Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Temperature gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/10, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Temperature gauge problem

The temp. gauge on my car does not go down to 0 (far left) when the car is turned off. It was stopping at about the 1/4 mark and this morning it started at about the 1/2 mark and when warm was way past the redline on the right. Not sure if the gauge has gone bad or what.
Old 12/20/10, 06:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I see yours is an 05 and a lot of us have had the instrument cluster go bad and some of the gauges give false readings. Sounds like you've got one ...
Old 12/21/10, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Went back to normal when the weather warmed back up - only did it while we had temps. in the 20s and 30s.
Old 1/10/11, 06:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each gauge has a stepper motor on the back of it that runs it. Go on Ebay and type this in, and you will find several vendors selling an updated version of this motor. Most are about eight bucks each plus some shipping. Order enough to do your WHOLE cluster. (Either four or six, depending on the option on your car.) The cluster has to come out; five minute job at the most. Take the lens off and take it apart. If you're good with a soldering gun, you can fix this yourself. I'm not, so I had a friend do it for me on my tachometer. That's why I say order enough motors to do them all. As soon as my tach was fixed, the temp gauge crapped out, and started acting exactly like yours. Fix them all at once; they're all going to go out anyway. It was my way of not having to buy a $400.00 cluster from Ford, and have it programmed.
Old 11/1/11, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MARK
Each gauge has a stepper motor on the back of it that runs it. Go on Ebay and type this in, and you will find several vendors selling an updated version of this motor. Most are about eight bucks each plus some shipping. Order enough to do your WHOLE cluster. (Either four or six, depending on the option on your car.) The cluster has to come out; five minute job at the most. Take the lens off and take it apart. If you're good with a soldering gun, you can fix this yourself. I'm not, so I had a friend do it for me on my tachometer. That's why I say order enough motors to do them all. As soon as my tach was fixed, the temp gauge crapped out, and started acting exactly like yours. Fix them all at once; they're all going to go out anyway. It was my way of not having to buy a $400.00 cluster from Ford, and have it programmed.
What kind of stepper motor is required? Anybody have photos of the back of the gauge cluster showing these motors? I noticed my gas gauge was acting funny this morning when it was cold. I guess these motors don't like the cold temps.
Old 1/7/12, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a link showing how to do the stepper motor replacement:

http://www.ratstangrestoration.com/S...ent%20Pack.htm

And here is a link to buy the stepper motors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gen-4-X2..._Video&vxp=mtr

I'm looking into this now because the oil pressure gauge on my '05 GT started pointing to somehwere between 11 and 1 o'clock instead of the normal 5 to 7 o'clock positions. This just started happening yesterday on mine.
Old 1/13/12, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ordered some stepper motors off eBay the other day. Now just have tog et some time to replace them.
Old 1/22/12, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the instrument cluster out and the motors replaced but when I put it back in and hook it up the needles do not move when I turn the car on. Not sure what the problem may be. the rest of the dash appears to be working correctly (lights, etc.)
Old 1/29/12, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05RedGT
I got the instrument cluster out and the motors replaced but when I put it back in and hook it up the needles do not move when I turn the car on. Not sure what the problem may be. the rest of the dash appears to be working correctly (lights, etc.)
I don't know if you've taken care of this yet, but either your soldering wasn't good, or you didn't get the needles back on correctly. If you're not sure what's wrong, there is an option other than bringing the car to a dealer and having them replace the cluster; there is a company that repairs these gauges for $179. You pull the cluster yourself and send it to them, and they'll replace all the stepper motors and reassemble the cluster. Lifetime guarantee on the work too.

http://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-m...luster-repair/
Old 1/30/12, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wjones14
I don't know if you've taken care of this yet, but either your soldering wasn't good, or you didn't get the needles back on correctly. If you're not sure what's wrong, there is an option other than bringing the car to a dealer and having them replace the cluster; there is a company that repairs these gauges for $179. You pull the cluster yourself and send it to them, and they'll replace all the stepper motors and reassemble the cluster. Lifetime guarantee on the work too.

http://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-m...luster-repair/
All the motors appear to be soldered in good. I have taken the needles off twice to check them. When I turn the key off after checking it sounds like the motors are making a clicking noise.