Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Throttle Getting Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/09, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Getting Stuck

So for the past couple of week I have noticed the throttle getting stuck open on my pony I have no check engine lights what could this be I have a 2007 GT help please
Old 9/9/09, 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any mods to the car at all? Have you checked your floormat to see if it is getting hung up on there?
Old 9/9/09, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
how many miles does your car have?
Old 9/10/09, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by theedge67
Do you have any mods to the car at all? Have you checked your floormat to see if it is getting hung up on there?
Yes I have ford performance intake and slp muffler delets but it did this prior to the mods just not as often the car has 25000 miles on it. and yes I checked the floor mat
Old 9/10/09, 05:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

It could be a bad throttle body. I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. You are still under warranty for a while. Is it happening only on full throttle, or partial, or both?
Old 9/11/09, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by theedge67
It could be a bad throttle body. I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. You are still under warranty for a while. Is it happening only on full throttle, or partial, or both?
Both it's really imbarasing at stop lights this thing starts screaming
Old 9/14/09, 05:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket alarm ? I did and it caused the computer to think key was in the start position every time you pushed the clutch in , the key didn't even have to be in the ignition. Since the computer controls the throttle electronically , if you have one it may be the problem. Just a thought ...
Old 9/14/09, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
Do you have an aftermarket alarm ? I did and it caused the computer to think key was in the start position every time you pushed the clutch in , the key didn't even have to be in the ignition. Since the computer controls the throttle electronically , if you have one it may be the problem. Just a thought ...
Factory alarm. I just got my SCT working and up loaded a tune to the car and I havent had that problem since but I'll keep you all posted
Old 9/23/09, 04:02 PM
eci
Banned

Take this car in IMMEDIATELY. This type of thing causes FATAL accidents.
Old 9/26/09, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
Take this car in IMMEDIATELY. This type of thing causes FATAL accidents.
Agreed!! Throttle by wire is nothing to mess with.

Don't forget to tell them not to reflash if you have a custom tune, but it sounds like the TB actuator is messed up.

Mike E
Old 9/27/09, 06:34 PM

It has not repeted the problem since the new tune was put in should I just put the stock tune in and take it in to the stealership?
Old 10/5/09, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I doubt it is a tuning issue. If it were me, I'd put the stock tune back and take it in.

Mike E
Old 10/24/09, 07:49 PM
GT Member

I see your throttle problem and raise you another throttle issue.

about a year ago while still under warranty, my 06-V6 would crash when I pushed in the clutch or let it idle. No check engine light, nothing. Just out of the blue it would quit. I did bring it in, and of course the code searchers didnt fine any codes so they didnt know where to look... (isnt there anyone that can diagnose cars these days if there isnt a friggin code stored in the computer) anyway, I digress.

Now a year later, my car is doing it again... It starts and for the most part runs fine. I leave the driveway and when I get to the corner light and push in the clutch, the engine dies. I turn the key and it starts right back up and runs like crap. idles about 750rpm, and sometimes dies again.
Then just last week, I was on my way home from work when I noticed that the rpms would climb when I pushed in the clutch. It didnt matter what the rpms were, it would rise to about 4000rpms and slowly drop back to normal. it did it every time I pushed in the clutch.

I called the steelership when I got home, and brought it in the next day. Of course, the car is running fine now, and still no code for the code readers.... and since its a year later, it out of warranty. (this pisses me off as it was documented as an issue while under warranty) but they did ask me to call them when it happens again an get it in right away to have code reader look at it.

Now to tonight. I ran my daughter to a friends house. Everything was running fine till I pushed the clutch in to pull into her friends driveway. Mid turn, the car died. turned the key and it restarted. Now all the way home, every time I needed to push the clutch in, changing gears, slowing for signals, or stop signs, ect. it died. Then as I pulled up to one of the last lights, pushing in the clutch, the rpms rose to about 4000 and evened out to normal, then everything was fine...

Im still gonna argue with the dealer about covering it since it was an issue before the expiration of the warranty. But what the heck is going on here??? Anyone out there have any idea??
Old 10/24/09, 08:11 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Busted
.....Im still gonna argue with the dealer about covering it since it was an issue before the expiration of the warranty. But what the heck is going on here??? Anyone out there have any idea??
My first hunch would be the clutch sensor/switch that requires you to push in the clutch for the engine to start.
Old 10/24/09, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
My first hunch would be the clutch sensor/switch that requires you to push in the clutch for the engine to start.
Im hearing you, but please explain. how or why would this effect the idle.
Old 10/25/09, 12:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Busted
Im hearing you, but please explain. how or why would this effect the idle.
You said it raised 4k. Did you mean 400ish rpm?

I'm no expert in computer controlled systems, don't know codes, but I would first suspect something in an electric circuit related to when you push the clutch in, as that seems to be the trigger. Perhaps a sensor or switch or simple slip on connector is starting to fail and sending irregular current to the PCM? And that affects idle?? Just a guess, but putting the clutch to the floor simultaneously to releasing the accelerator seems to be at the root cause as I understand your explanation.

Or could it be failing oxygen sensors - so when you let off the throttle, it reads too lean, enriches, and that increases rpm's?
Old 10/25/09, 02:21 PM
GT Member

You read that correctly, 4000 rpms then it would slowly settle down to normal, with the clutch in or not. Meaning I have taken it out of gear, and my foot off the clutch.
When the engine dies, it (while feathering it manually) will idle at about 500rpms and sometimes bounce between 500 and 750rpms. If I dont feather it, it will die. but its kinda hard to hold the clutch in, brake and feather it all at the same time....
Old 10/25/09, 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

A quick check would be to see if there is any gunk built up in the throttle body. This has been known to cause plenty of idle issues in the past. A quick search will yield many results on this problem.
Old 10/26/09, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Busted , I had a problem with my car dying if I was cruising on the highway and pushed the clutch in and let it coast. The RPM's would drop straight down to zero and the engine would die. If was OK if I was setting still just idling , I could push the clutch in and it would hold the RPM's. This starting occurring shortly after I had my S/C installed and at first Steeda though it had something to do with it. There were no codes and I'm not sure how Steeda determined it , but they replaced my throttle body and that fixed it. Don't know if it's your problem or not since my was OK at idle , but the crusing part sounds the same ...
Old 10/26/09, 02:54 PM
GT Member

going into work today, every time I needed it to idle, clutch in or not, it would die... I needed to even use the ebrake just to get the thing stopped.

I decided to fill it up, and I was thinking that it had something to do with the gas that was in it,,, or how much gas was in it, when it started to run right.

On to my trip home...
running fine, just as I started the turn to get on the interstate, it started to act real funny... Not the same as above, but really running like crap, and then the magic wrench came on. yeah!!!!!! I finally have a code!!!! Stopped at parts store on the way home, to pull the code-s and it said P2135. Unfortunately, I disconnected the code reader with the key on. When I restarted the car, the wrench light turned off.... ****!!! hopefully its stored in there somewhere. However, the car was back to normal the rest of the trip home.

code P2135 shows, Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “A” /"B" Voltage Correlation

I dont know if this is the same as my issue with the idle or not, but its a start.

On the other hand, one of my coworkers mentioned something about the check valve that should open when idling, as the butterfly on the throttle body closes. He said that these sometime get gummed up.... I took a look at the throttle body and hell I dont know which component we was referring to... (yes I need to get a service manual)

Thats about all for now. I did contact the dealership, but as of yet I havent made an appt to get it looked at.

Quick Reply: Throttle Getting Stuck