Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Power Steering Pump Noise at 69K Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/14, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Power Steering Pump Noise at 69K Miles?

Lately, I have noticed my '07 Mustang V6 has been groaning when I turn the wheel sharply at idle or leaving parking spots. I checked the PS Fluid levels and it is in the middle of the Max and Min levels. I have searched Google for common issues with Mustangs and power steering noise. It doesn't seem that uncommon. But, I want to know if I really am going to have to hand out cash for a new power steering pump?
Old 3/18/14, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I had the same issue and it was solved by flushing / draining the old fluid out and refilling with a bottle of Ford Motorcraft friction modifier and new PS fluid. It worked so well I also used it on my moaning 1988 GT as well.
Old 3/18/14, 03:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by roger blose
I had the same issue and it was solved by flushing / draining the old fluid out and refilling with a bottle of Ford Motorcraft friction modifier and new PS fluid. It worked so well I also used it on my moaning 1988 GT as well.
Awesome thank you! I'll try that!
Old 3/20/14, 04:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Update: I took it to Grease Monkey to try to get the PS fluid flushed. They told me they couldn't, legally because there was a small leak from one of the PS lines. So, I took it by my shop to show them what was up. They said, since it is not causing me to lose PS fluid from the reservoir, it is probably the O ring around the line that is deteriorating. So, it is causing the pump to suck in moisture and air and that is what is making the groaning noise. Sp, on Monday, I am having the line replaced. They said it could be one of the smaller lines and cost less, but right now, they have me at $415 . Least I know what it is.
Old 3/24/14, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

$390 later. The line was replaced and the fluid flushed. Seems to have cured the sound problem.The steering feels better, too.

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 3/25/14 at 05:06 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Day after: I drove my car a bit after work today and just BARELY heard a slight creek sound out of the car when turning the wheel after leaving the parking spot. The sound was no where near as horrible as it was before.
Old 3/30/14, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Realized today, my power steering moaning has NOT been fixed...even after $390. I really hope it is not the harbinger of the power steering pump failing. Interestingly, it is worse when turning right.
Old 4/4/14, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not sure if anyone actually reads this, but...It may help someone out there.

Update: After a disagreement with the shop over what was actually said for the job. I planned on bringing the Mustang back to them today to diagnose the problem. They told me I could bring it by Thursday afternoon, too....But, as you know it, the noise wouldn't happen even after over an hour of driving yesterday. I then called the shop to tell them, there is no point in bringing it by if no noise can be heard. All, seemed good. Then an hour or so later, I had to make another trip out and it started to slightly moan.

So, where I left it off with the shop is, they told me that if at any point, it started making the noise and I was able to, to bring it by right then. But, after many frustrating moments, I have basically decided that I'll put up with the moaning until it get pretty constant (clear signs of severe damage).

What I am hoping is happening is that the system is SLOWLY exorcising the bubbles out on it's own. I asked the shop if that was a possibility. He told me it been seen. It can take a LONG time for them to make their way out even after a power steering fluid flush.

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 4/4/14 at 05:46 PM.
Old 4/8/14, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, yet another update.

So, for the last two days, it has not made noise, until today. It has gotten warmer, though. The noise was horrible. I immediately drove it to the shop and showed them. They listened to it. It seems definitely to be the pump. I had them give me an estimate for replacing it. One with a off brand pump and a 12 month warranty and another with a Ford pump for $50 more. I need to give them a call tomorrow to confirm.

Today, I spoke with the actual mechanic who did the work of the power steering line a few weeks ago. He confirmed that it was indeed leaking, but not like gushing. But, enough to let air get in and cause the noise from the pump. I am just getting very frustrated.
Old 4/9/14, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, I took my Mustang to another shop that really diagnosed the moaning sound. It was NOT the power steering pump. OMG, It was both tie rod end links that made the noise. So, it is getting fixed.
Old 4/29/14, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for keeping this updated. I'm just over 74k miles, and I think I may have the same problem. The problem just started presenting itself when it warmed up outside. It groans, creaks, and pops terribly when I turn at low speed and when taking off from a stop.

So your issue was definitely the end links? How much was the fix?
Old 4/30/14, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Thanks for keeping this updated. I'm just over 74k miles, and I think I may have the same problem. The problem just started presenting itself when it warmed up outside. It groans, creaks, and pops terribly when I turn at low speed and when taking off from a stop.

So your issue was definitely the end links? How much was the fix?
It definitely was. I got it fixed for $299 out the door (though that did include a 20% AAA member discount). It is so nice to not hear any noise when I steer! I really am glad I could help someone with my documentation of this. Good luck!

UPDATE: I also have reported the first shop to AAA. They have considered my feedback and they are going to visit the shop and notify them of a complaint.

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 4/30/14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 5/4/14, 04:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
anyone with a 05- thru maybe 07 should check the outer tie rod boots for rot...ford recalled for valvestems around 07, think maybe sthe same junky rubber made it into the tierod boots- my 06 was showing cracks at a year old, although didnt separate/leak grease till a couple years later...autozone and Summit sell urethane boots for like 6 bucks a pair to replace these with, still no grease fittings, but you can grease them when changing boots, then use a needle to grease fill the boots...
swapped mine a couple years ago, still going... sad thing, weve got a 1965 galaxie with its original tierods/balljoints, etc, rubber is still in perfect shape. gotta love todays cheep chinese parts

the front-lower control arm rear bushings on all our cars look bad too... had cracks showing when brand new, even on our still undriven- 4mile 09... Ford is definitely sourcing some subpar stuff these days, but they all do.

I bet the biggest reason for the outer tierod squeaks is blown rubber boots letting grease out/contaminants in... barring a lot of curb bumping/chuckhole abuse, those things should last >100k...once they start squeaking, metal galling has occurred, time to replace...even if not loose yet, once the bearing surfaces are tore up they will wear rapidly- gotta check the boots out before the noises start

Last edited by ford4v429; 5/4/14 at 04:15 PM.
Old 5/4/14, 04:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
anyone with a 05- thru maybe 07 should check the outer tie rod boots for rot...ford recalled for valvestems around 07, think maybe sthe same junky rubber made it into the tierod boots- my 06 was showing cracks at a year old, although didnt separate/leak grease till a couple years later...autozone and Summit sell urethane boots for like 6 bucks a pair to replace these with, still no grease fittings, but you can grease them when changing boots, then use a needle to grease fill the boots...
swapped mine a couple years ago, still going... sad thing, weve got a 1965 galaxie with its original tierods/balljoints, etc, rubber is still in perfect shape. gotta love todays cheep chinese parts

the front-lower control arm rear bushings on all our cars look bad too... had cracks showing when brand new, even on our still undriven- 4mile 09... Ford is definitely sourcing some subpar stuff these days, but they all do.

I bet the biggest reason for the outer tierod squeaks is blown rubber boots letting grease out/contaminants in... barring a lot of curb bumping/chuckhole abuse, those things should last >100k...once they start squeaking, metal galling has occurred, time to replace...even if not loose yet, once the bearing surfaces are tore up they will wear rapidly- gotta check the boots out before the noises start
Wow definitely good information! Thanks!

Another thing that has been "bugging" me lately is I'm not sure if my perception of the ride is getting worse or not. I find myself wincing when I got over bumps or potholes by accident. I don't know if shocks or struts are going bad. Can that add to shaking in the steering wheel under hard braking. I'm not sure.

I did have the front rotors resurfaced, which helped pretty well. But, the shake is still there. But, I dunno if I'm just paying more attention to the shake because I'm aware of it.

Old 5/4/14, 10:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
check your tires... I replaced mine and it was night and day, old ones were worn a bit, but looked OK. I put wider all around and the fronts wore fast- ride sucked at 5000 miles, flipped them inside/out, ride good again, but tires are shot already. Going back to narrower tires next time I think, alignment checked ok, but wider ones really wore quick. still looking at sizes- like the 17x10 wheel option, but tires are limited to drag radials in anything near 27" tall... decisions, decisions- might just go back to stock sizes, Ohios potholed roads from this last winter makes wide/low profile tires feel like a skateboard
Old 5/5/14, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
check your tires... I replaced mine and it was night and day, old ones were worn a bit, but looked OK. I put wider all around and the fronts wore fast- ride sucked at 5000 miles, flipped them inside/out, ride good again, but tires are shot already. Going back to narrower tires next time I think, alignment checked ok, but wider ones really wore quick. still looking at sizes- like the 17x10 wheel option, but tires are limited to drag radials in anything near 27" tall... decisions, decisions- might just go back to stock sizes, Ohios potholed roads from this last winter makes wide/low profile tires feel like a skateboard
Hmmm. That could be. But, my tires are actually fairly new.