Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/06, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a little moan this am doing about 45 MPH going down a slight incline and making a small turn to the right. 8700 miles and this is the first time I have heard the noise. Came from the rear and I thought it was a truck on deceleration but then I didn't see a truck. Have to start listening more carefully to see if it repeats.
Old 1/23/07, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just wondering, does anyone know what the TSB fix is?

I have an FRPP ring & pinion that i'm holding off on having installed because I don't want to deal with the dealership fixing my differential and finding the gears (even though I don't think it would be a big deal). If it's the ring or pinion making the sound, then I shouldn't have to go get it fixed first.
Old 1/23/07, 07:42 AM
GT Member

If it is the same problem that I had, it is TSB 06-19-2. There are a few TSBs for the same problem. 06-19-2 should be the most recent one. "8.8 limited slip axle moan/groan noise during low speed turning maneuvers" Once they verify the problem, they install new limited slip clutch packs and change out your fluid adding friction modifier. I think if you go in there saying that you have done the research and give them the TSB number, they can go right to the problem and will give you minimal hassle.
Old 2/5/07, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question. I have a similar issue, but not exactly what you guys are seeing.
Mine is more like a squeak when turning, especially noticable in parking lots. It occurs when sitting still and turning the steering wheel as well.
Old 2/9/07, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Same problem, had clutch packs replaced, 6 months later sound came back, so I threw in 4 oz friction modifier, ok now, but I figure this is going to be a regular problem. Is there a better fix besides the normal TSB?
Old 2/10/07, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone used royal purple in the rear axle? They claim no additional friction modifiers are needed.

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html
Old 2/13/07, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

I took my car into the dealership at 15000, and they verified that it was this problem. They also said the noise was "very faint" (which is true), and advised me to wait and see if it went away on its own. It did. I haven't heard it in the last 8-9000 miles.
Old 4/20/07, 08:28 PM

So is it a "redo" on the TSB or "sit and wait"?

After having the TSB performed around the 3k mile mark, it has now returned at the 10k mile mark. Been contemplating another dealer visit but if they are going to repeat the same work, what's the point? Will whatever is causing the sound eventually sort itself out like one of the previous posts indicated?

=Socalfitzhttp://forums.bradbarnett.net/images/smilies/banghead.gif
Old 4/20/07, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

It hasn't for me. 2nd time around, it keeps getting worse. I've learned to keep my foot on the gas when turning. Under load it doesn't seem to make noise.
Old 4/28/07, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by socalfitz
After having the TSB performed around the 3k mile mark, it has now returned at the 10k mile mark. Been contemplating another dealer visit but if they are going to repeat the same work, what's the point? Will whatever is causing the sound eventually sort itself out like one of the previous posts indicated?
I feel your pain, I have been through 4 clutch kits and now have the same noise again. The noise seems to come back every 2 months. I am currently looking for an 07 or will be waiting for a 08 model. That will def get rid of the noise for good. Until those start making the same noise to
Old 5/1/07, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

Hate to say it, but getting an 07 doesn't guarantee it's fixed. i've got an 07 with same problem. Clutch packs were replaced around 3,000 and now the groaning is back at 10,000. Kind of embarassing to turn into a parking space with the car sounding like a crippled cow, but under power, it does fade out.
Old 5/17/07, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kryptonite
I have a question. I have a similar issue, but not exactly what you guys are seeing.
Mine is more like a squeak when turning, especially noticable in parking lots. It occurs when sitting still and turning the steering wheel as well.
I have had that exact problem for well over a year and no one could find it. Since I have over 66,000 miles on the car now, and less that 9,000 on the Extended Service Plan, I decided to take the car in to the original selling dealership 2 hours away and have an alignment done along with some other maintenance stuff. While it was in there I had them check out the squeal in the steering wheel, and the dash rattle.

They ended up talking to Ford about the squeal and replaced the rack and pinion. That eliminated the squeal.

For the dash rattle, the "A" pillar post was rubbing against metal of the dash. They put some type of insulating foam between the two. Rattle is now gone!

The car will need to go back though. The steering wheel also has something that sounds like marbles or small pebbles rolling around inside of it when you are sitting still and turning the steering wheel all the way either direction.

I'll keep you posted as to what they find out.
Old 5/17/07, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone fixed this themselves by adding friction modifier or any other way?
Old 5/28/07, 10:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have this problem too. I noticed it today when I did a you turn. It's a faint "whirring" noise. Is the TSB the solution? I've got 4K left on my factory warrant, so I would like to get this fixed.
Old 5/29/07, 10:03 AM

Does this have anything to do with the traction control system? I have had my clutchpack replaced, and just weeks later the sound returned. Recently leaving the office, I managed to easily break traction on my rear wheels when the traction control was engaged. So I was wondering if it had something to do with that, because unless I disengage the traction control I should not be getting wheel spin out of it. I too am curious if someone had success with a friction modifyer.
Old 5/31/07, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RajunPony06
Does this have anything to do with the traction control system? I have had my clutchpack replaced, and just weeks later the sound returned. Recently leaving the office, I managed to easily break traction on my rear wheels when the traction control was engaged. So I was wondering if it had something to do with that, because unless I disengage the traction control I should not be getting wheel spin out of it. I too am curious if someone had success with a friction modifyer.
Friction modifier seems to be a temporary fix.
Old 6/5/07, 12:31 AM

Going to go for TSB round 2

So I'm up to 12,000 miles, no change, if anything the sounds seems to be getting worse. I'm going to take it in for another TSB treatment and we'll see what happens then.

I can't believe this problem hasn't received more attention. How can some models "work" and others continue to have problems when everyone is using identical parts? As much as I love Ford and especially Mustangs, this really puts a blemish on the brand. If it persists for the life of the car it will be hard to become a repeat customer.

-Socalfitz

2006 Vista Blue Premium GT
Old 6/9/07, 09:54 AM

So for the record i'm actually at 11,300 miles.

Had the TSB done a few days ago. I forgot how nice it is to have a QUIET car when turning

Looks like my last TSB lasted a whopping 7000 miles. I'm hoping this one lasts a bit longer. It's amazing to me that there is no permanent FIX for this??

I'll keep you all updated.

-Socalfitz
Old 6/28/07, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought I'd try something different this time instead of taking it back to the dealer. I drained the rear axle lube and replaced it with royal purple max gear. They claim you don't need friction modifier. Well, it's now quiet as a mouse. I will update in a couple of months to see if it lasts.