Bold Moves Mustang Club Forum dedicated to the Bold Moves Mustang Club Of Tulsa, OK.

Help a Brother Out!! What mod do I go for next??

Old 11/6/07, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help a Brother Out!! What mod do I go for next??

After seeing all of you guys’ great cars on the Eureka Springs cruise, I'm hankerin' for my next mod. I know that you’ll all have some great ideas as to what I should (or should not) do to mine. Below are the mods, in no particular order or priority, that I’m considering. Keep in mind that mine is an automatic; presently I’ve only installed a CAI kit with a custom dyno tune – no suspension, brake, or other mods have been done to date. Also note that although I’m not ruling out the occasional ride down the drag strip, mine will mainly be used on the street/highway so I’m looking for the best acceleration and ride possible under those conditions.

1.) FRPP gears – thinking about going for the 4.10s; but would 3.73 be better with my auto? And is there still a fellow at BHF that can install these?

2.) PI 3000 stall torque converter – I say “PI” only because I seem to have read more positive things about their product in online forums than other manufacturers’. Do you think I should go for a new TC? If so, should it be anything other than 3000 (or a PI)? I’ve also read that you shouldn’t install anything over 3000 for regular street use. Can the BHF installer who does the rear end gears also install a TC?

3.) Suspension (springs; etc.) – I really like the way mine handles stock, so I’m thinking I may leave it as is in this department. If you think I shouldn’t, convince me why.

4.) Underdrive pulleys - seems like all you guys have them; is there really a noticeable increase in HP from this mod?

And lastly, would any of these mods (other than suspension, of course) require a re-tune? What about changing gears – that will obviously affect speedometer/odometer accuracy; can that be corrected through tuning? Thanks for your input, and feel free to suggest any other mods you think will help my steed; just be prepared to chip in on anything you suggest that costs over $200.00.
Old 11/6/07, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by groupset
After seeing all of you guys’ great cars on the Eureka Springs cruise, I'm hankerin' for my next mod. I know that you’ll all have some great ideas as to what I should (or should not) do to mine. Below are the mods, in no particular order or priority, that I’m considering. Keep in mind that mine is an automatic; presently I’ve only installed a CAI kit with a custom dyno tune – no suspension, brake, or other mods have been done to date. Also note that although I’m not ruling out the occasional ride down the drag strip, mine will mainly be used on the street/highway so I’m looking for the best acceleration and ride possible under those conditions.

1.) FRPP gears – thinking about going for the 4.10s; but would 3.73 be better with my auto? And is there still a fellow at BHF that can install these? Go with the 373's if you don't plan on hardcore drag racing they are better suited for the auto. These require speedometer recalibration via your SCT or Diablo tuner real easy to change the setting yourself. And yes there is a guy at BHF that can install for 200 bucks.

2.) PI 3000 stall torque converter – I say “PI” only because I seem to have read more positive things about their product in online forums than other manufacturers’. Do you think I should go for a new TC? If so, should it be anything other than 3000 (or a PI)? I’ve also read that you shouldn’t install anything over 3000 for regular street use. Can the BHF installer who does the rear end gears also install a TC? I'm unfortunately not the right person to ask on the auto trans stuff as I have driven a stick all my life and couldn't help much here. I say research as much as you can and make your decision on that. That being said you can adjust some settings in the tune for shift points and firmness that may suit your needs. I am sure that the tech at BHF can do the converter if necessary not sure on the amount there?

3.) Suspension (springs; etc.) – I really like the way mine handles stock, so I’m thinking I may leave it as is in this department. If you think I shouldn’t, convince me why. I would go ahead and do lowering springs. They do improve handling without sacrificing too much in ride quality. The biggest difference is in nose dive. This is greatly reduced with springs. Be careful which brand you choose because for example the Eibach lowers much more than say the Steeda springs. I have the Steeda and love them Paul and some of the others have the Eibach. For they money (around 200 bucks) it is a good cosmetic enhancement as well offering some performance gains.

4.) Underdrive pulleys - seems like all you guys have them; is there really a noticeable increase in HP from this mod? UDP's are an easy inexpensive mod that can be done in about 20 minutes and are worth a little in power gains. With the disadvantage of the auto trans this will help you make up some ground on the stick cars. (drivetrain loss).

And lastly, would any of these mods (other than suspension, of course) require a re-tune? What about changing gears – that will obviously affect speedometer/odometer accuracy; can that be corrected through tuning? Thanks for your input, and feel free to suggest any other mods you think will help my steed; just be prepared to chip in on anything you suggest that costs over $200.00.
I would look at also adding some sound to your steed. I like the Flowmaster sound with an off road h-pipe but hey thats me. Oh and if you really want to have some fun add a supercharger.
Old 11/6/07, 01:06 PM

David... There is one thing I didn't see on there and that is a CAI and Tune. IMO this is the best bang for the buck out there. Then gears and UDP.

The TC you have choosen IS tops. I ran a PI one on one of my Gen one Lightnings and loved it. I did a bunch of research and PI gets my vote. Good quality. However, unless your going to make it a hard core racer or slap on a Turbo or SC... I'd make this one of the last mods you do. Ford really hit a homerun with the new Auto tranny. It's should be just fine for now.

Springs... Another good mod. Love the Looks and and improved handling. Plus we can install them for you.
Old 11/6/07, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2006GT
David... There is one thing I didn't see on there and that is a CAI and Tune. IMO this is the best bang for the buck out there. Then gears and UDP.

The TC you have choosen IS tops. I ran a PI one on one of my Gen one Lightnings and loved it. I did a bunch of research and PI gets my vote. Good quality. However, unless your going to make it a hard core racer or slap on a Turbo or SC... I'd make this one of the last mods you do. Ford really hit a homerun with the new Auto tranny. It's should be just fine for now.

Springs... Another good mod. Love the Looks and and improved handling. Plus we can install them for you.
he already has that, it is in the 1st paragraph
Old 11/6/07, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2006GT

he already has that, it is in the 1st paragraph
Old 11/6/07, 01:39 PM

presently I’ve only installed a CAI kit with a custom dyno tune – no suspension, brake, or other mods have been done to date.

Paul it says right here that he has a CAI and tune. Have you gone Jerbear on me?
Old 11/6/07, 01:43 PM

Put your glasses on old man...
Old 11/6/07, 01:56 PM

Sorry. Read it too fast. Now F-OFF!
Old 11/6/07, 02:04 PM

Old 11/6/07, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
settle down boys, go to your corner in the garage and take a time out. LOL
Old 11/6/07, 03:14 PM

Wow, Paul-Stress less, have a beer and all will be well...:-)
Old 11/6/07, 03:33 PM

make sure its a baby beer...
Old 11/6/07, 04:33 PM

1.) FRPP gears – thinking about going for the 4.10s; but would 3.73 be better with my auto? And is there still a fellow at BHF that can install these?

2.) PI 3000 stall torque converter – I say “PI†only because I seem to have read more positive things about their product in online forums than other manufacturers’. Do you think I should go for a new TC? If so, should it be anything other than 3000 (or a PI)? I’ve also read that you shouldn’t install anything over 3000 for regular street use. Can the BHF installer who does the rear end gears also install a TC?

3.) Suspension (springs; etc.) – I really like the way mine handles stock, so I’m thinking I may leave it as is in this department. If you think I shouldn’t, convince me why.

4.) Underdrive pulleys - seems like all you guys have them; is there really a noticeable increase in HP from this mod?

1) Being that you have an Automatic i would go with davids suggestion here. 3.73 seems to be the top choice for the auto. What gears do you currently have? This would be one of the best mods performance wise other than a CAI and tune... WHICH PAUL he already has hehe Gears dont require a tune... you already have the SCT tuner... Gear ratio is an adjustable perameter that you can do yourself.

2)Like david I have owned mostly stick cars and am not going to be much help in this area.

3)I personally love the Eibach Pro Kit! The steeda springs lower the car about an inch, the Eibach pro kit lowers about 1.4 and 1.3. This is like David said a great aestetic mod as well as a performance mod. Car handles twice as good once lowered. Only thing would be the negative camber it creates which can be easily corrected. I would suggest taking a look at Davids ride and then all the rest are using the Pro kit I believe (me, Paul, Doc, etc..)

4)UDPs are a quick mod that is noticible performance wise. You will notice the RPM running up much quicker than before due to less drivetrain loss. This Mod does not require a tune

My personal opinion... My next mods together would be the UDPs and 3.73 gears. The fun factor goes way up after these mods

UDPs are about a $200 mod..... Gears will run you about $250-$275 for the FRPP (I believe) and another $200 for the install, but well worth it!

Another suggestion would be an Off-Road midpipe... you can find them for under $200 and add a sound fun factor! Easy to install and increase HP. The muffler combo with the off-Road pipe is something you will have to think about and witness the different sounds yourself. All combinations of midpipe and muffler sound different...it has to be your call. Dave has the off-road H with Flowmasters, I have the Off-Road X with Stingers, Doc has Longtubes...offroad X...with Violator mufflers. There are also websites on www.Brenspeed.com to hear some specific combos
Old 11/6/07, 04:42 PM

So after all this what have you decided on Dave?
Old 11/6/07, 05:14 PM

-push start ignition
-different spoiler
-More aggressive wheels with wider tires (its going to cost you though)
-picture of david hasslehoff (signed!!)
-backup camera mod (just to protect your ASSets)
-CMCV delete plates (tune required)

just some more suggestions
Old 11/6/07, 05:14 PM

You could buy a Turbocharger for me...just a suggestion
Old 11/6/07, 05:30 PM

Here is the TCI with carbon fiber.....looks prettttttyy
Old 11/6/07, 06:10 PM

Excellent suggestions - thanks! David - you convinced me to go with the 3.73s; I was leaning that way but wanted to see some other opinions. I'm going with the gears and UDPs for now; will get those installed and think about the torque converter and lowering springs at a later date. David, you're also correct about adjusting the shift points with a tune - Kurtis did that when he tuned mine; it'll chirp the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd now! (Another reason I'll wait awhile on the torque converter.)

Jarrod - good suggestions! And here's your turbocharger Bud:

Can someone give me the contact info on the BHF tech? (PM me.) I need to visit with him... And what UDPs does everyone recommend? Steeda? I'll probably be ordering those pretty soon, so keep me in mind for the next tech day.
Old 11/6/07, 06:20 PM

Yep Steeda is the way to go on the UDP's.. I'll PM you some info on the BHF contact.
Old 11/6/07, 06:30 PM

Steeda here as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help a Brother Out!! What mod do I go for next??