Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Serious Problem after TSB 06-9-9 Repair

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/06, 07:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Serious Problem after TSB 06-9-9 Repair

Well I took my 06 GT in for the TSB 06-9-9 repair, where they replace the fuel pump assembly and man am I livid. I couldn't tell anything was wrong until I got a few miles from the dealer. I just cannot friggin' believe they screwed up my car during the process of getting it fixed.

Here's the problem:
If I feather the throttle to maintain about 30 mph speed there is a very bad vibration throughout the entire car and a sort of low rumbling sound to go with it. It only seems to do it around 30 mph plus or minus and even if I drop down to 3rd (it's an automatic) to change the pitch of the exhaust it still does it. I have Flowmasters on the back. When I get home I notice one of the Flowmasters is sticking more than an inch out from the rear than the other one. So I get under there looking at that and see that the notch and bump are okay where the muffler pipe goes in but I can't even see the rear mount bolt above the muffler so I know it's way to far back toward the rear. Next I crawl under and look at the connection at the H pipe and I can see where the pipe used to be and it's about 1-1/4" inch away from where it used to be. So I think okay, they must have loosened up the exhaust and some idiot didn't have the pipe all the way in before he tightened it. So I loosen it and then push the end of the muffler towards the front of the car and the pipe goes back to the original position. I tighten it down and think this must have been the vibration.
So I go driving around and the friggin' vibration is *still* there at around 30 miles per hour. I just can't can't beleive I can't trust a dealer to reapir a warranty item without further screwing something up. I'm taking it back in first thing to have them find what the hell it could be.

So, does anybody have an idea what they could have done that could cause this? I'm pretty worried about it because the vibration is bad. I can only assume they got to the fuel pump from under the car instead of back seats and screwed something up along the way.
Old 8/18/06, 07:40 PM

Not sure if this will help or not. I have an 07 GT Auto, and had flowmasters and the ford racing xpipe installed. I did the flows myself and everything was fine. Took the car to the shop to have the xpipe put on and when I drove it home the entire car shook like it was going to blow up. Checked the exhaust pipes and the clamp for the flowmasters was too close to the frame and hitting at certain speeds. If the midpipe clamps were loosened then it could've moved the axle back pipes and something is hitting the frame. Thought this might help.
Old 8/18/06, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Ok I just took it out again and this time got going around 30 mph and put it in neutral and the vibration is still there. I gunned it a few times to see if the exhaust sound would change the vibration and it did not. So it appears to be not related to exhaust pipes. While I had the work done I also had the tires rotated and balanced. I noticed the right fron tire has no balance weight anywher but the other 3 tires do. Also I seem to remember checking that and thought I saw that all 4 tires had been balanced and had weights on them.
If the balance fell off could a tire really vibrate the car that bad at a certain speed?
Old 8/18/06, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by anike7
Not sure if this will help or not. I have an 07 GT Auto, and had flowmasters and the ford racing xpipe installed. I did the flows myself and everything was fine. Took the car to the shop to have the xpipe put on and when I drove it home the entire car shook like it was going to blow up. Checked the exhaust pipes and the clamp for the flowmasters was too close to the frame and hitting at certain speeds. If the midpipe clamps were loosened then it could've moved the axle back pipes and something is hitting the frame. Thought this might help.
Thanks I'll look for that too. Everything was fine before I had the TSB done...just wondering how much stuff had to be moved to get to the pump.
Old 8/18/06, 10:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by blaster
Ok I just took it out again and this time got going around 30 mph and put it in neutral and the vibration is still there. I gunned it a few times to see if the exhaust sound would change the vibration and it did not. So it appears to be not related to exhaust pipes. While I had the work done I also had the tires rotated and balanced. I noticed the right fron tire has no balance weight anywher but the other 3 tires do. Also I seem to remember checking that and thought I saw that all 4 tires had been balanced and had weights on them.
If the balance fell off could a tire really vibrate the car that bad at a certain speed?
I had a car where a tire got out of balance and it shook pretty good. Does the steering wheel jump left and right real fast while it's doing it? Might have them check the tire balancing.
As far as the going at the fuel pump from underneath the car, I don't think it is physically possible due to where it is located, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 8/19/06, 12:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the TSB done on my car too, and they supposedly took the fuel tank out to get to the pump. I asked the service writer why they didn't just go inside the car, and he looked confused and said "the fuel pump is inside the tank, so you have to take the tank out to get to it."
I also noticed a bunch of brown "syrup" looking liquid in the spare tire well. Not sure what it is, doesn't smell like anything. I asked the service writer and he was like "we didn't go inside the car at all" so he said it could not have been from their install. Strange, since I KNOW it was not there a week ago.
Old 8/19/06, 08:53 AM
GT Member

Problem found, not fixed yet-drive shaft in wrong!

When I had this TSB done I had a feeling that something would go wrong. And it did. I took it back in this morning and am now driving a rental car until sometime Monday afternoon when they can fix it.
Apparently they drop the tank to get to the fuel pump (they never heard of going in thru back seat) and they must have to loosen or remove some of the exhaust and drop the drive shaft too. Well some idiot (supposedly their best mechanic) did not mark the drive shaft and it got put back in wrong, hence the vibration. They were thinking of attempting to fix it today but since there's 29 splines on it it could take a while with trial and error. The mechanic that did the work was not in today on Saturday and they decided they want him to fix it with the shop foreman overseeing. So they gave me a free rental car.
Also remember that I reported my over axle pipe was about 1-1/4" inches from being in all the way at the H Pipe connection. This was their doing too. I asked the service department guy to get someone who knows what they're doing to please check the entire job.
So I feel in my mind now that I will only let a dealer service department do a Multi-Point inspection and perform warranty work since I have no choice about that. But I won't take it to a dealer for anything else. I don't even trust them to change the oil.
Old 8/19/06, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Well they forgot to reseat the seal on mine. And I spilled 5-6 gallons while attepmting to fill it up. Now I get get 25 to the quarter tank. I have to wait til i get back in conus to get it fixed
Old 8/19/06, 01:20 PM
GT Member

You guys are not instilling confidence in my first Ford purchase...cripes
Old 8/20/06, 05:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
not the product but the dealers where they get serviced. I will be happy as long as they continue to fix, what they messed up. But as soon as I hear we did not do it, I will snap.
Old 8/20/06, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm unfamiliar with this TSB and we don't have it listed in the TSB Sticky. Any more info?

I had a code for my fuel sensing unit about 1000 miles ago. To change it they removed my back seat. They rolled the seal on it (that I discovered when I filled up ---- Splash ,splash) so they had to take a mulligan....
Old 8/20/06, 07:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
I think the Mustang GT is a great car and that's why I got it. I also think it's built well. I just don't trust dealer service departments...and not just Ford but *all* of them. I'm sure there's some good ones out there but I haven't found any around here yet.
Old 8/21/06, 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like when my ford dealer had my car for what... 2.5 weeks for the tranny tsb. Kept breaking clips and in the end..... Got it back together, put in the car and it wouldnt shift into any gear but i think 5th and reverse. I let em have it and within 1 day had the car back with a brand new tranny.. Nothing like getting a new transmission with 35k on the car. So I wont be revisiting them for any other warranty work.
Old 8/21/06, 05:39 PM
GT Member

End of the TSB Saga

Well I guess it wasn't all that bad. They found the problem and it was a simple mistake. They had put the driveshaft on 180 degrees out of phase and this can happen because everything lines up and looks the way it should in this position. So knowing it was out the mechanic just advanced it 180 degrees and that put it in the original position.
So I guess I was making a little bigger deal out of it than it really was. I was starting to get very worried. But the dealer was very apologetic and filled up my tank, which was almost on empty when I brought it in so that was fairly nice of them. So I guess it all turned out ok.
Also now I don't think the overaxle pipe being almost an inch out of the H Pipe coupler had anything to do with them. For awhile now I've been thinking my Flowmasters were just too loud. Now that the pipe is in the coupler all the way the Flowmasters are pretty tame and they sound fine to me. Actually now I wish they were a little louder. Before when the pipe was barely in the coupler I'd say my exhaust was twice as loud as it is now.
Old 8/21/06, 09:43 PM
GT Member

The do not have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. There is an access panel for it in the car. Not exactly sure where, but they did mine in less than an hour and never had it on a rack. I really don't think they even needed to drop the drive shaft.
Old 8/22/06, 11:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WB05stang
The do not have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. There is an access panel for it in the car. Not exactly sure where, but they did mine in less than an hour and never had it on a rack. I really don't think they even needed to drop the drive shaft.
That's what I thought too and I asked them. They said it *had* to be done from under. Then later when I talked with the service manager he said they should have gone in by removing the back seats. So I got conflicting answers from the people working in the same service department.
Old 8/23/06, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by blaster
That's what I thought too and I asked them. They said it *had* to be done from under. Then later when I talked with the service manager he said they should have gone in by removing the back seats. So I got conflicting answers from the people working in the same service department.
They are full of doo-doo ! The fuel pump is reachable from inside the car. The TSB specifies less than an hour to replace the pump... The dealership was also explaining me how easy this was since they didn't have to remove the gas tank to change it
Old 8/23/06, 03:43 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
This so bloody typical of the Dealerships....they screw up everything.

It makes warrenties a joke because when you go and get warrenty work done they dammage your car. everytime I hear this kind of stuff I just want to go ballistic.
There is simply NO BLOODY EXCUSE!

Sorry this stuff angers me

BLaster I hope you get this resolved and no dammage was done to your car.
Old 8/23/06, 04:13 PM
Cobra R Member

? Did they fix this whole fuel pump lag issue with the 07's???
Old 8/23/06, 04:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by burningman
This so bloody typical of the Dealerships....they screw up everything. It makes warrenties a joke because when you go and get warrenty work done they dammage your car. everytime I hear this kind of stuff I just want to go ballistic. There is simply NO BLOODY EXCUSE!
Sorry this stuff angers me. BLaster I hope you get this resolved and no dammage was done to your car.
I've been driving it at different speeds for 2 days now and it seems fine. When it was vibrating with the shaft installed 180 out I think I only drove it for maybe less than 1 hour total and it only vibrated at around 30 mph. So I don't think it was in that condition long enough to damge U joints or anything. Still though...made me wonder what else might be installed wrong and what might fall off my car a few hundred miles from now.

Quick Reply: Serious Problem after TSB 06-9-9 Repair