Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Weird rattle under Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/06 | 12:00 PM
GT Member

Weird rattle under Mustang

Hi, just checking if someone has experienced this and could shed some light...

I have a weird rattle / buzzing sound when the car is cold, say, in the morning or after work. The noise appears when the engine hits about 3000rpm. It will do that 3-4 times and disappear after that.

The fact that it goes away when the car gets hot seems to point to an exhaust rattle. I did a search and there are lots of occurences on aftermarket exhaust rattles, but they don't seem to go away when hot and mine is completely stock.

Thanks !
Old 8/24/06 | 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had the same problem and it was an exhaust rattle. They repaired under warranty w/o any problems.
Old 8/24/06 | 01:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by manystangs
I had the same problem and it was an exhaust rattle. They repaired under warranty w/o any problems.
Do you know exactly what was fixed ? It would help me to guide them to the problem

Thanks
Old 8/24/06 | 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I believe it was just a clamp they repositioned and tightened. I will check my service receipt to be sure. They found it pretty quickly and fixed it w/ no problem.
Old 8/26/06 | 10:18 PM
Cobra Member

Mine does it on an aftermarket system, but I cannot find WHERE it rattles. Only when it's cold.
Old 8/26/06 | 10:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
Mine does it on an aftermarket system, but I cannot find WHERE it rattles. Only when it's cold.
mine jsut started to last week as well on aftermarket. i am 99% positive after getting under the car it is on the RH side where my Pypes off road H meets the headers. it seems loose to me but the nuts are as tight as they can be.
Old 8/27/06 | 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Try this:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...sb06_04_01.pdf

I have it at 1200 and 3200 just like it says. Regular ol' pipe clamps from the hardware store do the trick, but don't overtighten them. Imported cheap aluminum pipe clamps can't really take a whole lot of torque and they strip out.

I'd like to eventually get some t-bolt clamps, but I'll have to drop the crossmember to get them to fit through.
Old 9/11/06 | 01:10 PM
GT Member

I have the same exact problem as HOLYPONY with stock exhaust and the dealer has failed to find where is the problem. He supposedly applied tsb06_04_01.pdf but the rattle was still there, even worse. Anyone have pinpointed the problem so I can show them what to repairs?
Old 9/12/06 | 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Preacher, I have the same problem. TSB was done, but unsuccessfully. Anyone knows what else can be done?
Old 9/12/06 | 11:11 AM
GT Member

I hope someone can help because I truly feel ashame of the sound coming from my Mustang when I leave for work each morning... So much that I try to shift before I hit the cursed 3000 RPM when there's people on the sideways!
Old 9/26/06 | 07:12 PM
V6 Member

I think I have the same problem with a stock exhaust rattle. It seems to do it a low speeds and before the car gets warmed up. More prominent in the right rear.

I'm still trying to determine if it's the low "growl" of the stock exhaust or an actual "rattle". I've hit bumps and no rattle indicating that it's not a shock/suspension issue.

I guess I'll have the dealer take a look at it, but am fearful of the dreaded "can't replicate customer's problem".
Old 10/2/06 | 01:21 AM

Exclamation fixed

Took mine in for the TSB , that didn't help. Took it back a week later and told them I still had the rattle, especially noticible when I'd drive by a sound wall here in town. They pulled it in the shop and could hear it from forty feet away !. Service manager tells me they dropped the entire stock exhaust system and then reinstalled it. That Fixed it, they think it was aligned wrong or loose from the factory. Hope this helps.
Old 10/2/06 | 01:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Somewhat related - I installed a new street legal X-pipe this weekend and my rattles went away. My install proved that the entire exhaust is a system of inter-related parts - the cats, the H, the H to axle back, then the mufflers. Each of these connection points can go slightly out of spec, causing alignment problems for some putting on mufflers, x or h-pipes, or overall fitment of the stock system.

The main culprit of this rattle is the h-pipe hangers in the cross-member. My stock H didn't really fit in the hangers all that great, but my new X is better and no more rattles.

If you're gung-ho and okay with a wrench, try loosening up the stock H at the headers and at the midsection just a little bit, realign it better in the hangers (have a buddy and/or a jack to re-position it), Then clamp it back down. It might work...
Old 10/2/06 | 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

There is the transmission cross member exhaust bracket rattle (and a TSB explaining the fix) and if you have an early '05 mtx - it may be that your lower bell housing shield bolts are missing. When I 1st got my '05 GT mtx it had a horrible (exhaust shield sound rattle when cold) that turned out to be Ford had not installed the two lower bell housing shield/cover bolts. I added the bolts and the rattle was gone......many of the early '05's had these two bolts missing and were rattling.....as a matter of fact - think I'll take a peek under the '07 to make certain the bolts are there
Old 10/3/06 | 10:24 AM
GT Member

The two bolts were missing on my Mustang and when they added them it seemed like the rattle was gone. Well I thought so but it came back a couple of month after and the bolts were still in place. It has gotten worse since...
Old 9/1/07 | 08:28 PM

I finally go this one fixed. Already posted in a different thread.

Bottom line. I have the two bolts. I had the hanger TSB done. Noise was still there. Same conditions as described.

Fix: Unbolt the two lower bolts between the bell housing and the plate. Put a 1-2mm washer in between and rebolt. Noise should be gone.
Old 9/2/07 | 08:53 AM
GT Member

I still have mine... I had the two bolts done when I first got the car. I had the TSB done too, but still had the rattle.

I changed dealers to see if another one could fix it. They played with the cat shields but it only made it worse. What's more, they had another car in the garage for the exact same problem, and though it might be a problem with the cams (covered by a TSB). They were about to try it on the other car, but warned me that this job wouldn't be warrantied on my car because I had a CAI & tune, even if there was a TSB and my car was covered. I decided to leave it as is.

My car was also covered by the top plates TSB but they refused to fix my car because my suspension was lowered.

My car was also covered by the throttle body ans was running like **** ever since I got the car, but they refused to honor the warranty because of the CAI & tune.

I leased my car and was thinking about buying it back or lease another Mustang. Not any more !
Old 9/10/07 | 02:16 PM

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3772748/tm.htm

So, I FINALLY got the problem fixed! My normal Ford dealership was closed, so I had to take it to Woodfield Ford in Schaumburg, IL. Luckily, they had seen the problem before - and they're trying to get Ford to issue a TSB about this as it is common. So, here is the solution - and if anyone else has a problem, tell them to call Woodfield Ford in IL - 847 882 5031 - they've fixed the problem before, and did it again with me!

EDIT: the problem was the spacer plate between engine and transmission contacting the back of the engine - print the following out and give it to your dealer if need be!
Old 9/10/07 | 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HL22
I finally go this one fixed. Already posted in a different thread.

Bottom line. I have the two bolts. I had the hanger TSB done. Noise was still there. Same conditions as described.

Fix: Unbolt the two lower bolts between the bell housing and the plate. Put a 1-2mm washer in between and rebolt. Noise should be gone.
Anybody got pix of where these missing bolts are? I have this same problem and want to fix it.