Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rough Shifting? Lemon Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/06, 08:00 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Shifting? Lemon Transmission.

You all know the new mustang is on transmission #2. I am thinking it needs to be on transmission #3.

I drove it the other night, and it is REALLY clunky. It clunks into gear and makes a clunk sound when it goes in gear. It is NOT smooth shifting at all.It is also vibratey. (sorry for the odd words, I am describing it as it feels and sounds) I thought I was just crazy because I don't drive that car very often, but Brian(my husband, its his mustang) asked me after if I thought it was driving right and I had to tell him no. He also thinks it is not "right" and he drives it every day.

Getting into the gears is difficult, and it is rough.
As well, the check engine light is coming back on at Random.
It has about 2,500 more miles on it than it did when the transmission was replaced the first time.

I have driven other 5 speed mustangs on test drives and for fun, and this is not right. Every other 5 speed I have driven is smooth and easy.

So how is your shifter? Are we just paranoid because it has been replaced once and is still not smooth like it should be? Its definitely going back to the shop tomorrow to be checked out- but is anyone else having an issue?
Old 10/29/06, 08:06 AM
GT Member

Mine works fine. the only problem i have is when comming out and going into reverse and some times 1st.
Old 10/29/06, 12:11 PM
GT Member

I've heard the shifting tends to be a little "clunky" in these because of the two-piece driveshaft, but that would be on all of them, so if yours in worse than test drives then I'd bet there's something wrong. I just learned to drive stick when I got mine, and I'm only at about 3,000 miles now driving a stick, and mine is a lot smoother than you're describing yours. Take it in, make them make it right...
Old 10/29/06, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 piece driveshaft should have nothing to do with how the trans performs especially regarding going in and out of gates. These transmissions all have their own little behaviors if you will. Some have almost a 2 step engagement on gears, others tend to be a little tight. The vibrations could be from a slighly faulty install process. If they missed a vib damper or something, it will definitely SEEM like it vibrates more. It's a piece of metal machinery. It does vibrate but they do an excellent job at keeping the vibs out of the passenger compartment.
Old 10/29/06, 01:40 PM
Cobra R Member

If you got 1 new tranny already, I bet you'll have to deal with a factory rep on another if they deem it to be the nature of these trannies (what you describe). They're not gonna keep changing them out for you, and this is kinda where I ended up after I made them put a new door panel(complete) for me after they scratched it up pretty bad. The new one came from the factory with a few scrapes (almost like a screwdriver marking)........not terribly bad, but they did tell me if I wanted another one, that they would have to refer me to the factory rep.
Old 10/29/06, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
What ATF is the dealership using? Tremec says M1 ATF will cause shift nibbling when cold, but it goes away when it is warm.
Old 10/29/06, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mines clunky and hard to get into gear also.
Old 10/29/06, 02:44 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
You all know the new mustang is on transmission #2. I am thinking it needs to be on transmission #3.

I drove it the other night, and it is REALLY clunky. It clunks into gear and makes a clunk sound when it goes in gear. It is NOT smooth shifting at all.It is also vibratey. (sorry for the odd words, I am describing it as it feels and sounds) I thought I was just crazy because I don't drive that car very often, but Brian(my husband, its his mustang) asked me after if I thought it was driving right and I had to tell him no. He also thinks it is not "right" and he drives it every day.

Getting into the gears is difficult, and it is rough.
As well, the check engine light is coming back on at Random.
It has about 2,500 more miles on it than it did when the transmission was replaced the first time.

I have driven other 5 speed mustangs on test drives and for fun, and this is not right. Every other 5 speed I have driven is smooth and easy.

So how is your shifter? Are we just paranoid because it has been replaced once and is still not smooth like it should be? Its definitely going back to the shop tomorrow to be checked out- but is anyone else having an issue?
Is this your first manual trans Mine shift's like butter
Old 10/30/06, 02:37 AM
Cobra Member

i say take it in.....it does not sound right....
Old 10/30/06, 08:48 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
Is this your first manual trans Mine shift's like butter
No
And Its not my car either.....

I guess its going back in. I don't know about the service idiots, they are the ones who forgot to hook everything back up the first time sending it back in for 2 days. Thats what has me worried.
That and the check engine light coming on(again)
Old 10/31/06, 01:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mine shifts just fine too, 2800 miles, no clunky noises or anything. I'd be tempted to bring up the lemon law to the service manager and see if that would give them incentive to repair the car right.
Old 10/31/06, 05:21 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I KNOW it isn't supposed to act like this. I have driven a jillion manuals. It shifts like my Dads Cj-5 which is supposed to be rough. Granted, I don't drive the car very often- maybe once a month, but Brian asked me last time I drove it if I thought it was right(and I didn't).
Also- he drove it to Palm Beach Fl last week and the check engine light was playing hide and seek with him. It did last time because they forgot to hook something up correctly.

This will be the third transmission if they replace it and including the one it was born with. How many do we get before we can turn it into a great pumpkin?
Old 10/31/06, 06:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

remember the shifter is remote mounted as well. it will never be smooth or silky smooth as with a top loaded unit like every other manual transmission car in the world, or liek the GT500 which is a top loader. i still have issues to this day even with a aftermarket shifter, kmember brace with torque limiters. i think its just the nature of the design of this remote mounted shifter. it is not tied into the tranny at all except for the shift linkage bolt and 1 support bolt. rhe back half of the shifter is tied to the unibody. so when the engine and tranny twist, the shifter doesnt move which is why most of us have problems shifting. the pattern isnt lined up anyore.

im not discounting your problem. from your description it seems as if you do have yet another tranny problem, but dont ever expect these cars to shift like a top loader
Old 10/31/06, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sviper
Mine works fine. the only problem i have is when comming out and going into reverse and some times 1st.
Mine is the exact same way. Having the service dept check it out today to see if they can find anything.

How many miles on your car? Mine had a tiny clunk the first 2500 miles until everything wore in, now it's smooth at 5k.
Old 10/31/06, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 94tbird
remember the shifter is remote mounted as well. it will never be smooth or silky smooth as with a top loaded unit like every other manual transmission car in the world, or liek the GT500 which is a top loader. i still have issues to this day even with a aftermarket shifter, kmember brace with torque limiters. i think its just the nature of the design of this remote mounted shifter. it is not tied into the tranny at all except for the shift linkage bolt and 1 support bolt. rhe back half of the shifter is tied to the unibody. so when the engine and tranny twist, the shifter doesnt move which is why most of us have problems shifting. the pattern isnt lined up anyore.

im not discounting your problem. from your description it seems as if you do have yet another tranny problem, but dont ever expect these cars to shift like a top loader
I'm looking at the Shelby GT500's FSM and it appears the TR-6060 uses a remote mounted shifter as well (not a top mount/direct mount) but with a different linkage setup/design. The TR-6060's shifter uses 2 braces and 1 linkage. The TR-3650's shifter appears to only use 1 brace and 1 linkage. I'm guessing here, but the powertrain twist from the torque may cause the TR-3650 shifter to misalign due to the lack of support, whereas the TR-6060 has dual linkages to keep it better aligned, making it seem smoother???

Remote mounted shifter on TR-6060:

Is there any way to adapt a better shifter setup for the TR-3650 (better support system)?
Old 10/31/06, 01:30 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Hmm
Now it flat out just doesn't want to go into gear. Ridiculous.
Its going back into the shop tomorrow first thing!!
Old 10/31/06, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Broken spiders or stripped groves on the planetary gear.

Is my thought

12k and only a little subborn getting into first smoothly when cold, when warmed up its ready to rip the gears like butter.
Old 10/31/06, 03:15 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Naw, its broked.....

And it isn't cold here yet, so we haven't had a cold issue.

It got 7,000 out of the first transmission, and this one is 2,000 miles old.
Old 10/31/06, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

ElenanorsMine

Mine (05) has been rough and clunky about 50% of the time since new (going on 20,000). I drove a 06 fresh off the lot to compare and it was worse. When shifting agressively its not so noticable. Its not real bad, but definitely a dissapointment. Yours sounds like its on the ragged edge. However, by limitation of the design, this thing will never be a smooth as the 'old' top loaders of the old day (60's).

metroplex

The TR-6060 looks like it has a little better external shifter set up as it has two braces back to the case (not one), where our 3560 only has one. Both only have one external linkage if you look closely.
Old 10/31/06, 08:16 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Ya,
Solution: Drive my Ellie until next year when I get my bullitt. Shes an auto, and I have never had problem one(save for the skipper 500) with her.

And Take Ralphie boy back to the shop for more tweaking.

Quick Reply: Rough Shifting? Lemon Transmission.