Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Squeakstang???

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/11, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Squeakstang???

I dont know this is a squeak or a scrape or a moan or what, but my car is doing it, and I can't figure out what it is! Any ideas???

Only does it at idle. And at regular intervals, as you can see. Doesn't matter if the AC is on or off.

Here's a video I took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw4EZqa2b9U
Old 6/9/11, 11:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Man, that is *weird*.

I'd take a guess that maybe... *maybe*... it's the drive belt. *Possibly* the smooth side of the belt, where the print is, is hitting a pulley 'just so' and causing a harmonic.

But it sure sounds like a high speed grinding type noise, which makes me think a pulley itself... perhaps a tensioner or idler pulley, the bearings of which are going out? Or perhaps a water pump?

If you can get a long screwdriver (without getting it sucked into the drive belt and wrapping/flinging it about because of it) and put it on the center bolt of the pulleys and 'listen' to the handle, you may find that culprit faster. If it's regular, shouldn't take more than 10 careful minutes to find it, if it's that.

At the very least, you can probably pin point the area faster.

Oh, read somewhere that some valve covers seal better? and that adding breathers solved the problem? It was a very strange thing to read to me, but hey, I put it out there anyway.

Lookit, a second one... hm. That may be it. This one was from the driver side PCV, took it out, sound went away...

I also read about camshaft sensors, but it was for the 4.6L 6 cylinder. Still, something to check maybe.

Also about taking off the serpentine and running the car for a little bit (It won't hurt, from cold, for a minute or so, long enough to test) to see if the sound goes away.

Heres the google I did in case you find something else.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...w=1659&bih=877
Good dang luck though... That's an odd one.
Old 6/11/11, 08:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
my guess is the idler pulley or tension pulley deal starting to go bad.