Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Throw-out Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/07, 04:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw-out Bearing

Just curious if anybody else has had this problem, or if there is a TSB I missed somewhere along the way.

I took my car in on monday the 23rd (April) for a horrendous squealing noise. I only heard it when the clutch was out, either driving or idling. I took it into the dealership. By Tuesday they let me know the Throw-out Bearing was "out". I'll be honest...I have no clue what the Throw-out bearing does.

I was informed at that point we were waiting on parts. It is now Thursday of the following week (May 3rd), and I still don't have my car. Supposedly the dealership is waiting on new pressure plates for my car. The supplier of the pressure plates only released 40 of them to the entire FoMoCo this week. My name is on one of them. Not sure how much faith I am putting into this.

Here's the question: In the event that the dealership contiues to not be able to get the part, what recourse do I have?

Yes, I have a rental, and yes they are paying for it. My car only has 33000 miles on it.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rogue6
Old 5/3/07, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My throw out bearing makes a whirring/squeak noise periodically, especially when the drive train isn't really up to operating temp. I've been temped to take it in but think I'll wait till the warranty is close to finished or it starts squealing big time. I've got around 25000 miles on mine.
If the dealers paying for your rental that's a bonus in my eyes. Means less mileage put on yours for now.
Old 5/10/07, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they are in a parts hold I don't think there is much you can do. If they can't get them they can't.

Putting the old parts back in for you won't happen unless you want to pay for it and any potential problems it would cause.

I think they are treating you pretty good with the rental.. That is better than a lot of dealers would do. Just hang in there until they can get it fixed correctly for you.
Old 5/16/07, 08:08 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I hope mine dont go too...I just put slave/throwout(they are one now) in my old 93 ford f150, and the slave is plastic, the bearing looks to be a needle type(them little needle rollers must crank a bizillion rpm when you shift near the redline)...after seeing the new slave/throwout, now I put the mustang in neutral if sitting at a light...cant imagine its any heavier than the fullsize pickup version-

!!!that reminds me!!! need to pack some petroleum jelly in the quick coupler and tape it up...I had a easier time pulling the friggin tranny out of that truck than undoing the 'quick release' fitting...ended up chopping it, having to buy a new line...the little metal 'fingers' had corroded to the point of dissolving into the aluminum body(hacked it open to find out why it was such a PITA), no way to disengage intact...and yes, tried the special little tools first that are supposed to push the little nylon ring inward to disengage...steel spring fingers+ aluminum body+ moisture= galvanic corrosion...was packed full of that whitish powdered aluminum oxidation...quick release, riiiiight...

took 2 hours of screwing with that stupid line before taking the cutters to it, maybe an hour to pull/reinstall tranny?
Old 5/17/07, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
!!!that reminds me!!! need to pack some petroleum jelly in the quick coupler and tape it up...I had a easier time pulling the friggin tranny out of that truck than undoing the 'quick release' fitting...ended up chopping it, having to buy a new line...the little metal 'fingers' had corroded to the point of dissolving into the aluminum body(hacked it open to find out why it was such a PITA), no way to disengage intact...and yes, tried the special little tools first that are supposed to push the little nylon ring inward to disengage...steel spring fingers+ aluminum body+ moisture= galvanic corrosion...was packed full of that whitish powdered aluminum oxidation...quick release, riiiiight...

took 2 hours of screwing with that stupid line before taking the cutters to it, maybe an hour to pull/reinstall tranny?

Ah, quick connects. Great for factory assembly, horrrible if you live in winter climates where lots of salt is used. Run into that problem at work with trans and oil cooler lines on GM vans. Usually end up buying complete new fittings as the old ones won't come apart without destroying them. Aluminum parts sure like the salt.