Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2007 Convertible headliner problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/08, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Convertible headliner problem...

My car is a 2007 Convertible and will having 7,000 miles on it any day (unless it goes into storage soon). I take very good care of it (ok I'm a little obsessed about it as my family and friends will say). At 7,000 miles I wouldn't expect to see any problems with the top, but I recently discovered that my headliner has a puncture hole in it. I've had the top down probably less than 30 times this summer [unseasonably cool MN summer! ].

I took it to the dealer and was told that it didn't appear to be a warranted repair based on their examination. They hypothesized that when someone was buckling the seat belt that they caused the damage. Rarely does anyone ride in the back given the lack of head/leg room (I would say that I've only had people in the back 10 times since I bought the car in March). I believe that the cause is due to the top being raised/lowered. I can't see or feel anything it would get caught on though. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or have any ideas on what to do? The dealer told me to take it to a local upholstery shop, have them disassemble it (at my own cost), then ask them if they thought it was a warranted repair. If it was, then the dealer said they would sent it into Ford and see would be covered.

I don't think the dealer should be the judge of what caused something to be defective. How can he prove that a seat belt caused the damage and even if it did I would say that it's a design flaw. He even admitted that unlike the 'real world', according to Ford, you're guilty until proven innocent. I think that says a lot about the company. Ford is not earning any points in my book if this how they treat their customers and possibly losing any future purchases by myself. In tough economic times, they should be focusing on service because bad experiences are more memorable than good ones.

I will add pictures tomorrow when my batteries are charged and the lighting is better. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!!
Old 10/28/08, 01:05 AM

Pictures

Here are some pictures of the puncture hole. Pictures aren't the greatest, but it's difficult to capture the tear with a camera. The first six pictures are of the driver's side where the damage is and the last two are the passenger side for comparison. Let me know what you guys think!!
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_1.jpg   2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_2.jpg   2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_3.jpg   2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_4.jpg   2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_5.jpg  

2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_6.jpg   2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_7.jpg   2007 Convertible headliner problem...-mustang_headliner_8.jpg  
Old 10/28/08, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Either go to another dealer or call this dealership back and demand that they set up an appointment with the regional factory service representative. At a minimum they should have taken photos and e-mailed them to Ford for approval of service. Just from your photos there appears to be a radiused wear pattern on the liner with the tear in the middle of it.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 10/28/08, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do everything you can to get a Ford guy down there in person - write/call the stateAttorney General and find out what step you need to take to solve this - F#$k the service advisor - get to management.
Old 10/28/08, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96
Either go to another dealer or call this dealership back and demand that they set up an appointment with the regional factory service representative. At a minimum they should have taken photos and e-mailed them to Ford for approval of service. Just from your photos there appears to be a radiused wear pattern on the liner with the tear in the middle of it.

BB
Semper Fi
+1 demand an appointment with a regional factory service rep. Your hole was caused by the top being lowered and pinching the headliner. IMO it is a warranty repair.
Old 10/28/08, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
You have to be on them and don't take no for an answer. Tell them to look at it closer. Which dealership?
Old 10/29/08, 01:26 AM

I went to the library and used ALLDATA to look up TSB's and found two possible bulletins. TSB 07-17-8 Convertible Systems Concerns (I don't think this applies); and TSB 07-19-1 Convertible Top Wear- Built Before 10/11/2006: 'Issue: Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles built before 10/11/2006 and equipped with a convertible top could develop wear or a hole near the 4th bow and/or number 1 bow area. This is caused by the number 1 and number 4 bow wearing or pinching through the vinyl or cloth top.'

I understand that this refers to the convertible top, but I believe that if the top could be damaged, the headliner is also suspect to damage. As I count the bows, the hole is near the 4th bow.

As to which dealership I originally went to, it was Superior-Brookdale Ford. That's were the original owner bought it (I thought that they would be more willing to help).
Old 11/4/08, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I went out to my vert and checked around where you are experiencing the tear. There are a pair of pivoting support braces to the top bows at that location. On mine the pivot point would be right where your tear is located. I'll bet the supports are either bent or out of alignment and the pivot point is pinching your top against the side of the car when it folds down.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 11/7/08, 04:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
When I had the top cut problem, Ford denied it twice. Then I brought in photos from another member of the forum who did receive a top via a TSB replacement for the exact same thing. Then Ford gave in. To his credit, my service writer at the dealership kept after them, and was a great advocate for me.

Here's the original thread --> http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=462062
Old 11/7/08, 05:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
mine is fine so far.. Keep us posted on how this turns out. Id agree. its a waranty issue
Old 11/8/08, 07:17 PM

Update

I took my car into a different dealership and was treated much better, however they also say that it's an unwarrantable repair. The told me that the TSB's I found were not applicable because they were covering the convertible top and not the interior headliner. They showed me that the hole is only on the outer surface of the headliner and that this proves that there is no evidence to suggest that the top mechanism is the cause of the hole. They did say that if I still thought it was a design flaw I could have them take out the back seat and the rear interior panel so that they could see the top go down all the way to ensure that it's not something that they can't see with the seat in. However, I would be responsible for the cost if it comes back as an unwarrantable repair ($95/hour diagnosis rate: 2 hours to dismantle and 2 hours to reassemble). They suggested that I have an upholsterer melt the material and sew it.

Based on the evidence that the hole is caused from something on the interior and not the top mechanism and the potential costs I think that I'll just take it to the upholsterer.

I really appreciate all the support and advice! If anyone else experiences this problem or any other problems, don't let Ford blow you off. If you're not satisfied with their answers get another opinion. It's in their best interests to deny your claim, so fight them until your comfortable with what they are saying.
Old 11/9/08, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Granted it isn't spelled out in one of the TSB but this is definitely a wear issue. They are scaring you away with the cost of diagnosis and that is BS. You can take the rear seats out in about 10 to 15 minutes, there are only two bolts holding the seat backs in. I removed both the rear seat bottoms and backs when I was feeding a wire from my smart box to my Webelectric sequential tail lamp modules.

Did you check to see if the brace pivot I described was directly under your wear spot? Also I reiterate; demand that you have a factory service rep inspect your car. It is your right. Out of curiosity where is this happening?
Old 11/10/08, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

As an addendum; I live in a Podunk little town with only one Ford dealer. I have a blistering issue with my front hood and it is about to go in for warranty work. The body shop told me that Ford requires a case to be opened with corporate for all work and that photos are required including the area in question, the odometer, vehicle VIN, and tag. Since neither of the dealers you went to did any of this I believe they are trying to blow you off.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 11/10/08, 05:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I checked my 07's headliner and its in perfect condition...