Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Problem with warranty if I get a custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/08, 12:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with warranty if I get a custom tune

Here is a newby question..I'm sorry if its a repost...I tried to do a search but could not find anything.

My question is - Will I have any issues with the warranty in the future if I get a custom tune and Sprcharger pulley swap on my GT500???
I notice on a lot of people's signatures that most have some kind of custom tune installed

Any info will be appreciated...

Thanks
Old 2/29/08, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it depends on the dealer. I spoke to my dealer who sells Ford Racing parts and he said CAI and a tune would not be a problem. You might want to talk to your dealer. I've seen a lot of posts where guys remove their CAI and revert to the stock tune whenever they go in for service.
Old 3/2/08, 04:44 PM

the cai will not affect your warranty. If it were me then i would at lest remove the tune and go back to stock settings. they can only deny a warranty claim if they can prove that the CAI or other After market part caused the problem and unless part of the CAI came apart and went in the motor and blow it up. what could a CAI do to void a warranty? the tune on the other hand

http://www.ipdusa.com/Will-adding-af...arranty/fi-28/
Old 3/2/08, 10:08 PM
GT Member

It depends on the dealer. A tune could get your whole powertrain voided if you're unlucky. I've had dealers tell me that just an axle back is enough to deny a powertrain claim. Forget the "they have to prove it caused the problem" advice. While technically that might be true, good luck spending the money to prove your point in court.
Old 3/3/08, 02:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blustang05
the cai will not affect your warranty. If it were me then i would at lest remove the tune and go back to stock settings. they can only deny a warranty claim if they can prove that the CAI or other After market part caused the problem and unless part of the CAI came apart and went in the motor and blow it up. what could a CAI do to void a warranty? the tune on the other hand

http://www.ipdusa.com/Will-adding-af...arranty/fi-28/

Thanks for the info and the link...Maybe I should ask my dealer and see what thet say about it.

I figure that if anything happens and need to take the car in for warranty service I can install the stock tune, but my concern is can they find out that I had a custom tune installed
Old 3/3/08, 02:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

How should they find out?

I think it is not possible to see that. A couple of months ago, I had to get mine checked and they used the Ford Laptop with their FMC software to check all the components and error codes... I had not changed bacl to stock tune. No problems. They did not recognize it.
Old 3/3/08, 02:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes they can.

Originally Posted by CooBra07
Thanks for the info and the link...Maybe I should ask my dealer and see what thet say about it.

I figure that if anything happens and need to take the car in for warranty service I can install the stock tune, but my concern is can they find out that I had a custom tune installed
Old 3/3/08, 02:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Yes they can.
How? They could'nt with mine.
Old 10/20/08, 01:22 PM

i have a 08 gt500

Originally Posted by CooBra07
Here is a newby question..I'm sorry if its a repost...I tried to do a search but could not find anything.

My question is - Will I have any issues with the warranty in the future if I get a custom tune and Sprcharger pulley swap on my GT500???
I notice on a lot of people's signatures that most have some kind of custom tune installed

Any info will be appreciated...

Thanks
i put a ford racing cold air kit on the car and the dealership is trying to tell me ,since this was installed after the car had over 1000 mile on it and not done by them it limits the warranty to 12000 miles .BE CAREFUL i will let you know how it turns out
Old 10/22/08, 07:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ask your dealer. Ignore that link. Yeah that act is great in theory. But whose got the cash to fight it in court? Ask your dealer or shop around for a Ford shop who will work with you.
Old 10/23/08, 08:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Novelty goat
It depends on the dealer. A tune could get your whole powertrain voided if you're unlucky. I've had dealers tell me that just an axle back is enough to deny a powertrain claim. Forget the "they have to prove it caused the problem" advice. While technically that might be true, good luck spending the money to prove your point in court.
If a dealer will void warranty coverage for only having aftermarket axle-back mufflers installed, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! Every Mustang that comes into my dealership has aftermarket mufflers and we do warranty work!! That dealer is full of !!!

And the whole "the modification has to cause the problem to void warranty" is true. If they can't prove it, you still are covered. Now, if you got a blower, and you throw a rod, your up a creek!
Old 10/23/08, 09:25 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Best Idea is to Talk to Servicing Dealer Before you Install. Btw When you Get the Ford Racing Stuff the Car Gets Registered when they Send you the Tune. As Far as The Dealer Detecting a Previously Installed Tune they Can if they Know How To Look. Every Dealer Interprets The Ford Warranty differently So Asking First is Simply the Smart way to go. Certainly You Can Fight a Denial but who wants to go though that. Below in PDF Form is a Ford Document which may help. Realize this predates The Ford Racing Products for the 05 up Stang.

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GEPerfMods96.pdf (1,015.2 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/23/08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11/1/08, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

I've been having a stalling problem with my 05. It started about 4k miles out of warranty (3/36). After trying everything I could think of, I finally took it to a dealer (actually ended up taking it to two different dealers, but not because of issues with the first one).

In both cases, both techs that were investigating the problem asked me about the CAI and the tune.

When I told them that I had previously returned it to stock (airbox and tune) as part of my troubleshooting, they both basically said "Ok" and moved on to the next question.

As it appears now, it is the PCM. They ordered a new PCM (it's at the dealer now and will be installed Monday) and said it was covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty.

Needless to say, I AM returning it to stock before the PCM is installed, but that is only because they have to program the new PCM and I want to make SURE I have the same calibration code on the new PCM (It should be as I THINK there was only one calibration code for 05 manual GTs) before I flash the new PCM.

Not to mention I plan on driving it around stock for a couple of weeks to make SURE the problem is fixed!
Old 11/4/08, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just always put back to factory setting restet by battery disconnectand put close to 50 miles on before you take it in, BUT ALWAYS read the stategy befor you upload a tune incase they reflashed the ECM I always tell them not too !
Old 11/4/08, 04:30 PM

I have the 93 tune from Diablosport installed. I'll just reload the stock tune, disconnect the battery, and take her in. Now the BBK TB and CAIK could be another story........
Old 11/5/08, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Technically, the DEALER can NOT void a warranty as they are NOT the issuer of that warranty. Ford is. That is a fine point of course... Half the battle is knowing your rights and being willing to discuss the case with the dealer in a rational manor if they do decide to be a pain.
Old 11/5/08, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

there's a good article entailing explanations to that very question, and more...I forget what issue, but it was in Fast Fords & Muscle Mustangs