Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

V6 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/05, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read several posts about noise in the GT transmission. I think the V6 has a T-5. Anybody having noise or other problems with the V6 manual gearbox?
Old 1/18/06, 03:54 PM
GT Member

I think I saw long ago someone mention that when they pull the car out of gear and into neutral that the tranny is noisy. Like a bad bearing sound. I found this to be true for me. No problem shifting just very noisy in neutral espescially the warmer it gets. Anyone seen a tsb on this problem?
Old 1/18/06, 04:00 PM
MSP
Banned

[quote=bigfoot1141,January 18, 2006, 2:57 PM]
I think I saw long ago someone mention that when they pull the car out of gear and into neutral that the tranny is noisy. Like a bad bearing sound. I found this to be true for me. No problem shifting just very noisy in neutral espescially the warmer it gets. Anyone seen a tsb on this problem?
[QUOTE]

My T-5 wors great.. No noses or problems.. TSB not needed.. A better drver maybe? LOL!
Old 1/21/06, 12:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The T5 was always a little whinny in the lower gears, and would be a little noisy with the clutch out in neutral. I actually like the little bit of whine acellerating in 2nd gear. But the little 'whirly-tappy'(very faint) noise when you let out the clutch in neutral at an intersection is pretty normal.

The shifter is a bit notchy but has gotten better over time with me. The T5 will never shift like a Miata. Mine still gets 'hung' in the gate sometimes when shifting from 5th down to any other gear then 4th. I have to give it a nudge right to get it back into neutral to go to say, 2nd from 5th sometimes, but I think its the linkage thats a hair out of adjustment, not the tranny.
Old 1/21/06, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by gt5001@September 18, 2005, 5:14 PM
I've read several posts about noise in the GT transmission. I think the V6 has a T-5. Anybody having noise or other problems with the V6 manual gearbox?

Nope, mine is fantastic, smooth shifts, no noise.
Old 2/6/06, 06:42 PM
GT Member

Mine is notchy. I have had it to the dealership two times now. The trans tech says that it is normal and has to do with the design of the transmission itself. My problems are that it will not go into gear. From a dead stop into neutral, it will feel like I am locked out of the gear. It will stop halfway into second and kick out. It will lock out of 4th and overdrive. When it locks out of overdrive, it slips into 3rd and grinds something awful. It is in for the dealership for the 3rd time today. We will see...
Old 2/10/06, 02:34 PM

Mine is really noisey. The shifter rattles as i'm driving and feels lose. I was told this was normal operation until i took the service tech for a drive. I just haven't had a chance to make a new appontment to get it fix.
Old 2/10/06, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Arrow

Its just a T5 for you. They've been used in mustangs since the 80s. First the 5.0 GT then a beefed up version in the 96 cobra, and now in the v6's. Versions of this Trans has been used in camaros and jeeps over the decades. The only thing that is modern about the design that I know of is in 1999 they switched over from a mechanical speedometer to an electric one. Wish They would use a more modern trans for the V6.
Old 2/10/06, 06:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The T5 is a good, reliable tranny, nothing wrong with it. The T56 used in just about every HP car(vette/cobra/viper) is notchy and noisy as well. The T3650(GT's mid 2001+) is a little whinny in 1st and 2nd too. Its the nature of the beast. All of them get stubborn going into reverse sometimes. If its fussy in the morning going into reverse, just wiggle it, go to 2nd then R, every stang I have had has been like that.
Old 2/11/06, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowblustang00 @ February 10, 2006, 2:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Its just a T5 for you. They've been used in mustangs since the 80s. First the 5.0 GT then a beefed up version in the 96 cobra, and now in the v6's. Versions of this Trans has been used in camaros and jeeps over the decades. The only thing that is modern about the design that I know of is in 1999 they switched over from a mechanical speedometer to an electric one. Wish They would use a more modern trans for the V6.
[/b][/quote]

I'd have to disagree with you there. I have a '91 GT and my transmission is as quiet as a church mouse compared to the one in my '06.

I have a friend that has an '86 GT... quiet. I also have a friend that owns a '93 GT quiet.

I'm actually quite amazed at how many people believe this is normal.

Basically if you take it in you have to female dog and complain until they fix it. Now they won't WANT to fix it, but most dealerships in my experience NEVER want to fix warantee work. Not sure why, I assume it's because they don't make as much money on it... either way you should take it in and get it fixed.

Or drive around with it noisy I guess... your call, but rest assured it's not normal if the transmission in the new Mustangs are the same as in the ones stated above.