Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What recourse when service dept damages car?

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/07, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What recourse when service dept damages car?

As I mentioned in the brake fluid thread, I brought my new 08 Mustang (1 month old, only 850 miles on it) for warranty service because of leaking brake fluid. While they had my car, they managed to put a nice DEEP scratch in my front drivers fender - down to the metal - deep enough to require a paint job.

They are keeping my car to send to their own body shop for the repair, and gave me a Taurus (puke) rental. However, I'm NOT happy with that solution. I won't be able to put wax on that fender for 3 months - meaning it'll be getting covered in winter salt with absolutely no protection. As well, a "repair" job can never be as good as the factory paint job.

I left my car in the dealership's care in order to have a problem fixed. They obviously neglected my car in that time. What recourse do I have beyond them repainting the fender in their body shop?
Old 12/17/07, 03:49 PM
FR500 Member

They're fixing the problem they created, what else do you want them to do?

Better check yourself!
Old 12/17/07, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.
Old 12/17/07, 04:12 PM
Authorized Advertiser

What are you expecting from them? They are taking care of the issue for you. Not much more they can do. Just be glad that admitted to the problem.
Old 12/17/07, 04:15 PM

Lawsuits have destroyed this nation
Old 12/17/07, 04:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
What are you expecting from them? They are taking care of the issue for you. Not much more they can do. Just be glad that admitted to the problem.
They could have denied it and you'd be really upset; then what would have happened? (trust me, I've been there).

Anyway, it's December and waxing will be tough this time of year. If you really want to treat your paint after the repair, use 3m Imperial glaze; it will give you a great shine.
Old 12/17/07, 04:52 PM

I just remember back in 98 I had a new Mazda 626, and some lady pulled out of a parking lot and whacked my front right fender. We made an agreement to not report it and she paid for the damage. I took it to a very good body shop, and the fender was replaced, painted, and the paint on the surrounding areas blended. As far as I was able to tell, the repair was perfect...

Two years later, when I went to trade-in that car, the manager appraising my car was able to.. somehow.. immediately know that the fender had been replaced and/or repainted. There was no carfax, police or insurance report. The guy only chuckled and told me that repair jobs ALWAYS look different from factory paint... Of course, my trade-in value was affected...

What do I expect them to do? I really don't know. I don't know that they COULD do anything to make it better. If I went into their showroom and scraped my keys on their GT500 (that's currently going on ebay for 20k over MSRP) - scratching it down to the metal - would the dealership be happy with only the cost of a coat of paint? I somehow doubt it...
Old 12/17/07, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryD9
What recourse do I have beyond them repainting the fender in their body shop?
They are fixing the problem and giving you a loaner car. What more would you like them to do?

It's demands like this for "compensation" over and above and beyond the original issue that create headaches and higher costs for the rest of us.
Old 12/17/07, 05:24 PM
Authorized Advertiser

What do I expect them to do? I really don't know. I don't know that they COULD do anything to make it better. If I went into their showroom and scraped my keys on their GT500 (that's currently going on ebay for 20k over MSRP) - scratching it down to the metal - would the dealership be happy with only the cost of a coat of paint? I somehow doubt it...
Well, if you did that - they would have you tossed in jail, then pull the car off the showroom floor and back into their body shop for repairs probably.
Old 12/17/07, 05:33 PM
FR500 Member

Well, if you really want something else out of them...

Go on the internet and bash the dealership, picket out in front of their lot with a sign that exclaims how you were sooo wronged. Have a TV crew come out and film it, put it on YouTube.... go full guns!

Who knows, maybe you'll get a new car out of it... At the expense of making yourself look like the biggest donkey donut on planet earth
Old 12/17/07, 05:44 PM

Another concern I have (other than people assuming I'm extremist and want to sue or whatever) is the car warranty. If the factory paint were to start peeling for no good reason, it would normally be covered under warranty. However, that part of my warranty will no longer apply... or will it?
Old 12/17/07, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by WaltM
If you really want to treat your paint after the repair, use 3m Imperial glaze; it will give you a great shine.
Can that be used on freshly painted surfaces? I was under the impression that new paint can't be covered with anything for at least 3 months to allow the solvents time to evaporate.
Old 12/17/07, 05:47 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Another concern I have (other than people assuming I'm extremist and want to sue or whatever) is the car warranty. If the factory paint were to start peeling for no good reason, it would normally be covered under warranty. However, that part of my warranty will no longer apply... or will it?
Yes, it will still be under warranty - it was done by the dealer (and they caused the initial problem)
Old 12/17/07, 05:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
It would be way too much of a hassle to be worth it. I would only be concerned about two things: how good of a body shop they have and whether or not you trust them enough to bring it back. And yeah the old bubble taurus sucks, but it's better than a Focus.

On Factory paint, which is baked on, you would be fine using the 3M glaze. On a repainted surface, hell no. I'd wait 3-6 months
Old 12/17/07, 06:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I was scared to go back to the dealer for my 1st state inspection sticker (Free).
... And I used to work there and I know the owner and GM.
It is the only time I have taken the car back there and it never left my sight.
Paranoid!!!
...Or maybe not???
Old 12/17/07, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree

Originally Posted by SixtySix
They're fixing the problem they created, what else do you want them to do?

Better check yourself!

+2
Old 12/17/07, 07:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Can that be used on freshly painted surfaces? I was under the impression that new paint can't be covered with anything for at least 3 months to allow the solvents time to evaporate.
When my '01 was repaired, the rule was 30 days for a "light" wax; the stuff you dump in a bucket and 90 days for carnuba. They told me a polish like 3m is ok, and leaves no residue, so it will breath just fine. If your concerned, call their body shop and ask!

Btw, it works well
Old 12/17/07, 07:24 PM
Cobra R Member

...the manager appraising my car was able to.. somehow.. immediately know that the fender had been replaced and/or repainted. There was no carfax, police or insurance report. The guy only chuckled and told me that repair jobs ALWAYS look different from factory paint... Of course, my trade-in value was affected...
Unfortunatley, this is true. While the average guy wouldn't see the difference, a sales pro will. They look at panel alignment, color match or fade, overspray and texture (orange peel, etc).

Even the the best repair can be detected.
Old 12/17/07, 08:04 PM

Okay... Assuming that the repair looks acceptable to me, would it be reasonable for me to ask for:

1. A written statement detailing everything they did to repair the damage. This would be for my own records in case there is a problem with the repair, or in case there is question on what exactly was done and by who.

2. Something in writing that states the repair is covered under my new car warranty (or a seperate warranty lasting at least as long.)

For those who know about body shop repairs - do they have to do a seperate clearcoat layer after they apply the color paint? Should I expect primer + color + clear? (Can all that be done in only a single day by a well equiped body shop?) The scratch was clearly down to metal, but didn't appear to indent the metal.

Finally, when I bought my car, I "pre-purchased" lifetime lube jobs from that dealership group (actually, it was something my wife insisted on.) This was a dealership thing - not a Ford thing. Being the car has less than 1k miles, I've never used it. However, I'm no longer comfortable having this particular dealership working on my car - if their mechanics scratch cars, god only knows what their lube kids would do. I'm going to ask that I be reimbersed for that.

Is any of this unreasonable?
Old 12/17/07, 08:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to say I feel your pain...but, they have accepted responsiblity, given you a rental and are making it right. With that said, I can tell you if they have a really outstanding body shop, the new paint systems allow a perfect match. My pristine 2005 Aeroblue Crossfire( traded on the Mustang) was rear ended at a stop light by an idiot on his cell phone.

Luckily, it was below ten miles an hour and only rear the bumper cover was totaled, as well as the center mounted exhaust system. When the car was returned, the collision center, in Lewisville, TX, had computer matched the paint, based on a code in the car. It was perfect, no orange peals, runs or dust. No one could tell the difference in the color, even in bright sunlight.

They also gave me a life time warranty on the work and paint, in writing,....that is something you can ask for.

Good luck, and try talking to the guys at the body shop, be friendly and let them know you really appreciate the work they will be doing. It will go a long way, since, I am willing to bet, they rarely get compliments.

Quick Reply: What recourse when service dept damages car?