1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Advice needed on '65 body prep

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/11, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on '65 body prep

My name is Dan and I am in Troy, Alabama. My brother and I are attempting a complete restoration on a 1965 hardtop. I have researched the serial number and while the original color was Wimbledon White, there is also evidence of Red, Blue and Green paint jobs including other layers of primer and who knows what.
We are wanting to do a full restoration and have begun taking absolutely everything off the body, although we do not have an unlimited checking account much like the wonderful show Overhaulin'. This will be a daily driver, but we want it to be done right.

This is my question and I would appreciate any and all advice.

I wish we could afford to media blast, but if it is $1,000 or more, we can not.
I spoke with a gentleman with a company today near Troy that said he does sandblast cars for restoration, and he has done many in 15 years, and he said he uses 2/3 recycled sand and 1/3 virgin sand and because of his experience he has no problems with metal warping or metal pitting. I asked him about those two concerns because I have read warping and pitting are downsides of sandblasting.
His price was $800, which we are still hoping to get it done much cheaper, as in us doing the labor, even if it is sandblasting, which we have no experience in.

I have also seen and read about soda blasting and sand blasting kits you can purchase from Eastwood and other companies.

What are our options? I know what we want, and that is bare metal from top to bottom, front to back.
Then we will have the rust damage repaired and the body primed.

Am I close as to the order of progress?

Please give me any and all advice as we are going through with this but we would like to be as resourceful as possible yet still have a beautiful car when it is through.

Thanks,

Dan of Troy
(No relation to Helen)
Old 7/26/11, 10:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
$800 is a little much. My dad got his entire truck and frame blasted for about $500. They soda blasted the truck and sand blasted the frame.

I recommend soda blasting since it causes less heat on the metal making it less likely to cause the metal to warp.
Old 7/27/11, 11:50 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan you are going about it the right way. Have you considered trying to see if you can buy a blaster cheaper than the qoute you got? I think Harbor Freight sells them at a reasonable price. The best method for blasting is with walnut shells. It doesnt leave any marks on the metal and it also doesnt warp the metal either. It will leave it smooth and not rough. Just make sure that once it is bare metal you try not to touch it very mouch as that will cause it to start rusting too.
Old 7/27/11, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, thanks a bunch.....if I do decide to media blast or blast with walnut shells, can I buy the walnut shells through Eastwood or Harbor Freight, and does it take a special gun to use?