Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Post your rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/05, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a rattle within the instrument cluster area that seems to be getting worse. I hear a click/rattle on nearly every bump. Also, I sometimes have a rattle around the passenger side of the dash, around the airbag. In addition I hear a rubbing sound when my manual transmission is in 1st, 3rd or 5th gear. It is caused by the shifter rubbing against the plastic casing around the shifter. I've had these problems since I bought the car last October, over 12,000 miles ago.

I've brought the car in to have these noises looked at, but they were not able to replicate anything. That was several months ago. I'm going to bring the car back in, and tell them not to give it back to me until the probelms are resolved.
Old 7/22/05, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

I have a rattle that's more like a "squeaking", which sounds like it's coming from the back seat. Any ideas?
Old 7/22/05, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by CA Stang@July 22, 2005, 9:45 AM
I have a rattle within the instrument cluster area that seems to be getting worse. I hear a click/rattle on nearly every bump. Also, I sometimes have a rattle around the passenger side of the dash, around the airbag. In addition I hear a rubbing sound when my manual transmission is in 1st, 3rd or 5th gear. It is caused by the shifter rubbing against the plastic casing around the shifter. I've had these problems since I bought the car last October, over 12,000 miles ago.

I've brought the car in to have these noises looked at, but they were not able to replicate anything. That was several months ago. I'm going to bring the car back in, and tell them not to give it back to me until the probelms are resolved.
i was able to fix the passenger side rattle by wedging black foam between the dashboard and pillar. Another rattle was coming from wires rubbing on the metal hinge of the glove compartment. I fixed that by pulling the glove box completely open and wrapping a small towel around the hinge to isolate it from the wires. The shifter rubbing can be minimized by pushing the boot all the way down so it no longer rubs against the shifter. The car has been rattle free for a month now

attached is a picture of wher i put the foam. its hard to see unless you are looking for it
[attachmentid=28162]
Old 7/22/05, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by CA Stang@July 22, 2005, 8:45 AM

Some years ago I had a car (Ford Taurus) with a dash rattle. The dealer could never hear it. Big frustration. One Sunday morning I went over to the dealer and drove around the nearby streets until I could duplicate the rattle. Next time I brought it in I took the mechanic down "rattle street." He heard it, the dash was replaced and all was well. If they can't hear it, they can't fix it. Some road surfaces bring out rattles more than others.
Old 7/22/05, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah...road surfaces have a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, I live in Kansas City, which by far away has the worst roads of anywhere I have ever been, in the state ranked #1 for the worst roads in America. You darn near need an all-terrain vehicle to live here. I almost moved to the Virgin Islands, and their roads weren't this bad. Anyone that lives here or knows the place knows what I am talking about.
Old 7/22/05, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

To everyone who has the rattle that sounds like it's coming from the passenger airbag, take out the passenger vent and see if it goes away. I traced mine back to the vent.
Old 7/22/05, 06:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Passenger side Borla muffler... haven't had time to look @ it.
Old 7/24/05, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangGT909@July 21, 2005, 5:36 PM
She must be pretty huge
:nono: :notnice: :nono: :notnice: :nono: :notnice: :nono:
Old 7/24/05, 11:23 AM

1300 miles and no rattles. crossing my fingers, I hate rattles!!
Old 7/25/05, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No rattles till I read this post and then went for a drive - now I've got an intermitent one in the lower left dash area. Thanks!
Old 7/28/05, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

My dash was rattling until the weather turned really hot, when, for the most part, the rattles stopped. Now that the weather has cooled off, the dash sounds worse than ever, making all sorts of squeeks, crackles and rattles, from end to end and everywhere in between. I'm going to have to take it to the dealer.
Old 7/28/05, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

right rear maybe in the deck?
Old 7/28/05, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Wink

one night my boyfriend and i went out with another couple and me and the other girl sat in the backseat(not without alot of arguing from me to my boyfriend) and i heard a rattle type sound coming from the back, around the back glass area. It might be the back "dash" where the speakers are or from the speakers themselves maybe? I don't really know...it was hard to focus on the rattle w/ 3 other people in the car but i've been meaning to check that one out.
Old 7/28/05, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jewls05GT+July 28, 2005, 4:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jewls05GT @ July 28, 2005, 4:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>right rear maybe in the deck?
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-HorsC
@July 28, 2005, 4:07 PM
i heard a rattle type sound coming from the back, around the back glass area. It might be the back "dash" where the speakers are or from the speakers themselves maybe?
[/quote]

That sounds just like the area my annoying rattle was coming from. Maybe you could ask your dealer to check it on your next service visit for the seat belt assembly. My rattle is gone, and that was the problem. I hated that rattle! I'm soooo glad it's gone!
Old 7/29/05, 05:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a rattle that seems to be coming from the right air vent or right end of the dash. You can only hear it when you get up on the high way.
Old 7/29/05, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by VintagMustang302@July 29, 2005, 5:38 AM
I have a rattle that seems to be coming from the right air vent or right end of the dash. You can only hear it when you get up on the high way.
I have the same noise on the left side. It sounds like it coming out of the vent. Kind of a tinny (sp) sound.
Michael
Old 7/29/05, 09:57 AM

The only other thing is when I really get on it, the high rpms...something in the front driver dash area vibrates, and the driver sub-woofer speaker grill will vibrate as well.
I noticed that I have a vibration/humming sound when I really get on it at about 4500-5500 rpm. I am pretty sure its coming from my parking brake lever vibrating. When I grab onto it it stops. Dont have a clue on how to stop it though.
Old 7/29/05, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

I've got a rattle in the passenger side rear and narrowed it down to the trunk lid. Haven't had time to figure out what to do with it yet though.

Doug
Old 7/29/05, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by VintagMustang302@July 29, 2005, 5:38 AM
That is what I have exactly!
Old 7/29/05, 10:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have a buzz at 4000-4500 rpms in 5th gear (going about 40mph). Happens in the trunk...on the passanger side. Almost sounds like metal vibrating. Only started when I installed the bassani's.

Quick Reply: Post your rattles!