Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Squeaky Brakes! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/11, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Squeaky Brakes! Please help!

Ok, so I had my rotors changed a month ago, and my pads are almost a year old and still in good condition. The first day with the rotors was great, no problems. Ever since though, my brakes have been so obnoxiously loud! I thoroughly cleaned all the pads (removing quite a bit of brake dust) and the rotors with brake cleane. I then applied Disc Brake Quiet to the backs of all 8 pads. They were quiet for a while, but after driving on the highway they were squeaky as ever! And it's not a little squeak either, it's a very loud squeaking that is most distinct when lightly pressing on the brakes AFTER they've warmed up. They work fine, just very squeaky. I know that some squeaking is expected with new rotors, but ****! I drive the car every day on streets and the highway and have put several hundred miles on the rotors, do they need to be broken in more? I'm at wits end here fellas, and tired of driving with my windows up all the time, haha, its making me crazy! Thanks.
Old 6/29/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get new pads with the new rotors? Did you bed them in properly?
Old 6/29/11, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Rotors are a month old, and the pads are a year old with plenty of thickness left on 'em. I had the rotors done in the shop, and from what I can tell, the pads are in properly. What gets me is that they're loudest after they've warmed up. This morning I drove around and they didn't make a peep until maybe 20 minutes of driving.
Old 6/29/11, 09:40 PM
Cobra Member

I don't mean are they in the caliper properly, I mean are they bedded into the new rotors properly.

ie:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Old 6/29/11, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Ah. Well, no then, they haven't been bedded in formally. I'll give it a go and see if there's any improvement.
Old 6/29/11, 10:59 PM
Cobra Member

I was having this on my 5.0 went to kragen auto parts and picked up a squeak be gone for 10$ and sprayed the brakes down about every week and they haven't made a peep
Old 6/30/11, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Proper bedding (especially when installing new components) is essential to avoid squeaking. It can be repeated any time you wish, though, and should improve things.
If it doesn't, I'd recommend trashing the OEM pads, getting a Hawk ceramic or EBC Redstuff replacement, and repeating the bedding process.
Old 6/30/11, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Proper bedding (especially when installing new components) is essential to avoid squeaking.
I took her out on the Parkway last night, and followed the instructions provided in that link, and so far so good! No squeak, and smoother braking. Thanks alot man, it was driving me nuts!