Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

squeaky something!

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/11, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky something!

alright guys its driving me crazy, ive had an 05 GT for a few months now and ever since i got it the right rear has an annoying squeak,i thought the cheap pads the previous owner put on there were the problem so i replaced them,and got fresh rotors,the noise stopped for about45 minutes then came back a little then got worse and is back to the way it was if not worse,i also tried pulling the dust shield away from the rotor a bit but that didnt help either, has anyone else had this issue? as always any help is appreciated

thanks!
Old 7/12/11, 05:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
After my car was hit in the side and once I got it back I had a noise like that from the rear brakes. Everything looked OK , but it turned out that it was a little out of alignment and that was what was causing it. Any chance your car was hit ?
Old 7/12/11, 08:47 AM

I highly doubt it,everything is almost perfect in the rear and it has a clean title,and like i said after changing the brakes it went away for a short time,nice GT btw!
Old 7/12/11, 08:51 AM

Oh and i shouldve mentioned im pretty sure its brake related,the noise changes as i brake and goes away when i apply good pressure
Old 7/12/11, 09:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's been about 4 years so I don't remember all the details , but what you describe is pretty much what I remember experiencing. I got hit on the driver side and the noise was coming from the rear brake on that side ...
Old 7/12/11, 10:47 AM

Its the wierdest thing...its almost embarasaing to drive through my neighborhood lol,mines coming from thr right rear and its like a once every rotation type noise so idk maybe it is an alignment issue from another cause cuz it hasnt been hit at all
Old 7/12/11, 11:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Something on mine was bent when I got hit and that caused the misaligned. Could your rotor be warped , that might give the same symptoms ?
Old 7/12/11, 05:53 PM

thats what i thought but i just had them turned when i replaced the pads and it didnt fix it,starting to think maybe my pads are sticking to the rotor,i had the caliper off,and noticed the pins that the outer part of the caliper slide along,were all dry and gawled up,without thinking about it i greased em up and put it back together,then like i said it was fine for about 45 mins then came back, and today i noticed that that one wheel is covered in brake dust,while the other 3 are clean, (i washed the car on saturday) so im gonna take it aprt again tomorrow and clean the pins and re grease them hoping it works
Old 7/13/11, 06:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm not sure that turning a rotor will fix it if it's warped bad enough , you might want to google it and see ...
Old 8/2/11, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been having a similar problem. Had squeaky breaks, replaced the rotors (pads are a year old in good condition) they were quiet for the day, then starting acting up....really bad. I posted here and it was recommended I bed them in. I bedded them in formally, and they were quiet for a few days. But gradually got squeaky again. Frustrating problem, taking off/ putting wheels back on gets really old. I'm gonna try grease and softer pads, and see if that helps. If you find a solution, please do post.
Old 8/3/11, 03:09 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to be a Buttinski here, but what you describe is a caliper issue. One piston is not moving at the same stroke as the other. If it was a warped rotor, they could not turn it and the squeal would be warbling like a chirp. I would get two new calipers on the cheap from N-- Take--- and I bet that would fix the problem.