Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration at Freeway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/06, 09:45 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up my car from the shop, they replaced the fuel tank and rear brakes per the TSB's. Now I have a vibration going down the road. I feel it more around 60-70 mph than anywhere else.

Has anybody else had this problem, or can somebody offer a suggestion as to what it might be ??
Old 1/6/06, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would think the driveshaft would have to be removed to change the tank. Maybe they didn't index it before removing and reinstalled it, not in it's original position. The driveshaft flanges fit tight also and should be crosstightened evenly.

You might also want to loosen and retorque your wheels to spec. Maybe they used an impact gun to tighten them.
Old 1/9/06, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the same issue but I had the problem ever since I bought the car. I didn't have the gas tank replaced. Here is my strory I had to get the car replaced.

Highway vibration
Old 1/10/06, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I had the transmisson replaced I have had no more vibration problems and drivetrain problems.
Old 1/10/06, 05:10 PM
FR500 Member

I had that problem... right at 70-73 mph, 2300 rpms. It would howl pretty good, like a low rumbling groan that would reverberate throughout the car.

The fix...

Nothing, it went away by itself
Old 1/11/06, 04:49 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@January 10, 2006, 4:13 PM
I had that problem... right at 70-73 mph, 2300 rpms. It would howl pretty good, like a low rumbling groan that would reverberate throughout the car.

The fix...

Nothing, it went away by itself

Hey, I had a mechanic that always tried to fix things that way!
Old 1/12/06, 11:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring your car back to the dealer. They definately do have to remove the driveshaft when they replace the tank. They obviously messed up somewhere on the reinstallation of the driveshaft.
Old 1/12/06, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I also have a vibration at highway speeds, most prominent between 52-58 mph. Above that I can feel it, though it is very subtle.

The vibration is rythmic or oscillating and seems to come from the middle of the car. It started (or I first felt it) after the 4.10 gears went in, so I assumed that it was related. But, the first set of 4.10's howled so we swapped them (Precisions for FRPP). The vibration was unchanged. We threw a micrometer on the driveshaft and Bingo!, there's your culprit ---- .010 out. After rotating it 180, it improved slightly. Ford Service says they can't feel it, what a surprise! Appears I'm on my own with this one.

A while back someone posted their solution. They removed one bolt from the rear driveshaft flange and added an extra washer to it. He did this with each bolt, one at a time, test drove to check for vibe and then moved to the next bolt until he got an improvement. This is an old racer's trick sometimes used on flywheel bolts as well. It's time consuming, but if it works, it's well worth the effort. When the weather warms I'm going to give it a go. What's to lose, right?

One other thing. When my car was up on the lift, I noticed the warning sticker on the driveshaft. It says "Scrap if Dropped". Maybe some of ours got dropped!
Old 1/12/06, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

I wonder if balancing the drive shaft would help? I'd think a driveshaft shop could do it. Another old racer's trick is to take a large hose clamp and put it around the driveshaft in varying positions to minimize the vibration.

I remember one of the solutions to the vibrations in the IRS in the Cobras was to have a matched driveshaft and rear end assembly.
Old 1/13/06, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by lodom@January 12, 2006, 9:40 PM
Another old racer's trick is to take a large hose clamp and put it around the driveshaft in varying positions to minimize the vibration.
I like that idea. A lot less time consuming than the one I posted.
Old 1/13/06, 06:43 AM
GT Member

The vibration is caused by the driveshaft. Have them replace it with a new one. They will try all sorts of stupid fixes because they will tell you the tech did the reinstall correctly. I had the same problem after tank replacement. My vibration was first noticeable at 25-27 mph. It felt like driving over rumble strips. It also vibrated at higher speeds. After they checked things, replaced the rear gears , etc. they finally took my word for it and ordered a new drive shaft. Bingo, problem gone.
Ford's TSB even tells them to replace with a complete new shaft if the shaft is banged, dinged or dropped. The dealers are so dumb. :bang:
Just remember, most states Lemon laws have a three fix and you're out limit. I reminded my dealer of that for the 4th time. That's when they replaced the complete driveshaft. No more vibrations now.
Old 1/13/06, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Now i haven't removed a driveshaft on the 05 yet but reading one of the mustang magazines doing a shifter install they showed pictures. They mentioned small shims at one end of the shaft that must be reinstalled properly or imbalance might occur. Maybe someone made a mistake.
Old 1/14/06, 06:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Lime GT@January 13, 2006, 8:54 PM
Now i haven't removed a driveshaft on the 05 yet but reading one of the mustang magazines doing a shifter install they showed pictures. They mentioned small shims at one end of the shaft that must be reinstalled properly or imbalance might occur. Maybe someone made a mistake.

Good point! It is Ford's problem, not the owners since it is under warranty. I don't remember any shims the SN-95's so there may be some inexperienced mechanics performing some of these repairs. Having to use shims to install a driveshaft only adds another potential problem area during assembly of the car.
Old 1/15/06, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Lime GT@January 13, 2006, 9:54 PM
Sorry for the misinform regarding shims at one end of the drive shaft. It was actually a spacer for the driveshafts center bearing mount they were talking about causing a vibration if left out.
Old 1/16/06, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Lime GT@January 15, 2006, 10:02 PM
Sorry for the misinform regarding shims at one end of the drive shaft. It was actually a spacer for the driveshafts center bearing mount they were talking about causing a vibration if left out.
Thanks for clarifying, you had me worried there for a minute. My driveshaft has been disconnected a couple of times during gear swaps, but never removed. They just strapped it off to the frame to make room to disassemble the differential. I watched them bolt it back up and never saw any shims. I don't think the center bearing bracket has ever been touched.

Before the 4.10's, I don't recall having any vibration. If it is my driveshaft, which we know to be out by .010", then I should have noticed a vibration at a higher speed with the stock 3.55's. Right?

With 4.10's been 15% steeper than the 3.55's and with my driveshaft rpm's commensurably higher, my 58 mph vibration should have been at 66 mph before the gear swap. Does this sound right?

Having had two different brands of 4.10's installed and both with the same vibration, I'm left to assume that it's not the gears. Whatever the cause, I need to find the solution soon. The Vibe, she's making me..... :crazy:
Old 1/16/06, 10:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

You know what, I just recently started to notice a vibration at about 71 mph and ~2600 rpm.... i'm taking it to the dealer on friday to have that (and my hesitation) addressed.
Old 1/17/06, 05:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by pittperson@January 17, 2006, 12:00 AM
You know what, I just recently started to notice a vibration at about 71 mph and ~2600 rpm.... i'm taking it to the dealer on friday to have that (and my hesitation) addressed.
Hey there Chris,

If your dealer manages to actually find the source of your vibration, let me know and I'll take mine there. Mine is not inspiring confidence and I won't leave my car with them. "You don't have a two piece driveshaft, Sir." :scratch:
Old 11/22/06, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just wondering if anyone in this post found a solution to their problem. I also have a rumble/vibration at 75 mph which started only after the dealer did a TSB ring and pinion repair. They ended up eventually replacing the whole differential/bearings/axles and guess what - vibration still there! So if yours was fixed, PLEASE share.
Old 5/2/07, 09:29 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I now have this problem as well. I was told it is exhaust related but nothing is touching. I have Borla axlebacks by the way.
Old 5/2/07, 09:46 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally Posted by Redfire05GT
The vibration is caused by the driveshaft. Have them replace it with a new one. They will try all sorts of stupid fixes because they will tell you the tech did the reinstall correctly. I had the same problem after tank replacement. My vibration was first noticeable at 25-27 mph. It felt like driving over rumble strips. It also vibrated at higher speeds. After they checked things, replaced the rear gears , etc. they finally took my word for it and ordered a new drive shaft. Bingo, problem gone.
Ford's TSB even tells them to replace with a complete new shaft if the shaft is banged, dinged or dropped. The dealers are so dumb. :bang:
Just remember, most states Lemon laws have a three fix and you're out limit. I reminded my dealer of that for the 4th time. That's when they replaced the complete driveshaft. No more vibrations now.
What TSB tells them to replace the driveshaft?

Thanks,
Dan

Quick Reply: Vibration at Freeway Speeds