Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

A Scary situation

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/06, 08:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Scary situation

About two weeks ago I had a scary situation happen to me driving my Mustang. I was driving late at night on the highway and ran across a Altima SE-R that wanted to play. Well I gunned it and while I wasn't paying attention to my speed I was well into the triple digits. Then all the sudden the engine cut off and on top of that I lost power steering and brakes. However all my lights, stereo and everything else was on. My check engine light was on. The car was just coasting. I had a lot of highway and used the turns to slow the car down. Finally I was able to get it to restart and since then haven't had an issue.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? I use to feel pretty confident driving the car at high speeds. No more trips into the triple digits for me for awhile.
Old 12/14/06, 08:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problems like that at all, it's probably related to your tune/CAI somehow. The car probably detected a lean condition or something and shut down to protect itself. By the way, your brakes will still work with no engine power, they just will not be as EASY to work. With no engine power you lose the power hydraulic pump for the brakes. Just push hard on the pedal and they will stop.
Old 12/14/06, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
No problems like that at all, it's probably related to your tune/CAI somehow. The car probably detected a lean condition or something and shut down to protect itself. By the way, your brakes will still work with no engine power, they just will not be as EASY to work. With no engine power you lose the power hydraulic pump for the brakes. Just push hard on the pedal and they will stop.
The 05-up Mustangs appear to use a vacuum brake booster. If the engine shuts off, you have brake assist for maybe 1 or 2 pumps before you must really mash down the pedal to slow the car down from speed.
Old 12/14/06, 01:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by metroplex
The 05-up Mustangs appear to use a vacuum brake booster. If the engine shuts off, you have brake assist for maybe 1 or 2 pumps before you must really mash down the pedal to slow the car down from speed.
That's pretty much what happened. Scared that crap out of me. I'm guessing the A/F Ratio might have been off as theedge67 mentioned above. The car at a lot of really cold air coming in.
Old 12/14/06, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Geez dude thatd scare the crap outta me, never read about anyone have that problem though..
Old 12/14/06, 02:43 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, oh, man. That sucks. I keep hearing about similar problems with the car shutting down, and every time it seems to be people w/ the X-Cal 2. I don't know if it's the computer or the tunes, but that seems to be a common denominator. I've had similar problems w/ a Brenspeed tune, and you've got Bamachips, but we've both got X-Cal.
Old 12/14/06, 05:24 PM
GTR Member

how fast?/ I've had mine up to 120 w/ no problems
Old 12/14/06, 06:11 PM
I lust for a M24

Actually Chuck, my problems have been at varying speeds. Happens most often when I'm holding any speed for a while and coast to a stop. It's weird and irritating.
Old 12/15/06, 12:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
About two weeks ago I had a scary situation happen to me driving my Mustang. I was driving late at night on the highway and ran across a Altima SE-R that wanted to play. Well I gunned it and while I wasn't paying attention to my speed I was well into the triple digits. Then all the sudden the engine cut off and on top of that I lost power steering and brakes. However all my lights, stereo and everything else was on. My check engine light was on. The car was just coasting. I had a lot of highway and used the turns to slow the car down. Finally I was able to get it to restart and since then haven't had an issue.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? I use to feel pretty confident driving the car at high speeds. No more trips into the triple digits for me for awhile.
That is part of the rev and speed limit built into the engine. Puts the car into a limp home mode or shuts off.
Old 12/15/06, 01:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by elwhit95
That is part of the rev and speed limit built into the engine. Puts the car into a limp home mode or shuts off.
Thats funny...I have Doug's 93 Torque tune and had the Stang up to 152 mph on the German Autobahn with no problems at all. Even clocked off 155 mph with the Performance tune. Speed limiter is removed in the tune if I am not mistaken. The only thing that stopped the Stang from going faster was its drag coefficient.
Old 12/15/06, 01:18 AM
V6 Member

I have read on several forums that some people have had issues with their fuel pump. Might be something to look into.
Old 12/15/06, 01:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TombStone
I have read on several forums that some people have had issues with their fuel pump. Might be something to look into.
Hey Guy's! On my 06 I had the fuel pump issue thats TSB06-9-9 but thats a momentary hesitation due to air bubbles forming around the fuel pump after a extended drive. They (Dealer) replaced the pump and fuel sending unit! no questions asked, I think your dealing with a different problem here. I would at least contact my tuner and see what they say!........Good Luck!
Old 12/15/06, 12:18 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by elwhit95
No, those are two different systems.
Old 12/15/06, 12:23 PM
FR500 Member

thats really dangerous...glad nothing happened. im not saying street racing is good, but im hoping this was later at night when the traffic wasnt an issue cuz u coulda gotten hurt or even worse. ive never had an issue like this especially in the triple digits pretty much pushing the limits of the car and never anything like this. maybe when i get the intake and tune we'll see but im hoping not...
Old 12/15/06, 11:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
thats really dangerous...glad nothing happened. im not saying street racing is good, but im hoping this was later at night when the traffic wasnt an issue cuz u coulda gotten hurt or even worse. ive never had an issue like this especially in the triple digits pretty much pushing the limits of the car and never anything like this. maybe when i get the intake and tune we'll see but im hoping not...
It was about 10PM on a Sunday Night I had a lot of open highway. I haven't had it cut off since and I haven't had it up to that high of speed either. I might try again like at 3am or something after most of the drunks clear out.
Old 12/16/06, 05:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
No, those are two different systems.
Doesn't the revlimiter on the new GTs cut off fuel instead of spark? If it cuts out the fuel, it might have leaned it out too much thus causing a stallout...
Old 12/16/06, 07:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

That would not make sense for Ford to design it to produce a lean condition. The rev limiter is supposedly set up with a "fuel shutoff", which is the only way to cut fuel without inducing a lean condition...cut it off completely. If you cut all fuel to the cylinders, you'll just have air coming in which will definitely slow down the rpm's. Very smart way of doing it actually. Spark limiters can cause backfires that can damage cats/mufflers/misc. other stuff, not to mention sounding like you broke the engine.
Old 12/16/06, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That would not make sense for Ford to design it to produce a lean condition. The rev limiter is supposedly set up with a "fuel shutoff", which is the only way to cut fuel without inducing a lean condition...cut it off completely. If you cut all fuel to the cylinders, you'll just have air coming in which will definitely slow down the rpm's. Very smart way of doing it actually. Spark limiters can cause backfires that can damage cats/mufflers/misc. other stuff, not to mention sounding like you broke the engine.
A lean condition can be caused by the absence of gas.
Excessively lean (from a faulty fuel pump) can cause a stallout.
Old 12/16/06, 08:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

A lean condition can damage parts because of the higher burn temperatures in the cylinders. With NO fuel, there is NO burning, hence no damage. It is not a lean condition if there is NO fuel. Then there is just air going into the cylinders. What could possibly damage parts when there is no combustion whatsoever in the cylinders?
Old 12/16/06, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

A lean condition can damage parts because of the higher burn temperatures in the cylinders. With NO fuel, there is NO burning, hence no damage. It is not a lean condition if there is NO fuel. Then there is just air going into the cylinders. What could possibly damage parts when there is no combustion whatsoever in the cylinders?
Who said anything about damage? No gasoline = no combustion taking place. While air itself is the fuel (oxygen), the engine needs a gasoline and air mixture in order to stay running. If it is excessively lean (fuel is cutoff due to hitting a limiter) AND there is cavitation in the fuel pump pickup area, it can cause a stallout. If you don't believe me, start your engine and pull the fuse for your fuel pump (or disable the fuel pump). Let's see your engine maintain a smooth idle without any gasoline. It can pump all the air it wants into the cylinders until it stalls out.

The fail safe cooling system and the Hemi MDS is different because it alternates pumping air into the cylinders and pumping an air/gas mixture.

Quick Reply: A Scary situation