Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

TSB's for cars out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/07, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSB's for cars out of warranty?

I've had the DTE FLI DATA ERR message a couple of times before (from previous troubleshooting looks to be sulfer on the sending unit, there is a TSB out on it). But my car is now out of warranty (39K miles). I am now getting this message constantly after filling up at a Shell station a couple of days ago.

Do TSB's apply to all cars or only to those under warranty? I'd like to get this fixed rather than just dance around where I get gas so that I can enusre that I fix the root of this problem, but I also don't want to get stuck paying for parts and labor on a known issue. Probably a stupid question, but I just don't know if TSB's are only for cars under warranty.
Old 8/2/07, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSBs apply to ALL vehicles. But, TSBs are service bulletins... a procedure to fix a problem. If you are out of warranty you will pay for the service. TSBs are not like RECALLS, in that the manufacturer does not pay for TSB service on vehicles out of warranty, but must pay for RECALL service. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 8/2/07, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Try putting a bottle of fuel injector cleaner with Techron in the tank and running around a bit, that may help with the error message.
Old 8/3/07, 12:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

+1 on the Techron, that is good stuff. If you have any sulfur buildup on the sending unit, a bottle of Techron concentrate will do the trick. Just pour it in while you are at the gas station before you put in the gas so it gets good and mixed up while filling.
Old 8/13/07, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

As a follow up to this, I ran out that tank of fuel (with the CEL and error message popping up constantly) then went and got fuel from another station. Added the container of Chevron fuel injector cleaner with Techron during fillup, after about 25 miles with the cleaner and new fuel, the CEL went away and I haven't seen the error code come back.
Old 8/13/07, 10:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Glad to hear it worked for you. I usually run a bottle of Techron cleaner through every 6 months or so and haven't had a problem for about 1 1/2 years now.
Old 8/23/07, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

That is why I dont put anything besides Chevron gasoline in my tank.
Old 8/27/07, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
That is why I dont put anything besides Chevron gasoline in my tank.
That's got nothing to do with it, the very first time this issue cropped up was after I filled up at a Chevron station for the first time.
Old 8/28/07, 12:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by azoufan
That's got nothing to do with it, the very first time this issue cropped up was after I filled up at a Chevron station for the first time.

I think I will chalk that up to coincidence, buddy of mine bought his mustang not long after I bought mine, and runs whatever crap is the cheapest and hes had his unit replaced, I havent.
Old 8/28/07, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by azoufan
The gasoline we get here in the zone pretty much sucks! We tend to see lots of sulphur in our gas.

About a year ago I had the exact problem as you (for the third time). I took my car to the dealership and they replaced a fuel sending unit in the tank.

Prior to the replacement I had been buying gasoline from Diamond Shamrock, Costco, Sam's Club, and Arco (in other words from a variety of low-cost gas stations). Since the replacement I've purchased gasoline from Chevron and have not had a repeat.

Maybe thats just a coincidence but I'm just not sure...