Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Severe shift problem when cold

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/07, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severe shift problem when cold

I am a long time reader, first time poster.
I took delivery of my 07 Mustang GT Redfire on Nov 11.
Thanks to everyone for helping me make the decision.

My problem is that in the cold weather I can not shift into second gear without severe resistance and then there is a clunk, clash, grind, etc. And even into third is a little difficult. I have to warm up the car to full operating temperature which would take 15-20 minutes. The car would constantly be revving at 1500. Even plugging it in overnight would not help. The car was literally un-drivable.

We had a mild winter here in Burlington, ON until mid Jan when the overnight temp frequently went to -20C. We only had a bit of snow, two storms. Wow, what a blast to drive it in the snow. But oh how I cringe from all that salt.

I have taken it in to the dealer. At first they could not find anything wrong.
Then the Asst. Service Mgr took it for a spin and he could not get it into 3rd gear. So he ordered in a 3/4 synchro before taking the tranny apart.
Well, after waiting 9 days for the part and 3 days to repair, I went in to pick it up. I took it for a drive and found the same problem. It was only about -2C at the time.
I gave the keys back and told them it was not fixed.
Two days later I picked up the car. Of course it was now +12C and therefore no problems, so I could not tell if it was fixed or not. I enquired what they had done when it was in the first time around (hoping they also replaced the 1/2 synchro and various and sundry other parts). But he told me that all they had to do was to replace the fluid to a lighter one. He “explained” that at the factory there was an additive put in that made it too thick. The lighter fluid would take care of all problems. Why then did I still have the problem?

Oh was I mad. The BS these guys come up with like "we can't replicate the problem", "all Mustangs are like that" and even "all Fords are like that”.

If that is the case I don’t want it and will be replacing it before next winter.

Anyone with the same problem?
Any advice?
Help!

PS this Golfnut is going to NC in a couple of weeks (hopefully in my Mustang).
Old 3/15/07, 08:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Suggestions:
1) Make the dealer replace the entire tranny.
2) Take it to another dealer.
3) Call your regional Ford rep.
Old 3/15/07, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is supposed to get cold again this weekend so I thought I would take it to the dealer lot on Sunday night and let it sit. Then Monday morning make the Service Manager go on a test drive with me. I am sure that the problem will suddenly appear before their very eyes. Then, I would insist on at minimum a fix, or replace the tranny. If no satisfaction then to the Ford rep.
Old 3/16/07, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coldest I've had mine was about -5F, and no problems shifting when cold. Granted, I let it warm up for about 2-3 minutes, but still it shifted fine. A tiny bit more stiff on going into the gears, but nothing like you are describing.