Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Squeaks coming from rear when driving

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/07, 01:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaks coming from rear when driving

I was getting a loud squeaking sound coming from the passenger side rear of my car. Anytime I would brake it caused a squeak squeak sound that seemed to follow the rotation of the wheel. I took my car into the Ford dealer. They said my rear axle was within spec but my rotors were slightly out of spec. I just had them turned and put back on because my aftermarket rotor on that side cracked. I didn’t want to buy new stock rotors at the dealer’s price so I had them put mine back on. I had the squeak in the past but they swapped out the rear axle. Went squeak free for over a year.

I didn’t drive the car for about two weeks and had it out this weekend. Now I’m getting squeaks coming from both sides. My driver side rear does it when I’m braking or not. The right still only does it when I’m braking. It’s driving me nuts. I have new rotors on the way. I still think I have a bigger problem since I’m chewing through right rears and I don’t road race. Any ideas?
Old 4/23/07, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is the crack around the drilled holes in the rotor?

Is it a squeal or a fast repetitive squeak? High pitch like wear indicators?

The dealer should have caught it but the caliper could be freezing up. Do the pads look like they are wearing evenly?

Also I've read where some people have had parking breaks seize up on these cars.
Old 4/23/07, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...ake_squeek.pdf

Maybe this applies if you're still using stock pads and rotors.
Old 4/24/07, 07:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by randy_tho
Is the crack around the drilled holes in the rotor?

Is it a squeal or a fast repetitive squeak? High pitch like wear indicators?

The dealer should have caught it but the caliper could be freezing up. Do the pads look like they are wearing evenly?

Also I've read where some people have had parking breaks seize up on these cars.
It's a fast repetitive squeak. The passenger side has more wear to it hence it has warped. The aftermarket rotor I had put on cracked in a hole on that side after only 200 miles. I then had the original stock rotors turned and put back on. Now it's warped again on that side. I'm not sure what's up with the drivers side squeak because it happens without even using the brake. The dealer said the parking brake was working fine.
Old 4/28/07, 09:57 PM
V6 Member

I think i have the same thing, but dont think its brakes

My parking brake locked up a couple months ago and I had that fixed. I don't know if thats your problem. I have a whining squeak that i think is similar to what you're describing. It started last fall. Since it was cold my windows were up and I originally though it was the speedo cable around the dash. Of course when i took it to the dealer they never heard it and it kind of just stopped. But a couple days ago it just started again. Now that my windows are down I can tell its coming from outside the car rather than inside the cabin. Sounds like mid to front of the car and its definately tied to the speed. It happens between 10 - 20mph, not the tranny I shifted multiple times and the noise is constant, also not traction control, or overdrive i've toggled these all on and off and i don't think it has anything to do with the brakes. My guess is wheel bearings, axle, or rear end. I have audio that I will either link or attach when i can. Let me know if this is what you're hearing and if anyone can help me figure out what this is so I can get the dealer to fix it before the warranty runs out.

(these are wma files 3-5mb)
noise1 (towards end)
noise2 (you'll hear it throughout)
noise3 (you'll hear it throughout)

WHAT IS THIS!!!???

Originally Posted by bpmurr
It's a fast repetitive squeak. The passenger side has more wear to it hence it has warped. The aftermarket rotor I had put on cracked in a hole on that side after only 200 miles. I then had the original stock rotors turned and put back on. Now it's warped again on that side. I'm not sure what's up with the drivers side squeak because it happens without even using the brake. The dealer said the parking brake was working fine.
Old 4/29/07, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

ne2000, I'm guessing the drive shaft hanger bearing. I had a similar problem with a tow truck (I know it's not a mustang) at work and it was the bearing seal squeaking. I'd hose it down with water, drive it and the noise would disappear. You can try water spraying different area's/parts of your car to hear for a change in pitch.
Old 4/29/07, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was getting a loud squeaking sound coming from the passenger side rear of my car. Anytime I would brake it caused a squeak squeak sound that seemed to follow the rotation of the wheel. I took my car into the Ford dealer. They said my rear axle was within spec but my rotors were slightly out of spec. I just had them turned and put back on because my aftermarket rotor on that side cracked. I didn’t want to buy new stock rotors at the dealer’s price so I had them put mine back on. I had the squeak in the past but they swapped out the rear axle. Went squeak free for over a year.

I didn’t drive the car for about two weeks and had it out this weekend. Now I’m getting squeaks coming from both sides. My driver side rear does it when I’m braking or not. The right still only does it when I’m braking. It’s driving me nuts. I have new rotors on the way. I still think I have a bigger problem since I’m chewing through right rears and I don’t road race. Any ideas?
You might want to put new pads with those new rotors and start fresh. As for chewing through the right rears only, if the park brake cables aren't hanging on maybe you have a collasped right rear brake hose. It'll let pressure through but will be very slow releasing causing premature brake pad wear. Just something to ask your dealer if they checked for. I'm assuming the right rear pads are wearing even on each side indicating the caliper isn't hanging up on the slides.
Old 4/30/07, 08:12 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
ne2000, I'm guessing the drive shaft hanger bearing. I had a similar problem with a tow truck (I know it's not a mustang) at work and it was the bearing seal squeaking. I'd hose it down with water, drive it and the noise would disappear. You can try water spraying different area's/parts of your car to hear for a change in pitch.
thanks, Ill suggest that to the dealer.
Old 4/30/07, 09:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ne2000
My parking brake locked up a couple months ago and I had that fixed. I don't know if thats your problem. I have a whining squeak that i think is similar to what you're describing. It started last fall. Since it was cold my windows were up and I originally though it was the speedo cable around the dash. Of course when i took it to the dealer they never heard it and it kind of just stopped. But a couple days ago it just started again. Now that my windows are down I can tell its coming from outside the car rather than inside the cabin. Sounds like mid to front of the car and its definately tied to the speed. It happens between 10 - 20mph, not the tranny I shifted multiple times and the noise is constant, also not traction control, or overdrive i've toggled these all on and off and i don't think it has anything to do with the brakes. My guess is wheel bearings, axle, or rear end. I have audio that I will either link or attach when i can. Let me know if this is what you're hearing and if anyone can help me figure out what this is so I can get the dealer to fix it before the warranty runs out.

(these are wma files 3-5mb)
noise1 (towards end)
noise2 (you'll hear it throughout)
noise3 (you'll hear it throughout)

WHAT IS THIS!!!???
Your sound is totally different then mine. It will be interesting if the idea presented already is what fixes it. Mine is a traditional squeak squeak sound as the tire rotates. It seems that when something hits in a certain part of the rotation it causes the squeak. I'm putting new rotors on this week so I'll let you all know how that works out.
Old 5/1/07, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

The dealer should have caught this, and I'm not sure if the Mustang has them.

It could be a brake dust sheild on the backside of the rotor. Some cars have them and they get bent and contact the rotor.

That doesn't explain excessive pad wear though. It really sounds like you have a seizing caliper since your rotors cracked. It would have to be generating a lot of heat though? I've had them actually smoke.
Old 5/2/07, 06:18 PM
V6 Member

Its coming from the transmission...

For those of you that listened to that audio of my noise. Got it into the dealer today. Its coming from the transmission . In its 26k miles never given me a problem shifting so its going to be interesting to hear whats actually wrong. Probably won't find out till Friday. Till then I'm in a Chevy Cobol loaner. THAT CAR SUCKS!!!

Your sound is totally different then mine. It will be interesting if the idea presented already is what fixes it. Mine is a traditional squeak squeak sound as the tire rotates. It seems that when something hits in a certain part of the rotation it causes the squeak. I'm putting new rotors on this week so I'll let you all know how that works out.
Old 5/4/07, 07:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

After I swapped out the rotors the left squeek went away. The need a new right rear caliper which fixed the issue on that side. It was freezing up.
Old 2/16/08, 11:04 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

bpmurr,

Fist, sweet ride, bro!

Second, my e-brake froze up about a month or two ago. I didn't realize that the rear, passenger-side rotor was frozen until I got home and saw that it was scored pretty badly (not to mention it was VERY hot to the touch). I took my car to the dealership and they only fixed the e-brake lines, even after I asked them to take a look at my rear brake (I was sure it was warped due to the excessive heat and scoring). Just the other day, though, I noticed that I had the same squeaking coming from the rear of my car; the exact same sound as you're describing. I'm going to take my car in AGAIN, even after I had already asked them to fix the brake!
Old 6/17/08, 10:13 AM

i have a similar problem on my 06 Gt when i drive on a bumpy road there is an array of squeaks that comes from the rear end I have been successful at duplicating the sound only once by slamming the trunk shut however it hasnt worked anymore. I am taking the car in on monday I wanted to see if i could fix it myself before i got there because I have a feeling like always its gonna be an endless battle with Ford to fix it. If anyone figures out how to fix it that would be great im going to keep trying to find the problem and post if i figure out how to fix it.