Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Source of pinging??

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/08, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Source of pinging??

Today I took the Mustang out for a little fresh air after I washed her. Its a daily driver and I'm usually not overly spirited when I drive her....just sometimes Anyhow, I decided to take a nice run through the gears. Ran through first gear to about 3500 rpm and stepped on it after shifting to second. The car kind of hesitated for a moment then started pulling well. At about 5000 rpm or so I heard pinging and shifted into 3rd.....at that point I was afraid to bring the rpms up that high again, so I just shifted into 4th at around 3800-4000 or so, but luckily no pinging at that point.
I'm confused as to what could've caused it. There doesn't appear to be any air leaks, the gas is from the same gas station that I always get it from. When I had it dyno tuned last month the fuel/air ratio was fine. So what do you guys think? Is this maybe a case of "bad" gasoline, or something else?
Thanks,
Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dynotest.pdf (943.6 KB, 205 views)
Old 4/27/08, 05:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of things can cause it to ping...

The engine may not have been fully warmed up yet
The fuel may not have been 93 octane like you thought it was (gas station mix ups happen)
About 100 other things the computer looks at might have caused it to ping.

Unless it is a continual problem, I would not worry about it yet. You are not forced induction, so you don't have to worry much about blowing up parts as long as the pinging is not extreme.
Old 4/27/08, 07:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
A lot of things can cause it to ping...

The engine may not have been fully warmed up yet
The fuel may not have been 93 octane like you thought it was (gas station mix ups happen)
About 100 other things the computer looks at might have caused it to ping.

Unless it is a continual problem, I would not worry about it yet. You are not forced induction, so you don't have to worry much about blowing up parts as long as the pinging is not extreme.
+1
Just don't floor it at high rpms until the next tank of gas.
If it continues to be a problem ask Tillman to adjust the tune for you.
Old 4/27/08, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on it and try again after the next fill up. It hadn't pinged before and I hadn't changed anything in the engine since the tune was performed thats why I was confused. I feel better now after you had explained the other reasons it could've happened. Previously I had considered getting a 91 octane tune for it anyway just for a little octane cushion insurance. I'll wait and see what happens on my next "test" drive.
Thanks again

Last edited by GTMark052; 4/27/08 at 07:48 AM.
Old 4/30/08, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor

God **** look at those afr's

If it continues after you fill up again on a good full tank of 93, let me know and I'll send over an updated tune for you. Timing numbers weren't all that crazy... but anythings possible.

CR
Old 4/30/08, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

mine has k&n and it pings when the weather is really hot. It pings when the engine gets hot.
Old 4/30/08, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by st06vert
mine has k&n and it pings when the weather is really hot. It pings when the engine gets hot.
That's true, but his car has been running in 60 degree temps lately.
Old 4/30/08, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes thats about what the temps were that day, right around 60. I'm hoping its the gas but I still have between 1/4 and 1/2 tank left bfore I can find out. Part of me wants to burn right through it, but the other part wants me to take it easy and stretch it out as long as possible because of the prices

And thanks Chris....yeah those AFR's were ok I guess
I'll get in touch with you if it still pings after next fill up. Though the car still runs great at any rpm less than WOT. I may also be checking back with you on some LT headers too Thanks again for the great service!
Old 5/1/08, 11:45 AM
GT Member

I have the same CAI and the same problem. I had the pinging before I put the CAI on last week and actually added the K&N CAI hoping to cure it as some others have reported. Pinging is still there after about 10 miles or so when the engine is nice and hot. It's not constant pinging but it is annoying and somewhat embarrassing.

I'm going to put some Techron or Sea Foam in the gas tank tonight and then change the oil to synthetic this weekend to see if that helps.

I really think it's the gas around here that is the culprit. I've used both 89 and 91 octane and the pinging was still there. It's also worse with some tanks than it is with others and this didn't start happening until I reached about 3000-4000 miles. I'm at 6700 now. I've heard all makes and models pinging from time to time. Toyotas and Hondas included.

I welcome any other suggestions.
Old 5/1/08, 01:07 PM

what brand of gas do you use?

i use chevron and get 0 pinging. second choices for me are shell and bp.

exxon mobile = constant reproduceable pinging.
Old 5/1/08, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
what brand of gas do you use?

i use chevron and get 0 pinging. second choices for me are shell and bp.

exxon mobile = constant reproduceable pinging.
I used BP or Sunoco, but mostly BP, from day 1 until the pinging occurred. I then switched to Shell, which is a "tier 1" brand, for a while as someone else recommended but that didn't clear it up. We don't have Chevron around here and I don't recall ever using Exxon.

Our '06 V6 Explorer (maybe an occasional knock or ping when starting) has no pinging but the Escape and Mazda6 before the Expy and Stang both did. The Mazda6 pinging was very infrequent and light though. The Escape pinged a good bit and always seemed to go away when I used the discount gas our local mega grocery store sells at its chain of gas stations. I'm afraid to put that stuff in the Mustang but it may be the only cure. The gas they sell is from a local oil company and I hear it's not all that bad but who knows? Then again, who knows what the major chains are putting in our tanks these days?
Old 5/1/08, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by baggs32
I have the same CAI and the same problem. I had the pinging before I put the CAI on last week and actually added the K&N CAI hoping to cure it as some others have reported. Pinging is still there after about 10 miles or so when the engine is nice and hot. It's not constant pinging but it is annoying and somewhat embarrassing.

I'm going to put some Techron or Sea Foam in the gas tank tonight and then change the oil to synthetic this weekend to see if that helps.

I really think it's the gas around here that is the culprit. I've used both 89 and 91 octane and the pinging was still there. It's also worse with some tanks than it is with others and this didn't start happening until I reached about 3000-4000 miles. I'm at 6700 now. I've heard all makes and models pinging from time to time. Toyotas and Hondas included.

I welcome any other suggestions.
I have 5000 miles on my car currently. The first 1200 miles was ran on stock air box. I never hear any pinging but I wasn't listening for it either and never driven hard. After replacing it with K&N I start paying more attention to the sound of the motor. I started hearing the ping shifting from 2nd to 3rd but just briefly. The weather also started getting hot and I have been driving the car longer for 40 miles.
I am not doing the process of elimination at this time because I only drive it on the weekends. I am too lazy to wash the car after being driven and don't want to remove and put the k&n back. My conclusion at this point is maybe the fuel as I get my gas at different gas stations BUT our gas station gets their gas from one reservoir. As long as I don't use the 7-11 or little corner gas stations I think its okay. I use costco gas stations too. I also think it maybe the cai as others mentioned that it might be running lean. As I mentioned I only get brief ping shifting from 2nd to 3rd. ITs also hard to hear it sometimes because of my ford racing gt muffler. I think using seafoam is too early unless you have eextremely high mileage. Let us know what you come up with.

Last edited by st06vert; 5/1/08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 5/1/08, 02:02 PM
GT Member

I have 5000 miles on my car currently. The first 1200 miles was ran on stock air box. I never hear any pinging but I wasn't listening for it either and never driven hard. After replacing it with K&N I start paying more attention to the sound of the motor. I started hearing the ping shifting from 2nd to 3rd but just briefly. The weather also started getting hot and I have been driving the car longer for 40 miles.
I am not doing the process of elimination at this time because I only drive it on the weekends. I am too lazy to wash the car after being driven and don't want to remove and put the k&n back. My conclusion at this point is maybe the fuel as I get my gas at different gas stations BUT our gas station gets their gas from one reservoir. As long as I don't use the 7-11 or little corner gas stations I think its okay. I use costco gas stations too. I also think it maybe the cai as others mentioned that it might be running lean. As I mentioned I only get brief ping shifting from 2nd to 3rd. ITs also hard to hear it sometimes because of my ford racing gt muffler. I think using seafoam is too early unless you have eextremely high mileage. Let us know what you come up with.
It started as a short ping when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 and I thought it just might be the gears grabbing in the tranny. Now that the weather is getting warmer I get some pinging when the engine is bogged and my gear is too high for the speed as well. I've even heard pinging when gassing it in second gear at higher RPMs with this current tank of Sunoco which is not a good thing. I backed off right away when I heard that.

I've checked out a lot of the Sea Foam threads and it looks like a lot of people use it every time they change the oil just for peace of mind. I'm thinking I'll just go with the Techron this time and save the Sea Foam for later. Neither will do any harm at this point but the Techron just seems safer to me for some reason.
Old 5/1/08, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only "name brand" gasoline I have in my general area are Sunoco and Shell. There is a Shell gas station about 2 minutes from my home, so I've used Shell gas almost exclusively in this car. I have about 5300 miles on my car now, but so far that was the only time I noticed pinging.
Old 5/3/08, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I just noticed when I step on the gas gently I don't get any ping as opposed to LITTLE spirited driving.
Old 5/3/08, 04:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by baggs32
I used BP or Sunoco, but mostly BP, from day 1 until the pinging occurred. I then switched to Shell, which is a "tier 1" brand, for a while as someone else recommended but that didn't clear it up. We don't have Chevron around here and I don't recall ever using Exxon.

Our '06 V6 Explorer (maybe an occasional knock or ping when starting) has no pinging but the Escape and Mazda6 before the Expy and Stang both did. The Mazda6 pinging was very infrequent and light though. The Escape pinged a good bit and always seemed to go away when I used the discount gas our local mega grocery store sells at its chain of gas stations. I'm afraid to put that stuff in the Mustang but it may be the only cure. The gas they sell is from a local oil company and I hear it's not all that bad but who knows? Then again, who knows what the major chains are putting in our tanks these days?
i don't think bp and sunoco are top tier fuels. if you haven't been using a top tier fuel since the engine was new, then more than likely you have deposits in the c/c/, and the valves, at the least, maybe the rings too.
if you have been using premium fuel and haven't been driving the snot out of it, all the time, then you definitely have deposits. the premium grades have extra chemicals added to meet the advertised octane rating and are known to cause deposits in some engines when they're not driven hard on a consistent basis.

probably the best thing is to start with a duel cleansing treatment from the dealer or a shop. they disconnect the fuel lines, and pump some heavy duty cleansers through the engine while it's running. if that's too extreme, then try adding chevron's techron fuel treatment or berryman's fuel treatment. this stuff is strong, it's got ketone in it among other chemicals.

jackg
06 sts
Old 5/3/08, 06:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by justgreat
i don't think bp and sunoco are top tier fuels. if you haven't been using a top tier fuel since the engine was new, then more than likely you have deposits in the c/c/, and the valves, at the least, maybe the rings too.
if you have been using premium fuel and haven't been driving the snot out of it, all the time, then you definitely have deposits. the premium grades have extra chemicals added to meet the advertised octane rating and are known to cause deposits in some engines when they're not driven hard on a consistent basis.

probably the best thing is to start with a duel cleansing treatment from the dealer or a shop. they disconnect the fuel lines, and pump some heavy duty cleansers through the engine while it's running. if that's too extreme, then try adding chevron's techron fuel treatment or berryman's fuel treatment. this stuff is strong, it's got ketone in it among other chemicals.

jackg
06 sts
BP and Sunoco are definitely not top tier fuels. I filled up with the local discount gas which is produced by Guttman Oil as I've come to find out. I then poured most of a can of Sea Foam in the full gas tank and a couple of ouces in the oil filler. It was in the mid 70s on Friday after I did all of this and most of the pinging seemed to be gone after I drove it for a while. It was due for an oil change so I did that today and went from using the Motorcraft 5W-20 blend to Mobil 1 full synthetic. I have not driven it yet (it was raining a lot today) after the oil change so I'm hoping it has cleared up even more.

Even if the K&N CAI didn't clear the pinging up it has increaded my MPGs by almost 3 MPG which is a nice bonus.
Old 5/4/08, 08:36 PM

My K&N with a custom tune never has no pinging ever.
It is a conservative 93 tune, I could probably run 91 if we had that around here.
Oh, and I only run Shell.
Before the tune or with the stock setup I would have a slight pinging on hot days under hard acceleration.
IMO the K&N should have a tune like every other CAI.
Old 5/4/08, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

GTMark052 -

I had the same problem (pinging @ WOT over 4000 rpm's) with my CAI and tune. If it pings on the next fillup, have Tillman adjust your tune. My tuner made a small adjustment to WOT fuel and retarded 4000-8000 spark a little and my Mustang has been fine.