Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What recourse when service dept damages car?

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/08, 01:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you SHOULD get this in writing:

"We, XYZ-Ford Dealership, will pay for any value lost during a certified appraisal process within the next 5 years due to our neglect, which resulted in damage and incurred repairs to this vehicle."

Yeah, good luck, lol... You are SO right about keying the GT500 though and I'm sorry others around here give you the cold shoulder... Per your example, the dealer would only THEN feel what you are feeling. Others around here won't understand until their own dealership damages their beloved Mustang, so just take their comments lightly.
Old 1/13/08, 11:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ I did not think about that part. If and when I try to sell it, if a potential buyer goes to Carfax it will show up as having body repair done. Also making it look as if it were in an accident. Wow they got me on that one.

Gib
Old 1/14/08, 07:13 AM
Service Manager

Received 439 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe
^^^ I did not think about that part. If and when I try to sell it, if a potential buyer goes to Carfax it will show up as having body repair done. Also making it look as if it were in an accident. Wow they got me on that one.

Gib
Just what makes you think that it will show up in a Carfax?!?

There is such a myth and false hope placed on carfax....Carfax is only as good as the information reported to them. I am telling you from personal experience that Carfax is nearly worthless...good for a tool IF something was reported buy NOBODY and I mean NOBODY should rely soley on Carfax to be accurate. There is no law anywhere that dictates that anything must be reported to carfax...this is voluntary by state and organization.

Here is a scary example for you.....regardless that the car was repaired perfectly (I did it in my shop) ....Progressive never reported it....this car has a perfectly clean Carfax report!!! and that is after TWO incidents! 1 in Mississippi and the other here in Alabama. Something major happened to it before my customer bought it where EVERY piece of glass was replaced and the entire car was painted....not a clue anywhere as to what happened.....then this accident...which resulted in $14K worth of repairs...yet STILL not a sign of it in any carfax report.

So how would you feel if you bought this car and was told it had "never been wrecked" by a car dealer....and then came across my site with pictures of it in the ditch and being repaired? I got that phone call...of course this was a problem with the selling dealer and not us and while the new owner was very happy with the car and could not find any sign of damage or repair, he was not at all happy with the dealer that sold it to him at a premium and said it had never been wrecked(which ANY dealer could tell 'something' was done when the underhood is as nice as the exterior finish.

This isn't the only example I have of the failures of carfax. carfax should be used ONLY as supplemental information and NOT something to base your purchase decision on.

Aside from this though I HIGHLY doubt that your repair will EVER show up on a carfax report.
Attached Thumbnails What recourse when service dept damages car?-lfsmall.jpg  
Attached Images