Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Urgency of airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/17, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
The thing that really bothers me is that Ford is WARNING us not to have any front passengers until the repair is done. They haven't done this in the past. It's been years. Ford is covering their butt. So if your passenger is injured by the airbag defect, Ford will not be responsible. My wife and I usually are together when we take the Mustang out. Neither of us is going to want to sit in the back seat! This makes our Mustang kind of unusable! It gripes me that Ford is obviously putting airbags in new Mustangs. Well maybe if Ford and other car manufacturers were somehow forced to stop production on new cars until all the airbags are replaced in the cars under recall, the repairs would get done much sooner. Who the hell wants to take their wife or friend out for a drive in a car that could injure or kill the front passenger. Remember you've been warned by Ford! Yeah I'm upset about this. I really in good conscious can not allow anybody to sit in the front passenger seat of my Mustang until the airbag is replaced. Obviously Ford thinks it is a real danger.
The following users liked this post:
Gravydog316 (12/26/17)
Old 12/24/17, 10:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink Hmmm

Originally Posted by Scarpi
The thing that really bothers me is that Ford is WARNING us not to have any front passengers until the repair is done. This makes our Mustang kind of unusable! Obviously Ford thinks it is a real danger.
Does this mean we can now sue them for lack of normal and reasonable use of our cars?
If they can't repair them immediately, that would seem to be the next course of action.
Old 12/24/17, 04:43 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
The thing that really bothers me is that Ford is WARNING us not to have any front passengers until the repair is done. They haven't done this in the past. It's been years. Ford is covering their butt. So if your passenger is injured by the airbag defect, Ford will not be responsible. My wife and I usually are together when we take the Mustang out. Neither of us is going to want to sit in the back seat! This makes our Mustang kind of unusable! It gripes me that Ford is obviously putting airbags in new Mustangs. Well maybe if Ford and other car manufacturers were somehow forced to stop production on new cars until all the airbags are replaced in the cars under recall, the repairs would get done much sooner. Who the hell wants to take their wife or friend out for a drive in a car that could injure or kill the front passenger. Remember you've been warned by Ford! Yeah I'm upset about this. I really in good conscious can not allow anybody to sit in the front passenger seat of my Mustang until the airbag is replaced. Obviously Ford thinks it is a real danger.
Well it is a real danger and Ford knows it.. It's just as you posted, they're doing nothing more but covering their own butts in order to avoid potential wrongful injury/death lawsuits resulting from defective airbags since 2005..

Originally Posted by karman
Does this mean we can now sue them for lack of normal and reasonable use of our cars?
If they can't repair them immediately, that would seem to be the next course of action.
Hopefully someone on here who's an attorney might chime in that can provide accurate and straight forward answers to these type of questions
Old 12/24/17, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
I believe the passenger is only on 05-09. 10-14 are only driver's side.
Patrick, both driver and passenger side airbags on all 2005-14 models are affected by the Takata airbag safety recall.. My "06" driver's side airbag was replaced just 6.5 months ago under the airbag recall and I've been waiting for well over 2 years now for the remedy parts to become available from Ford for the passenger side airbag..

Edit: According to the official Ford owner site.. Vehicles recalled for driver side inflators: 2005 - 2014 Ford Mustang.. Vehicles recalled for passenger side inflators: 2005 - 2011 Ford Mustang..

2012 - 2014 Ford Mustang : Driver side inflator only !

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...e/recalls.html

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/31/17 at 12:21 PM. Reason: corrected airbag info
Old 12/25/17, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would think until Ford tells everyone to stop driving their cars immediately, they or Takata would still be liable. My 05 drivers side was changed over a year ago and I received the letter for the pass side in the spring and took it to the dealer so they would know I'm at least interested in getting done when parts are available. However, I just traded my 05 for a 17GT PP so it's not an issue anymore.
Gravydog316 (12/26/17)
Old 12/26/17, 08:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
hmmmmm . . . I guess I will need to look in to this again for my 2010 . . . Last time I asked the dealer they said that my car was only affected for whatever notices I had received, which was the driver side only, if I remember correctly.

I have not received any letters recently regarding the passenger side. But I guess maybe I need to look more carefully through the pile of junk mail, LOL . . .
Old 12/26/17, 09:00 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
been getting that same letter on my corolla for 5 years .. ignored it every time ...
HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
They've sent me letters and emails.
Still haven't gotten it done. Probably won't either. We'll see.
Old 12/26/17, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
disconnect it.
It's no less-dangerous than say, driving a 1965 mustang with no airbag.
(my dad said you should have mother in law for a passenger side airbag like he does, but i won't comment on that)
So how would you go about disconnecting it, do you know how to do it ? If not, I would recommend against it, as it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be.. So unless you know what your really doing, I wouldn't take the risk of possibly screwing something up and making matters even worse..

Btw: an airbag is not only a supplemental restraint but also a component of the "OEM" factory safety equipment along with seat belts that are both required by federal law.. Therefore if they are tampered with in anyway, it's considered as illegal and a violation under both state and federal law..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/26/17 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12/26/17, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
They've sent me letters and emails.
Still haven't gotten it done. Probably won't either. We'll see.
In that case Tony, make 100% certain your car never ends up getting into a crash, especially when joined by a front passenger
Old 12/26/17, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Here's the annoying part. Ford says the parts aren't available. But some company is making airbags for the new Mustangs. Well in my opinion Ford should have the same company make airbags for the recalled older cars before any new ones get airbags. Yeah that's right, production should be stopped now until all affected recalled airbags are replaced. This is BS that they can produce new cars with airbags while the rest of us are WARNED not to drive with anyone in the passenger seat. I do not feel right having someone sitting in that passenger seat anymore since the warning from Ford. It is more serious than we thought it was and it really irks me!

Last edited by Scarpi; 12/26/17 at 02:48 PM.
m05fastbackGT (12/26/17)
Old 12/26/17, 03:03 PM

Here's the annoying part. Ford says the parts aren't available. But some company is making airbags for the new Mustangs. Well in my opinion Ford should have the same company make airbags for the recalled older cars before any new ones get airbags. Yeah that's right, production should be stopped now until all affected recalled airbags are replaced. This is BS that they can produce new cars with airbags while the rest of us are WARNED not to drive with anyone in the passenger seat. I do not feel right having someone sitting in that passenger seat anymore since the warning from Ford. It is more serious than we thought it was and it really irks me!
You're absolutely 100% spot on and I couldn't agree more

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/26/17 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12/26/17, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got the same letter today
Old 12/26/17, 04:42 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
In that case Tony, make 100% certain your car never ends up getting into a crash, especially when joined by a front passenger
lol
True that Rocky. No guarantees on that though. Hopefully I never have to work about it.
Old 12/26/17, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
lol
True that Rocky. No guarantees on that though. Hopefully I never have to work about it.
Hope you'll never have to worry about it either Tony..
Stage_3 (12/28/17)
Old 12/26/17, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
hmmmmm . . . I guess I will need to look in to this again for my 2010 . . . Last time I asked the dealer they said that my car was only affected for whatever notices I had received, which was the driver side only, if I remember correctly.

I have not received any letters recently regarding the passenger side. But I guess maybe I need to look more carefully through the pile of junk mail, LOL . . .

Go to owner.ford.com and if you're not already registered, do so. You can see all current recalls/notifications for your car. There is a lot there in addition. I don't use it much except to keep up to date on the recall status.
Old 12/26/17, 05:55 PM

Got my first letter today

Just waiting on the other 2 to to ignore

As I have said before...
I have been severely injured by properly functioning airbags.

Seat belts work. Use them.
Airbags can help, but myself and my family have already been injured by the "good" airbags.
Old 12/26/17, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I ignored the initial warnings on the drivers side air bag for quite a while. Recently I was trading my 'Stang in on a new car and the dealership said I could get an extra $500 on the trade allowance if I got the recall cleared. The next day I was at the local Ford dealer!!

It's funny, threats of death and catastrophe did not move me to act but $500 got me off my butt.
Old 12/26/17, 07:18 PM

Just waiting on the other 2 to to ignore

As I have said before...
I have been severely injured by properly functioning airbags.

Seat belts work. Use them.
Airbags can help, but myself and my family have already been injured by the "good" airbags.
Just hope for your sake your one of the fortunate ones that don't have one of the defective Takata airbags.. As much as I really hate to say this, I'd much rather be injured by a properly functioning airbag than end up possibly having my throat cut by pieces of metal fragments from an exploding airbag
Old 12/27/17, 03:09 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Just hope for your sake your one of the fortunate ones that don't have one of the defective Takata airbags.. As much as I really hate to say this, I'd much rather be injured by a properly functioning airbag than end up possibly having my throat cut by pieces of metal fragments from an exploding airbag
Yeah
Well, the scar on my eyelid where I almost lost my eye shows me anything can happen.

"Just bundle up my coffin 'cause its cold way down there."
m05fastbackGT (12/27/17)
Old 12/27/17, 03:47 PM

Yeah
Well, the scar on my eyelid where I almost lost my eye shows me anything can happen.

"Just bundle up my coffin 'cause its cold way down there."
Believe me, if I almost lost my eye from supposedly a properly functioning airbag, I'd be filing a lawsuit against the manufacturer.. That you can be assured of