Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

New owner of a 2007...need alarm keyfob advice

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/11, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner of a 2007...need alarm keyfob advice

Hi,
I just purchased a 2007 Mustang, and it only came with one key...no keyfob. Could anyone advise me how to get new keyfob & how to have it programmed...what info will I need (VIN#, etc.)
Thanks for any assistance
Old 6/11/11, 04:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink Got some money???

Gonna cost you...
A second key won't be cheap.
It needs to be programmed. If you have 2 keys you can do it yourself on the 3rd.
1 key, you need to pay the dealer or some one with the right equipment to do the job (some locksmiths can).
The key fob is and you don't need the VIN #.
http://www.keyless-remotes.com/Categ...d:2007:Mustang
The fob programming is in the manual, which I assume you will have to get online (because you probably don't have that either).
Old 6/11/11, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I wanted a key with "built-in" remote like the 2010+'s have, so I bought a 2008 Fusion key. The dealer cut & programmed the key, & I did the remote. Works great.

Last edited by mcate; 6/11/11 at 04:30 PM.
Old 6/12/11, 08:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
the local ace hardware can read/clone your single key, but its like 90 bucks. from then on though, youll be stuck with that option, as like already mentioned, you need two different coded existing keys in order to teach the car more...think theyll store up to 8 keys in the newer models. if you do get a FACTORY key programmed(heard its 120-200 depending on the dealer), be sure to buy a third/have it cut, teach it yourself in case you ever lose one again...I bought blanks off ebay for cheap, but most shops wont cut them...got to find a smalltown hardware store that might be willing to grind someone elses blank, the chain stores wont do anything but their own...

the fobs are easy, its in the owners manual- just a sequence of turning the key off/on in a certain sequence, then locking with the new remote. you can get fobs cheap on ebay, think I paid 10 bucks for a replacement one for the wifes car...

suggestion, if you have a 2 year old at home and get the bright idea to teach all of your cars to work off just one fob, suggest cutting the panic button out...

yeah, one night at about 2 am our youngest woke up and started playing with daddys keys, had three mustangs and a minivan playing a tune in the driveway and 2 garages...woke me up, I hit it again, one goes off, two go on, had to run out(raining of course) and do the drivers door lock/unlock twice to each to shut them all off... pop the fob apart and cut the pad out for the red button, programmed to just blink lights with no chirp of the horn to keep the neighborhood quiet in case he ever did it again...my wife still pops my trunk open though...maybe the one fob thing wasnt such a bright idea

I wanted to get a spare cut on one side for one car, the other side for another and they wouldnt do it...asked quite a few shops, nope...will need to find a cheep old key cutter on ebay i guess...
Old 6/12/11, 11:08 PM
GT Member

you can buy a key fob on eBay for under $20, if you get 2 you need to program them both at the same time. Sitting in the car with the doors closed, turn the ingnition key on and off 8 times (do not start car), the doors will cycle lock and unlock, then press any key on the fob to program.

If you need another key, you can also use a fusion all in one key (bought mine uncut on ebay and Lowes cut it for free) To program, sit in the car doors closed, turn the key on and off 10 times to program key. Do not start the car just on and off position.

No need to pay the dealer to do anything....you can find this info in the manual.
Old 6/15/11, 12:00 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by grabberorange1
If you need another key, you can also use a fusion all in one key (bought mine uncut on ebay and Lowes cut it for free) To program, sit in the car doors closed, turn the key on and off 10 times to program key. Do not start the car just on and off position.

No need to pay the dealer to do anything....you can find this info in the manual.
I coulda swore on mine to add a key, you had to have two different keys (already programmed) and cycle them thru before programming another?
its been a while though, and i'm getting forgetful

at ACE they have a RFID reader that can clone a new key with the same ID as your current single key...least thats what it looked like- one key, copy/program/use in the car without doing anything else.