Old 6/29/07, 05:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Real PICS>>>

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-...-track/293553/
Old 6/29/07, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks cool, kinda like a combo of Redfire and Torch Red. If that is Candy Apple it looks like a brighter red than Redfire. It would be interesting to see Candy Apple, Redfire, and Torch Red cars next to each other. But I do like the deep red of Redfire, of course I'm prejudiced.
Old 6/29/07, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like redfire, but brighter.
Old 6/29/07, 07:12 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
that don't look like candy apple red from where I'm sitting
Old 6/29/07, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these new paint colors higher quality or anything? Not saying that the current paint are, I don't hear much about car paint so I'm curious if these are just simple color changes or if there is more to them.
Old 6/29/07, 10:24 PM
V6 Member

The mustang candy color is not a true candy from what I read. Copied below is what I found on the method used vs true candy.

'Candy' - Candy Apple paint is a tinted clearcoat that is either painted in a urethane are a basecoat type clear. This contains a very strong dye that once that is applied over another color to give it extreme depth. Most candy apple jobs are applied over either a silver or gold basecoat. Spraying over different basecoats will give the same color candy apple different effects. If you spray candy apple over white, you will get a "neon" or very bight color effect. Spraying over a black metallic will make the color extremely dark, but you will still see the pearl flakes the same color as the candy apple.

2 Stage Candy - Ford and other automotive companies have developed this paint type to give their paint jobs the "candy" effect. But in reality, this does not work good. The reason--The candy (tint) is actually in the clear itself. So you have a metallic base with this "Tinted Clearcoat" over the base. Yes, a great looking deep looking color when new, but after the years wear on, your clearcoat (with the tint in it) will wear thinner and thinner, thus making your "candy" lighter and lighter each year (Especially on the top surfaces and in the hot climate states).I mention Ford, because I was one of the first painters in our area to spray e9 (Laser Red Tinted Red Clearcoat) and noticed this right off the bat. Why does Ford and other manufacturers do this? Because OSHA has set limits on how much paint they can use. Less is better for all manufacturers.
Old 6/30/07, 12:52 AM
Cobra R Member

i like the colour...don't like pony package wing (carry over from 07 ver)

ps: mich plates...but "Bodyside Mouldings" canadain model?

Old 6/30/07, 09:19 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rookie2332
The mustang candy color is not a true candy from what I read. Copied below is what I found on the method used vs true candy.

'Candy' - Candy Apple paint is a tinted clearcoat that is either painted in a urethane are a basecoat type clear. This contains a very strong dye that once that is applied over another color to give it extreme depth. Most candy apple jobs are applied over either a silver or gold basecoat. Spraying over different basecoats will give the same color candy apple different effects. If you spray candy apple over white, you will get a "neon" or very bight color effect. Spraying over a black metallic will make the color extremely dark, but you will still see the pearl flakes the same color as the candy apple.

2 Stage Candy - Ford and other automotive companies have developed this paint type to give their paint jobs the "candy" effect. But in reality, this does not work good. The reason--The candy (tint) is actually in the clear itself. So you have a metallic base with this "Tinted Clearcoat" over the base. Yes, a great looking deep looking color when new, but after the years wear on, your clearcoat (with the tint in it) will wear thinner and thinner, thus making your "candy" lighter and lighter each year (Especially on the top surfaces and in the hot climate states).I mention Ford, because I was one of the first painters in our area to spray e9 (Laser Red Tinted Red Clearcoat) and noticed this right off the bat. Why does Ford and other manufacturers do this? Because OSHA has set limits on how much paint they can use. Less is better for all manufacturers.
Thanks Chris...I figured it was a half baked attempt at a candy color
Old 6/30/07, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

As far as I know the body side moldings are also on the rental cars in the USA.
Old 6/30/07, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

That sure does look close to Redfire to me.

Here is my car (Redfire Mustang) and a pic of a car that to me looks like candy apple red at a car show (Barrett Jackson).
Attached Thumbnails Real PICS>>>-83.b.jpg   Real PICS>>>-19.b.jpg  
Old 6/30/07, 01:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
While that's a true red... it's not "Dark" nor is it "Candy". I was wondering... but I see it appears to be just Apple Red Clearcoat.

Hm... See, that truck is correct, at least, the "Candy" part. Candy is an overcoat that makes it look deep, darkens the color up a little... The red on that 'Stang is... not.

Maybe in person it'll look better... Just wasn't what I expected though... I'll hold judgement for a little bit longer.
Old 6/30/07, 03:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a link to a pic that Brad had posted on the 08 Mustangs press release. If it looks like this I'll be pleased!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...9&d=1183149063
Old 7/2/07, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Airbrushing, anyone?

/but I hope it looks like that too...
Old 7/3/07, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Sticky Fingers

Back in the 1960's I got used to seeing candy apple red cars that looked a lot like the pics posted on this thread by Doug and Don. Thanks for the pics guys. Those cars looked like if you touched their candy apple red paint, you'd get your fingers sticky.

But I've also noticed in the past that there is a little bit of variation in the colors of different cars called candy apple red.

I like the Mustang's new candy apple red very much, but it's not what I think of when I envision candy apple red. The Mustang's new candy apple red looks like it's close to being like redfire, but a little bit lighter.

Here's a candy apple for ya.

Old 7/3/07, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's exactly the way I feel about it. I'm old enough to remember seeing those cars and it looked like they were "dipped" in color. To me the Mustang candy apple red does look alot like redfire (which I love). Of course I have not seen a candy apple red Mustang in person. It is sometimes hard to tell by just looking at pictures. However, it will look like a great color even if it is not like the old time candy apple red.
Old 7/3/07, 07:38 PM

From the sample sheet I saw it is very close to redfire. Here's a couple of pics of it laid on the hood of a redfire.

That said I'll have to reserve judgement myself untill I see it in person too. If I don't like it, maybe I can work a deal on a 07 Redfire GT!

Originally Posted by Scarpi
That's exactly the way I feel about it. I'm old enough to remember seeing those cars and it looked like they were "dipped" in color. To me the Mustang candy apple red does look alot like redfire (which I love). Of course I have not seen a candy apple red Mustang in person. It is sometimes hard to tell by just looking at pictures. However, it will look like a great color even if it is not like the old time candy apple red.
Attached Thumbnails Real PICS>>>-candy-apple-red-1.jpg   Real PICS>>>-candy-apple-red-2.jpg   Real PICS>>>-candy-apple-red-3.jpg  
Old 7/5/07, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
From the pics posted it looks very very very close to red fire. Hey, redfire is a nice color IMO. Glad to see it's still around, sort of.
Old 7/5/07, 02:52 PM

I think the main difference will be that Candy Apple red won't have the blue hue that Redfire seems to have under different lighting conditions. I'm hoping that it's going to look good on my new Mustang!

Originally Posted by black sunshine
From the pics posted it looks very very very close to red fire. Hey, redfire is a nice color IMO. Glad to see it's still around, sort of.
Old 7/5/07, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new Mustang.

Originally Posted by Falchion
From the sample sheet I saw it is very close to redfire. Here's a couple of pics of it laid on the hood of a redfire.

That said I'll have to reserve judgement myself untill I see it in person too. If I don't like it, maybe I can work a deal on a 07 Redfire GT!
Falchion, you're going to love your new Mustang. You've ordered one with some really great options.

From what I've seen in photos so far, the Candy Apple Red on the new 2008 Mustangs looks terrific.

Old 7/5/07, 06:31 PM

Thanks Ed! Yours looks great too!

I can hardly wait too!

Originally Posted by Mustang_Ed
Falchion, you're going to love your new Mustang. You've ordered one with some really great options.

From what I've seen in photos so far, the Candy Apple Red on the new 2008 Mustangs looks terrific.