Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Throttle Getting Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/09, 04:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to try cleaning the throttle body, it may save you a trip to the dealer. It may not, but it's easy and worth a shot in my opinion.

Just disconnect the intake from the throttle body, then remove the 4 screws from the front of the TB. Don't forget to disconnect the wiring harness. With the TB in hand, move the butterfly back and forth and you should see some black gunk in there. Don't use any harsh cleaners, a dry rag will work just fine. The only chemical you should use is true Throttle Body and MAF cleaner. If you don't have that, just use a dry rag. Once you get all the gunk you can off, just replace it the way it was. Also, try disconnecting the neg. battery cable once you get it all back together to reset the computer.

If that doesn't work, then try the dealer. Good Luck!!
Old 10/28/09, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I took it in and they replaced the throttle position sensor and since it was an issue prior to the warranty running out, but almost a year ago, they split the cost of the repairs, 70%them 30% me. I was fine with that.

Got the car back and it hasnt died on me yet.... idle is sometimes a bit rough tho,,, mostly stays at 750rpms but I can feel it when it dips to 500rpms or so,,,, but it hasnt died.
Old 10/28/09, 03:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Busted
Well, I took it in and they replaced the throttle position sensor and since it was an issue prior to the warranty running out, but almost a year ago, they split the cost of the repairs, 70%them 30% me. I was fine with that.

Got the car back and it hasnt died on me yet.... idle is sometimes a bit rough tho,,, mostly stays at 750rpms but I can feel it when it dips to 500rpms or so,,,, but it hasnt died.
Thanx for the update. Good to know what to watch for if things go goofy.
Old 10/31/09, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. For everyone else, you can also try re-calibrating your gas pedal. The procedure is
Turn key to ON without starting
Steadily press the gas pedal to the floor (not too fast, not to slow)
Release gas
Turn key OFF
Start car and drive
Old 1/22/11, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea half way through reading i instantly figured TPS or actuator motor...the original tps that for issued prior to 07 has nothing but a plastic rivit for the assembly to lock into...when i replaced mine i noticed the part number id wasnt AA it was AB...and the little rivit for the assembly has a metal casing and a urethane housing...funny huh...