Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Smart Junction Box Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/15, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I already checked with these guys and they have been on back order for nearly a year with Ford and could not give me an ETA on when their inventory would be replenished. Honestly the whole thing is pretty appalling to me as this is obviously a common problem (and clear engineering flaw) on cars that are 10 years old and newer and the parts are seemingly unsupported. Really makes me rethink my decision to buy Ford in the future.

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
Here's where I got mine a year or so ago, unfortunately it's about a $100 more than I paid and they're out of stock at the moment, but you might want to check it out.

http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2005...z-15604-dc.htm
Old 11/12/15, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Ok, it was buggin' me, so I did the legwork:

Here's the 2005 part number:
5R3T-15604-XX

And the 2007 part number:
7R3T-15604-XX

And the 2009 part number:
9R3T-15604-XX

Anyone notice a pattern? :/

The -XXs are, from what I can tell, body/options specific. Meaning a Coupe V6 base one won't work with a Convertible GT Fully Loaded one, or vice versa.

This right here is why they ask for your VIN at the Ford place, so they can get the right one.

Now, as I understand it, the 2005-2006 SJBs could have been, back when, replaced with 2007 and up modified (nee 'fixed') ones.

Nowhere have I seen the words "Without programming" except a lucky person or such, so even if you find a compatible one, you'll likely still need programming.

It would be *best* to match your car (except paint/seat cover trim) to one in a junkyard. Meaning if you have a 2005 GT Coupe with manual and IUP , then you might need to get a 2007 GT Coupe with IUP to at least be close enough to work.

But that's a guess at best.

This is the problem I have with these newer cars. They're getting to be like printers and televisions, in that when certain things break, you just are supposed toss them because it costs too much to fix, and buy another one to replace it.

Which is going to SUCK if that happens with Awesome. I ain't gonna let her go, but I ain't gonna be happy if she's a museum piece, in effect, because of some stupid 'smart' box that fries.

I miss the olden days of cars, but only for this reason.
Old 11/12/15, 05:33 PM

Ok, so I dropped by the dealer today just to see what they would tell me. I learned that currently Ford has 107 of those SJB on back order and the supplier gives a restock date of potential 12-23. Having been around this stuff a long time and after hearing from the usual preferred vendor that they've had them on order for nearly a year i'm guessing that delivery date won't be met. That means that potentially there are 100 Mustangs disabled either entirely or partially at this moment and some likely have been for months. Mine has only been down 2 weeks, but apparently that's just the start of it unless I can find a used one.

All of the above makes me serious question EVER buying another ford again. Though irritated that what is clearly an engineering flaw has caused the issue I can forgive that as the car is not new and I am not the original owner. I can excuse the 500 bucks that it would cost to repair even, but i'm having a VERY difficult time comprehending how months delays in parts supply for a critical component is even remotely acceptable in cars that are at most 10 years old. I'd love to hear from anyone else in the same boat as i'd really like to make a public spectacle out of this as a group if possible. Ford should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 11/12/15, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by expojeep@gmail.com
So jumping into this thread. My 05 GT Convertible suffered the dreaded water leak a couple weeks back and the SJB died completely. Thankfully the final death of the box occurred in my driveway so I was able to put it inside and drive my other rig. The issue now is finding a box as apparently they really just don't exist new at the moment. I've potentially found a used one, but though the donor car is an 05 GT, it is not a drop top. Can a used box be programmed for the convertible or do I need to keep looking?
Any advice is greatly appreciated or point me to a thread I haven't yet found searching.
Thanks,
Marc
Don't know where you are located but I got a few sjb from Ocean County auto wreckers in Bayville Nj. They have an 05 vert base model. I know they ship items so it may be worth the call toll free 800 773 2925 The stock number of the vehicle is OC15K886
Old 11/12/15, 06:01 PM

I'm up in the Northwest actually, but wouldn't matter if they ship. I do wnder about V6 vs V8 cars though. Would be upsetting to ship one 3K miles and find out it won't work correct. Good tip though. I'll follow it up.
Thanks,
Marc

Originally Posted by hobojack
Don't know where you are located but I got a few sjb from Ocean County auto wreckers in Bayville Nj. They have an 05 vert base model. I know they ship items so it may be worth the call toll free 800 773 2925 The stock number of the vehicle is OC15K886
Old 11/18/15, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by RedFire4.6
I'm so used to mine leaking water I just wrapped the SJB in a garbage bag with electrical tape; now I have no weird electrical glitches just a wet passenger compartment every now and then.
Mine sits in a carport, rarely ever gets out in the rain ..... but I do like this idea ......
Old 11/18/15, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by expojeep@gmail.com
I'd love to hear from anyone else in the same boat.
I've been waiting for a SJB from my dealer for 3 months. This will be the second SJB I've had to put in since I've owned the car.
My car is a 2005 with approx. 58,000 miles.
Old 12/13/15, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by garyb900
I've been waiting for a SJB from my dealer for 3 months. This will be the second SJB I've had to put in since I've owned the car.
My car is a 2005 with approx. 58,000 miles.
4 months and counting...

me...

FORD...
Old 12/13/15, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That ain't right , they have them or someone does somewhere ! I'm not being racist but thier acting like Jews tight with the buck.
Old 1/3/16, 07:09 PM

if I'm reading this right, then in order to use a used SJB all you need to do is find one with a matching VIN number. up to the last six characters. this site might be of help
http://www.hollanderparts.com
You can search by VIN. they don't list the SJB as one of the searchable parts, but you could find a possible VIN match for yours.
Old 3/28/16, 01:50 PM

Update: I found a used SJB at Prestige Mustang back in GA. They shipped it out and I plugged it in. Everything worked except the softtop and I was assured that reprogramming would solve that issue. I took it to the local dealer who flashed the module and said it took the programming, but I still have no top function. I've double checked the relays and fuses in the new box and all are accounted for and in the correct places. I did note strangely that the Odo mileage changed to the car this came out of and remains at that same number after programming. Do these Fords not store Odo readings in other modules for recovery purposes? It would seem otherwise you could easily "roll back" the odo by just plugging in a lower mileage SJB and flashing it.

What all this means is I am questioning if the box was actually programmed (or took the flash) or not and so far I have no means to verify it. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned they had access to a scanner capable of this work/verification and i'm curious if anyone in the NW (I'm near Seattle) has access to one?
Thanks,
Marc
Old 3/28/16, 06:41 PM

Ok, so the plot thickens. I was driving my car today and just for grins tapped the top button. Magically the windows dropped like they are supposed to and after unlatching the top went down normally. This would typically be a great thing except it now refuses to go up. I noted also that the overhead map lights aren't working again either. So this all makes me think the dealer flashed it just fine, but that possibly this SJB is simply faulty. Recalling I could not buy a new one and had to go used (cause Ford's parts support is TERRIBLE). So the next question is can I force the top up manually or will it damage it doing that? Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
Marc
Old 3/28/16, 07:05 PM

And more. So after posting I went back and double checked all the connectors at the SJB. Bingo interior lights lit up and top operated in the up and down direction. Not sure if i'll have more issues with it from here, but it may be helpful for another owner in the future to realize the map lights and power top operation are essentially on the same circuit. Likely the power runs both the switch and the light switches.
Old 3/28/16, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
You might wanna use some contact cleaner on them, 'cause it sounds like there's some lingering corrosion on those connectors.
Old 3/29/16, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Let's back up a minute to the odometer...So your mileage changed to the "new" SJB after install? Or did the dealership program that mileage? I've swapped just my gauge cluster, and the mileage swaps with it. So...where the hell is the mileage stored?
Old 3/29/16, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The mileage is stored in the cluster, not in the SJB.

SJB's are coupe / convertible, specific. The last prefix of the part number is the firmware inside. Find one of the same class, then flash in the proper firmware.

Dealers can NOT program the ODO.
Old 3/29/16, 08:26 AM

I suspect a opened connector pin is causing the intermittent condition for the top button. I extensively used contact cleaner on all plugs both when it initially failed and again just before installing the used unit and in fact all I did to get the circuit to come back was to push all the connectors in further even though (and I verified this) the locks were all snapped into position. I'm going to watch it for a couple days and see if it does it again. The good news is since the overhead lights are clearly on the same circuit it's pretty easy to identify if the connection is incomplete.

Interesting on the mileage. I'll be honest in that i'm questioning what it had on it when it failed back in early fall so it's possible i've just confused myself on the odo reading and it's a bit lower than I recalled. I only bought this car last summer so not much history either mentally or via paperwork to verify it at this point. It makes sense the odo reading would be stored in the cluster, just surprised it isn't also stored in additional modules.
Old 8/28/18, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pony07
Well, I've been bitten once again. I used to have a water leak onto the passenger floor, but they couldn't find it and it stopped. Of course my SJB had failed, so after it was replaced I still didn't see any water so I thought all is well.

The mirrors failed again, and after 1 particularly heavy rain the door locks went nuts. diagnosis? Water leak. This time traced to the pass. door moldings/weatherstripping which is a $300 job to replace all 3 pieces & apply a sealer specified in a TSB according to the Dealer. That leaves me on the hook still for a $400 SJB.

Question is: can I get one of those from a salvage yard? Does it require special programming that only a dealer can do, or can I replace it myself? What options do I have other than the dealer?
I installed my junkyard junction box an I didn't have to program it all I had to change a couple fuses under the hood but works out great
Old 8/28/18, 02:45 PM

50 dollar job
Old 4/20/23, 06:10 PM

I have been having issues with my 05 V6. Been going on for several years now. I know about the cowl drain plugs but never got into the extend of where it goes to until now, when I just took it out of storage. Started it up and no wipers. Checked all fuses was good. More I looked into issues it everything led to the SJB. Now I found a good junkyard one with all matching numbers. Installed it and still no wipers and now no HVAC. It stated and ran just fin otherwise. But looking I found a fuse in the hood fuse block for the SJB fuse. Replaced it and key fob did not work. I used the key to unlock the door and the alarm sounded. Only thing that would make it stop was disconnecting the battery. I just seen a video that the fobs need to be reprogrammed. Everything I have read so far has been SJB needs to be programmed and others have said no it doesn't (just need to find matching numbers box). So which is it?????? Lucky the car is not my daily driver so I have other vehicles to use while I get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Smart Junction Box Replacement