Notices
'10-14 Special Editions and Aftermarket Mustangs

This paragraph iritates me, in so many ways...

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/12, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry This paragraph iritates me, in so many ways...

From that esteemed bastion of automotive journalism, about.com;

Since Ford's 650 hp Shelby GT500 is still a few months out, the ZL1's closest rival is the Ford Mustang Boss 302. The Boss feels lighter and quite a bit more nimble, probably because GM didn't seem to put the much of an emphasis on weight reduction. The ZL1 weighs over 4,100 lbs, a quarter-ton more than the Boss, and it shows in the way the two cars feel on the track. Driving the Boss is like carving a steak with a razor-sharp knife; driving the ZL1 is like whacking the crap out of it with a meat cleaver. But the Boss can't match the ZL1's brute power, and it's also a lot less comfortable as a daily driver. The closest Chrysler comes is the Dodge Challenger SRT8, which is not in the same league in terms of handling. Still, if you want noise, speed and fury, the Challenger does all that pretty well -- but why not spend a few extra grand and get the whole package with the ZL1?

What they got right - What they got wrong

It would be easy to take the cheap shot at the writer who spun out in the rain, so I'll just disagree with his take. Can't match the brute power? I really don't think that the Boss was meant to put out GT500 power levels, cause um, that's why the GT500 exists...

Full link here;

http://cars.about.com/od/chevrolet/f...Zl1-Review.htm

What y'all think?
Old 2/29/12, 09:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I think it ultimately doesn't matter. A buyer is going to buy a car based on what THEY like, and what FITS them.

I will NEVER buy a Camaro, or a Vette. I simply don't fit in them, and they don't fit me.

Doesn't mean I can't admire a Vette or two. I just won't have one. And I'm ok with it.

The bold parts? They didn't get wrong, I'm thinking. There's like 120ish HP difference, and the DD part... neither is going to be awesome, but the electroshocks probably help the overall ride of the 'maro.

A daily driver is NOT about the seats, position, visibility... although that helps. The harshness of the ride is more important. You can have the best interior, but if the car physically beats you up... not a Daily Driver. For some. Most. I know it'd tick me off if I had zero dampening.

Last edited by houtex; 2/29/12 at 09:26 PM.
Old 3/1/12, 12:49 AM
cjb

I don't get the comparison either, why not compare the bowtie to a '12 GT500?
Old 3/1/12, 03:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm cool with it. Note the statement before, "Driving the Boss is like carving a steak with a razor-sharp knife; driving the ZL1 is like whacking the crap out of it with a meat cleaver."
Old 3/1/12, 04:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I'm all good with it. He's entitled to his opinion and he gets paid for it too
Old 3/2/12, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't get it. this statement "But the Boss can't match the ZL1's brute power" is fact.
Old 3/3/12, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JeffL
I don't get it. this statement "But the Boss can't match the ZL1's brute power" is fact.
Agreed. Just sayin' it should have been the GT500, not the Boss.
Old 3/3/12, 01:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
If the boss is that much more well-mannered on the track...what does that say about the supposed advantage the zl1 has on the '13 GT500? The suspension looks much improved under the Shelby, and if it can come close to what the boss does in terms of keeping the car in line, the big storm that's coming between the ZL1and the '13 Shelby will be a massive disappointment for the bowtie folks.
Old 3/3/12, 06:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
If the boss is that much more well-mannered on the track...what does that say about the supposed advantage the zl1 has on the '13 GT500? The suspension looks much improved under the Shelby, and if it can come close to what the boss does in terms of keeping the car in line, the big storm that's coming between the ZL1and the '13 Shelby will be a massive disappointment for the bowtie folks.
As much as I am impressed with what the magic magnetic shocks have done for the lard arsed Camaro I still believe the new GT500 will outperform it. But it will take a more experience braver driver. The shocks and the IRS do make for a more confident ride IMHO.