Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Urgency of airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/17, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgency of airbag recall

I was notified by the dealer that my 05 was subject to the Takata airbag recall. I took it to a local dealer (I'm not the original owner and the car is from CT). After waiting a month to hear back, as I was told the parts would need to be ordered, I called the dealer. I was informed that ONE side was in and that the other side would not be available for a while. When I pushed for an approximate date, I was told 'closer to Spring when people start driving these things again.' 0_o Really? I'm not allowed to drive my car in Dec or Jan or Feb? I realize a lot of people park their Mustangs. But I have seen a LOT of Mustangs out and about this winter. And I mean GT's. Not little V6 models like mine. Anyways, I digress. I just got a notice directly from Ford. My question is, the notice says to ACT NOW, even though the one side is not in yet. Should the dealer be working to correct what they can now? Or wait until all parts are available. Then do the work. I'm sure it is more cost effective for them to do it at one time. But that's not really ideal for safetys sake. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Urgency of airbag recall-recall-001.jpg  
Old 3/5/17, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Tell them to order the **** parts, and if they don't, then you call Ford. Caveat: Provided you don't want to wait, and get one done now, and the other done later, because you're afraid of the igniter exploding and throwing shrapnel at you in a front end wreck...

That's why it says 'ACT NOW', because Ford has to indicate it's a now now now thing because people can and have died because of these things. Now that you know, their burden of proof is complete, and they can say "We told them about it, they knew, and drove it anyway."

So from their standpoint, of course it's recommended you get the driver one done now. The passenger one will just have to wait until that part comes in. And you should not let anyone ride in that seat. Or you can be like me, the daredevil I am, and wait until both parts come in and then get 'em done once at the same time.

Either way, one visit or two, the car has to stay overnight, apparently, to do the job.

Be sure they're applying the second recall part replacement to the driver bag, not the first one. That first one is also defective. Which is why I didn't leave the car, I wasn't going to go *THREE* times, that's stupid. I'll go once when they're both ready to be done once, and until then...

Last edited by houtex; 3/5/17 at 06:46 PM.
Old 3/7/17, 06:48 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
None of us have had the passenger-side replacement done yet (to my knowledge), but many of us have had the driver's side done (lots of us twice). I would go ahead and get the driver's side done as soon as you can.
Old 3/24/17, 07:47 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got the recall letter back in March of 2015 and still drove my Stang as I had since I first drove it home brand sparkling new in 2005. Finally, had the driver side replaced last summer (June) and then a few months later I got the recall letter for the passenger side. Who knows when that will ever come.

Also have a 2010 BMW 335i which I got the recall letter in early 2016. Still waiting to get the official letter to bring it in. Called my local BMW back in January to check on the recall update for it which I am in the HAH (High Absolute Humidity) Priority Group 1. The customer service agent checked my VIN said there still is no replacement units available, but she said she can contact BMW NA and have them send a ‘interim remedy’ which is only temporary until whenever the actual replacement or "Final remedy" is available. I said to the agent, I’ll just pass on that because from what I found out, the "interim remedy" is part of Priorty Group 4 as per the following:

Some Initial Vehicle Manufacturers are replacing recalled inflators with newly manufactured "like-for-like" inflators while they work towards an alternative, final remedy. Vehicles in Priority Group 4 include those vehicles with driver side frontal air bag inflators that have received, or will receive, an "interim remedy," meaning they have been, or will be, remedied with a Takata inflator that has been recalled, and will require a second remedy once the final remedy is available.
Once repaired with the interim remedy, these vehicles are at the lowest risk of an inflator rupture because the inflator is new and has not yet been subject to long-term continuous exposure to HAH conditions. Unless specifically added at a later date to a higher Priority Group for re-remedy by their vehicle manufacturer, all remaining vehicles requiring a second, final, remedy of the inflator(s) are included in Priority Group 4.

So in layman’s terms, the "interim remedy" is a replacement that comes from a supply of never used defective airbags which they swap out with the notion that, if they have been stored in a cool warehouse, they are better than the current defective ones which have been in a humid car for several number of years.

Regardless, I am still driving my BMW and not letting it stay parked. Just make sure to drive safely and responsibly as I have been since the day I bought it new.

Last edited by jt14894; 3/24/17 at 07:48 AM.
Old 3/24/17, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
In California we cant even get the drivers side done yet!
They said that the high humidity areas of the country are getting the parts first, then the east coast and working there way out West.
Old 3/24/17, 08:22 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Boise is not a high humidity location, but I got my driver side done last fall. Also got a big yellow notice in December that it still needed to be done and parts were available. I still need to check and see if I am one of the luck ones that get to do it twice.

As to the urgency I would get it done ASAP. Have you seen what this thing can do to you? It is a pretty scary thing if the bad ones go off. Don't hit something that triggers it to deploy! Search the forum, there is a video of one going off in testing on here somewhere. Throws debree everywhere. Don't wait for the other one.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/24/17 at 08:26 PM.
Old 3/28/17, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the message I received from Ford inquiring as to why the local dealer wouldn't replace the parts individually.

Hello Ken,

I have reviewed your Mustang's details and see that 2 recalls are active on the vehicle. Program 15S21-Driver Airbag Inflator Replacement and program 17S01-Passenger Airbag Inflator Replacement.
I have researched both programs so I could give you an estimate of when you may expect parts. I am showing that for program 15S21, all states now have parts to repair 2005-2012 model year Mustangs. Your dealership should be able to remedy Recall 15S21 with no problems now.
Program 17S01 is a bit different as this was just released within the past couple months. Parts are not yet available to remedy this recall. You will receive a second letter in the mail once parts are available. Our suppliers are working to expedite replacement parts as quickly as possible. At this time, we do not have an estimated timeframe as to when these parts will be available.

The good news is that while you are awaiting parts for your vehicle, NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) has deemed it safe to drive your vehicle. You may continue to drive your vehicle until parts are available.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.
Sincerely,
Brittany
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

*****I have not heard back after two weeks from the other local dealer if they would replace the parts individually. SMH******
Old 4/24/17, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just got my driver side done. I had the recall notice for about a year, so I figured time to get on it. I said I am here for the recall that sends shrapnel into the male organ when the air bag goes off...we all chuckled. Ya they had the parts in stock, doesn't take very long. If you plan on having kids I wouldn't wait...you never know.
Old 4/25/17, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@Gravydog316 When I was there they said there was just a recall for the passenger side, but no parts yet, then a week or a couple of weeks later I got the passenger side recall letter from Ford. The driver side recall letter started weighing heavy on me. I mean its free you might as well get it fixed. What if I let someone else drive my car and they got shrapneled. I guess its stupid not to get it done. Something that is designed to save you could kill you or what if you got shrapnel in the eye....yuk.

...and Gravydog316 a new hair color suggestion. I don't know what the color is called, its a very very light greenish color. I saw a woman not to long ago with that color, it looked witchish. I stopped her and said your hair is freaking me out, but I love it.
Old 4/25/17, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ZGrand
None of us have had the passenger-side replacement done yet (to my knowledge), but many of us have had the driver's side done (lots of us twice). I would go ahead and get the driver's side done as soon as you can.
My 2013 GT is going in this Saturday for the drivers side airbag, I asked about the passenger side and was told there wasn't a recall on that. WTF!
Old 4/25/17, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer
My 2013 GT is going in this Saturday for the drivers side airbag, I asked about the passenger side and was told there wasn't a recall on that. WTF!
I believe the passenger is only on 05-09. 10-14 are only driver's side.
Old 4/26/17, 06:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I believe the passenger is only on 05-09. 10-14 are only driver's side.
I received a recall notice for the passenger side a couple of months ago. I have a 2012 Gt. Sad times.
Old 4/26/17, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I received a recall notice for the passenger side a couple of months ago. I have a 2012 Gt. Sad times.
Hmm I've only gotten the driver's side for my 2014.
Old 4/30/17, 06:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I get 3 or more recall notices at a time

I have never been to the dealer for any of the 4 cars.

As far as forwarding the notice to the new owner...
I don't have his address in New Zealand
Old 5/15/17, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
My drivers side was done twice in March of 2015 and in July 2016. Still waiting for the passenger air bag parts. Per Ford's letter parts are not yet available for that. It bothers me driving around with my wife in the passenger seat. Come on Ford and Takata!
Old 12/23/17, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I just got an interesting letter today from Ford stating that remedy parts for the passenger airbag have been delayed and parts for some vehicles will be available in the spring 2018 and I will be notified. Then the letter goes on with the following message, "WARNING, Until remedy parts become available do not allow anyone to sit in the first row passenger seat. The airbag inflator could rupture during deployment in a crash and cause injuries or death." Well I guess either me or my wife will be in the back seat when we take the Mustang anywhere. Ford seems to be making it real clear that they aren't responsible if the passenger airbag causes injuries in a crash. Getting a warning from Ford as clear as that really concerns me and I thought I'd pass it on to you all. Previously any letters from Ford did not contain that dire warning.
Old 12/23/17, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Got the same letter today too. I really liked (not!) how they said not to let anyone ride in the passenger seat! WTF!?
I got the original letter in July 2016 that said there was recall on the passenger side and that was after waiting to get the driver's side done.
My car is a 2005 so does that mean I've been driving a potential death threat for 13 years!

Last edited by garyb900; 12/23/17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12/23/17, 09:26 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Got my letter from Ford yesterday about the passenger side airbag recall.. It's the same letter Scarpi got about the remedy parts being delayed and won't be expected to be ready until spring of 2018.. My letter also says, Warning: Until remedy parts become available, do not allow anyone to sit in the front row passenger seat. The airbag inflator could rupture during deployment in a crash and cause injuries or death. When the front row passenger seat is not occupied, the passenger airbag will not deploy, eliminating the risk..

I suppose according to Ford that in the event of a crash, if a vehicle occupant happens to get either injured or killed resulting from an airbag rupture in the front passenger seat, Ford won't be considered liable if the owner of the vehicle was fully aware of the safety risks involved according to Ford's safety recall notification

Well that's real nice to know, just look at how long it took Ford until remedy parts became available for the driver side airbags that were also affected by the Takata safety recall, as it took well over a year after the safety recall before Ford finally had the remedy parts available to replace my driver's side airbag.. WTF

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/23/17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12/23/17, 09:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
been getting that same letter on my corolla for 5 years .. ignored it every time ...
Old 12/23/17, 10:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
So what happens if in the event you end up getting into a crash and god forbid that either yourself or one of your passengers ends up getting seriously injured or worse from an exploding airbag.. If you won't do it for yourself, then at least do it for your family and friends.. Besides it's not like it's going to cost you anything being that it's for an airbag safety recall