Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Shaker 500 Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/07, 10:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 500 Freeze

Does anyone else have this problem. I turned on my car tonight and my Shaker 500 head unit powered on, but no sound came out of the speakers. The display was showing the time and radio station, but I could not adjust anything. I could not turn it on or off. I could not adjust the volume. When I turned my headlights on, the buttons did not light up. I had to turn off my car and restart it. So far, this is a one time event. Although I have turned the car on before where only the subs turned on and the midrange speakers did not work. Just wondering if its happening to anyone else. Does anyone think I should take it into the dealership.

Thanks
Old 5/23/07, 05:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I will have had my car for 3 years in November and it's happened to me a couple of times. Like you , I would restart the car and it would be OK. I've never taken it to the Dealer , since unless it just happens to occur there they probably won't do anything ...
Old 5/23/07, 08:32 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you will find several issues with the shaker system. There are several topics about these headunits on this forum and you may find that like several of us have, you get so fed up with them constantly replacing the headunit that you finally go out and buy an aftermarket one.
Old 5/23/07, 10:05 AM
GT Member

I had that happen to the standard unit in my 05. I took it directly to the dealer when it happend so I could prove it too them.. They turned the car off and back on and it worked fine.

I have had some issues with the shaker 500 in my 06 but I have noticed it only seems to happen when the unit is warm.

I really think most of the problems with the stereos in these cars is caused buy heat build up.
Old 5/23/07, 05:36 PM
GT Member

Whats weird though is this happened at night after the car had been sitting for over 8 hours in low 60 degree temps. Dont think heat caused it.
Old 5/24/07, 10:50 AM
GT Member

I know this sounds stupid but I have had a couple weird electrical things happen when the car has sat a weird angle overnight.

I have a spot next to my driveway that has odd angles. I don't know why but it seems to act odd if I park it there for more than a couple hours.
Old 5/25/07, 10:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If its a once in a blue moon thing it may just be the computer having a brain fart. I have not had issues with the shaker, but twice I would start it up and the left blinker would be solid on. Moved the stalk to on and off and it went away, no other issues. My cell phones, digicams, cable tv boxes, and of course home computers have had simillar issues of weird gremlin happenings...I was taking pictures the other day for Ebay and it switched to child mode in auto, moved it off and on and all was well. I think if you paid as much attention to everything as you do a car a lot of stuff does it.
Old 5/28/07, 06:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Mine just skips nothing too big, just a pain it happens usually after a long cruise, and when the unit is hot, even with brand new cd's.
Old 8/29/07, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffgall
Whats weird though is this happened at night after the car had been sitting for over 8 hours in low 60 degree temps. Dont think heat caused it.
My radio did this same thing this morning. It was on but no sound, then I got it to go off and it would not come back on. I will see if it will come back on at lunch. Anybody have theirs replaced because of this?
Old 3/15/08, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Just had a similar problem. Had a factory authorized tech (recommended by my dealer) install Trip Tunes on Monday. Shaker 500, Sirius and ipod hookup worked great. Continued to work great until Friday morning when only the clock display would come on when the radio was turned on. Turned the car off, waited, restarted, no change. Off to the dealer.