Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What is "burning in" after painting?

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/08, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is "burning in" after painting?

Went to check on how the front bumper fix is going during lunchtime. You can see where the Tungsten spray has been applied, but the guy doing the work said the car wasn't ready to be released, as the paint has to be burned in and polished. Does anyone know if this technique blends in the new paint to match the original paint better? I am in hopes that it does, otherwise, I'd be better off having the entire bumper repainted. All for a one inch dent.

Does anyone know much about the auto painting terminology? Thank you in advance.
Old 8/6/08, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, Ive been painting cars for over 28 years (Man Im getting old) and I've never heard of this. Are you sure he didn't say 'blending in" ? He may also be referring to baking the paint after it has been sprayed. I have never heard it called "burning in" but hey...ya never know what some people call different things.
Old 8/6/08, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Flight96 - thanks for the response. I'm going back over there after work in a little bit. He did say over the phone that he had everything blended "perfectly" but that he went a little to long - and I am guessing he did, indeed burn the paint. He said he'd make it right, and wanted me to come by to give a second set of eyes to what has been done. I'm a graphic designer by profession, so good or bad, i notice color and how well it blends. In your opinion, and knowing you have many years of experience, would this normally be a difficult fix? Or, would you think repainting the entire bumper cover would be better? Thank you for responding.
Old 8/9/08, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

NO, this is a simple fix. And with todays technology in the paint industry it is fairly easy to get a good match. If they have a good painter it should not be a problem.
Old 8/9/08, 12:21 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe he said denibbed instead of burned in? Denibbing is getting little bits of dirt out of the paint and is common before polishing.
Old 8/11/08, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

All is well. The fix turned out very well. Very hard to tell - if at all. It helped that it was such a small area.