****.

No what I'm saying is it would be great to have an honest sports car from Ford that offered Z06 levels of performance with Porsche levels of refinement at a price that would make such a car relavent to most people.

Last edited by bob; 11/29/11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12/1/11, 09:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by hahnsolo78

When it comes to a 5.8 in a gt well I'd say it only a matter of time before we see a GT on YouTube with a 5.8 in it
It won't happen, and here's why. The GT's 5.4L engine was dry sump Its oil tank was behind the passenger bulkhead, in the engine bay, and the 5.8 in the GT500 is wet sump. The GT needed dry sump for several reasons, but mainly for how low it sat in the car (a regular oil pan holding oil won't work) and for the cornering forces that the GT can produce. The engineers didn't want the GT starving of oil while cornering.

The GT500 engine doesn't have dry sump and to make it work that way, while it can be done, would require ALOT of engineering. The motor in the GT is fine the way it is. Plenty of power and plenty strong enough to handle LOTS more!!!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 12/1/11 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12/4/11, 09:43 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This engine will make a nice upgrade under the hood of my Cobra...
Old 12/4/11, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
@ Paul

Well I wasn't so much as talking about a Ford GT successor as I was a Corvette competitor.

But since you asked

Corvette Z06 beats the Ford GT's Lightning Lap time by 2 seconds and later by 6 seconds

As for desired purpose, no the Ford GT was pretty much a "hey we can build a great car too" where the Z06 is GM's track car, like say a Porsche GT3. You can get your panties in a twist all you want but the Ford GT is as about as relavent to most people as the ZR1 is or a 911 GT2 RS or any Ferrarri or Lambo. They aren't even on the aspirational radar for most people, ergo irrelavent except as car ****.

No what I'm saying is it would be great to have an honest sports car from Ford that offered Z06 levels of performance with Porsche levels of refinement at a price that would make such a car relavent to most people.
Standing mile results are missing. Why? Check both stock as well as modified.
Old 12/6/11, 09:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by PaulVincent
Standing mile results are missing. Why? Check both stock as well as modified.
I wasn't really interested in digging up the standing mile or 1/4 mile times for each car. I know the Ford GT has a higher top speed but frankly thats only one dimension for both cars where both the VIR and 'ring times show more dynamic performance since its a culmination of accleration, road holding and braking and in the case of the Nurburgring almost certainly top speed.

I'm not saying the Ford GT is a bad car or not worth the money (I'd certainly pay the ridiculous ADMs that still exist to get a low mileage or virgin example of a sapphire blue car if I had the money to do so) but the Corvette Z06 shows that the same level of performance (terminal speed not withstanding) is accessible in a regular production car at half the price.

Now I'd certianly like to hear why Ford cant achieve that level of performance in a regular production car or if they can why somebody with the income to afford a 60 or 70k Ford sports car doesn't deserve it?
Old 12/7/11, 06:23 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
@ Paul

But since you asked

Bench racing at its finest. Comparing two different cars on the same track five years apart, you failed to note that the Z06 and the GT tested at the same track, for the same model year had the GT a second faster than the Z06.

Citing Wikipedia? C'mon man. Using the same yardstick you are applying, one could easily claim the Z06 was faster around the ring than the Dodge Viper (and according to the Wiki link you provided it certainly was--faster than the 2005 time for the Viper.) Of course the ring time for the most current Z06 is considerably slower than the last trip around the circuit than the most current Viper ACR.

The Corvette is a great sports car. It's a true automotive icon and great bang for the bucks. But the Ford GT was simply unique. Ford made the only American exotic--the only car to come from Detroit that could compete with Lamborghini, Porsche, and Ferrari in style, performance and cache.

I do however, find myself agreeing with your call for a 'sports car' from Ford to compete with the Corvette. Though quite frankly in these economic times, it probably doesn't pass the financial test. Even GM has been concerned about the sales of the Corvette. Competition has stepped up in recent years. The Nissan 370Z is a nice alternative to the Corvette. The GT-R is undeniably a wicked performance machine. And if rumors of the V8 Genesis coupe are true, even Hyundai could be a player in the sports car segment.
Old 12/8/11, 11:28 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by bt4
Bench racing at its finest. Comparing two different cars on the same track five years apart, you failed to note that the Z06 and the GT tested at the same track, for the same model year had the GT a second faster than the Z06.

Citing Wikipedia? C'mon man. Using the same yardstick you are applying, one could easily claim the Z06 was faster around the ring than the Dodge Viper (and according to the Wiki link you provided it certainly was--faster than the 2005 time for the Viper.) Of course the ring time for the most current Z06 is considerably slower than the last trip around the circuit than the most current Viper ACR.

The Corvette is a great sports car. It's a true automotive icon and great bang for the bucks. But the Ford GT was simply unique. Ford made the only American exotic--the only car to come from Detroit that could compete with Lamborghini, Porsche, and Ferrari in style, performance and cache.

I do however, find myself agreeing with your call for a 'sports car' from Ford to compete with the Corvette. Though quite frankly in these economic times, it probably doesn't pass the financial test. Even GM has been concerned about the sales of the Corvette. Competition has stepped up in recent years. The Nissan 370Z is a nice alternative to the Corvette. The GT-R is undeniably a wicked performance machine. And if rumors of the V8 Genesis coupe are true, even Hyundai could be a player in the sports car segment.
This.
Old 12/8/11, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
I wasn't really interested in digging up the standing mile or 1/4 mile times for each car. I know the Ford GT has a higher top speed but frankly thats only one dimension for both cars where both the VIR and 'ring times show more dynamic performance since its a culmination of accleration, road holding and braking and in the case of the Nurburgring almost certainly top speed.

I'm not saying the Ford GT is a bad car or not worth the money (I'd certainly pay the ridiculous ADMs that still exist to get a low mileage or virgin example of a sapphire blue car if I had the money to do so) but the Corvette Z06 shows that the same level of performance (terminal speed not withstanding) is accessible in a regular production car at half the price.

Now I'd certianly like to hear why Ford cant achieve that level of performance in a regular production car or if they can why somebody with the income to afford a 60 or 70k Ford sports car doesn't deserve it?
I'll bite. Comparing a corvette to the GT is like comparing an EVO to Ferrari. One is a standalone high end exotic and the other is a tarted up low end model. Mitsubishi could stroke the engine, put larger turbos on it and make it fast enough to outrun a ferrari for less. Would it be better than the ferrari since it was faster and cheaper?

Producing a car with high end materials and amortizing the costs over 4000 units is a totally different ballgame than a regular production car where you might build 100k+ units utilizing inexpensive materials. The GT was made to be a badass car. The vette was made to make money. There is a big difference.

Ford GT - Aluminum and Carbon Body, full leather/aluminum/magnesium interior, 4000 total built. Built as a celebration of 100 years of Ford Motor Company. Timeless design, monern interpretation of one of the most iconic race cars of all time.

Corvette - Plastic body, plastic suspension, plastic interior, lift the hood? more plastic. 25,000 built every year. Starting at 40,000 with rebates or 0% interest financing available. Fast on a budget. Bang for the buck etc.

Sterotypical GT owner - Rich car guy. Owns a piece of automotive history.
Sterotypical Vette owner - Balding, mid-life crisis, gold chain wearing old man. Owns a car that will be worth 50% of it's purchase price in three years.

Cheap does not equal desirability. Here is the contest, place a ZO6 or ZR1 next to a GT, keys in ignitions and titles on the seat. Out of 100 people, how many will jump in a vette and drive away?

Exactly.
Old 12/9/11, 12:43 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
The thought just came to me.

Do it. Do it NOW.

Back to the OP. More like adapt the refinements of the 2013 GT500 engine/ECU into a Ford GT - along with the launch and stability control features could make a great car even greater.

I've seen more Ford GTs on the road than the ZR1 (zero). Particularly, a heritage Gulf version bearing the plates "F ENZO" that gets shipped over to the CONUS for high speed runs on a regular basis. Z06 are like a dime a dozen in comparison.

Quick Reply: The '13 GT500 5.8L in a Ford GT