Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Out of warranty what have you had to replace

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/10, 08:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under Warranty:

Transmission under Grinding/Growling TSB @ 6,000
Driver side handle replaced
Battery replaced

N/A since warranty expired. Car has 43K on it.
Old 8/30/10, 06:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rear Axle Assembly at ~70k miles at a cost of $850. 1 battery. Just passed 100k miles this month.
Old 8/30/10, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
finaly replaced my front brakes at 55 k. I was surprised on how much brake pad I had left.
Also had to replace the 3rd brake lite bulb
Old 9/7/10, 08:48 AM

83k miles.

Aside from typical things like Oil Changes, Air Oil & Fuel Filters, bulbs etc...

Fuel Pump TSB...would hesitate after a cruise.
E-Brake cable broke off from normal use
Parasitic Electric drain kills battery after sitting (even once Shaker was removed)
Occasional Throttle Body sticking (needs cleaning)
Passenger Water Leak
Tint Scratching
Something new that started was the AC fan won't start when I start the car, it takes about 15 seconds for it to kick on.

I love the car, but the water leak thing pisses me off.
Old 9/7/10, 08:56 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
83k miles.

Aside from typical things like Oil Changes, Air Oil & Fuel Filters, bulbs etc...

Fuel Pump TSB...would hesitate after a cruise.
E-Brake cable broke off from normal use
Parasitic Electric drain kills battery after sitting (even once Shaker was removed)
Occasional Throttle Body sticking (needs cleaning)
Passenger Water Leak
Tint Scratching
Something new that started was the AC fan won't start when I start the car, it takes about 15 seconds for it to kick on.

I love the car, but the water leak thing pisses me off.
Did they find the cause of the battery drain?
Old 9/14/10, 03:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really the only things I've had to replace are the vinyl inserts in the doors, and the passenger side head
Old 9/23/10, 12:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mileage 145,xxx miles.

Our 100k extended warranty expired 45k miles ago on our 2006 v6 s197.

Here is the list of all the work that has been done out of warranty, other than oil changes/air filters)

Front and rear brakes.. (rears were changed twice)..
Tail light bulbs. Since it has a shaker 1000 system and chase lights I change them all at once and put the old ones in a bag for the other vehicles to use.
Drive shaft was replaced with a custom steel one so I can change my u-joints easily next time.
Plugs were changed twice so far
Fuel filter has been changed twice.. I will be doing it more often now, the last one came out pretty dirty with 70k miles (2 years) on it.
Battery was replaced with an optima a year or so ago.
Inner and outer tie rods were just replaced (last week)

Work that needs to be done..
Clutch is getting weak.. I can smoke it easily with a hard/fast 1-2 shift. Clutch is being delivered today from Summit..
Rear end noise.. It has a rumble at 73mph and at a couple more speeds that is very pronounced on decel. I'm going to replace the entire rear end with an 8.8 with 3.55's and LS from newtakeoff

I've done all the work myself, but so far, its been doing really well.. Heck, its about to get its 1st front end alignment since I just did the tie rods (I got the toe set, I can't set camber myself).

~Mark

Last edited by maniak; 9/23/10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11/5/10, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

just did rear brakes at 58k alltho the drivers side looked like it had another 10 20k to go I toasted the passengers side. To many brake torques I guess lol
Old 11/5/10, 06:59 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Clutch on my GT500
Old 11/9/10, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
Clutch on my GT500
I've heard nightmare stories about pre-'10 GT500 clutches and Ford has apparently not been exactly kind about those clutches being replaced under warranty.
Old 11/9/10, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTAS
Really the only things I've had to replace are the vinyl inserts in the doors, and the passenger side head
Thats pretty ugly, is that just a casting annomoly or what??
Old 11/9/10, 05:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hey Lane how many miles were on the clock when that happened?
Old 11/10/10, 04:42 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
I've heard nightmare stories about pre-'10 GT500 clutches and Ford has apparently not been exactly kind about those clutches being replaced under warranty.
Yep, so far its been "ha ha, 12/12k warranty its your problem now and we can fix it for 2800 bucks just like the TSB says" (paraphrasing the dealer and Ford).

I'm looking into a SPEC dual disc clutch now and I've got a friend who has a lift so I might just go that route since Ford seems to have washed their hands of it. The SPEC clutch is a 10.5 diameter unit with organic discs and an aluminum flywheel, the discs and diaphragm are heavier than the 8.5 cermet factory clutch, but overall weight is about the same due to the flywheel.

Ford asked my opinion on the whole matter I told them, it sorta sucks my two prior Mustang GTs had proven to be more reliable under the same circumstances and that I'm not to sure I'd want to go with the factory clutch since I put between 18-20k on the car a year and given the current situation it looks like it would add roughly 3,000 a year in operating expenses.

I also find it odd that I seem to be the only GT500 guy that filed a complaint with NHSTA over clutch issues on the 07-09 cars, get enough complaints and they will investigate the matter and might even force a recall.
Old 11/17/10, 08:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
87000 miles and counting...

Under Warranty:
The rack and pinion had a groan, Ford replaced.
Driver side power window actuator

On my own:
The convertible top. The glass separated from the vinyl around 60k miles. I had an extended warranty, but Ford said it wasn't the design of the top but "weather" issues and washed their hands of it. (the car is garaged) KC from Clevenger Ford got me a deal on a cloth top, but parts and installation still ran me $1500. Ouch.

Battery crapped out 2 years ago. It's replacement is leaking stuff out of the top vent. I suspect it will go soon.

Did the brakes/rotors around 70k miles. They would have seen 100k easily.

Coming attractions:
The throwout bearing is making ominous noises. Also, the clutch has gotten incredibly heavy.

Drivers side leather is disintegrating. Probably a stop at newtakeoff.com will fix that issue.

Shocks/struts are pretty much done in.

Shaker 1000 is starting to skip. Wish I had an iPod port so I wouldn't need the CD player.

Spark plugs. 'Nuff said.

Overall though, I am very happy with the car and fully expect 150,000 miles out of it before I think about going shopping again.
Old 4/7/11, 11:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bump! Any one else with stuff they had to replace NOT covered by warranty please.
Old 4/7/11, 12:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just an update....

I just replaced the trans with a junk yard one yesterday. The new to us one had 29k miles and came out of a 2007.

Our old one I "think" 30k miles on it and it was put in at around 80k miles or so under waranty. The syncros were getting really bad on that trans now that we have 160k+ miles on the mustang.. That puts that trans we just took out at around 110k miles.

I did change the clutch a few months ago, and the new 8.8 rear axle will be here by next week which will swap the 7.5 rear end with 3.31 ratio to an 8.8 with 3.55 and LS (too much 80mph driving to go to 3.73)..

Overall, its still doing well considering how many miles we drive (35k/year) and that it drives 4-5 miles a day on dirt roads.

~Mark

Last edited by maniak; 4/7/11 at 12:10 PM.
Old 4/11/11, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Under warranty:
Shaker 500
2 Gas Tanks (the dealer messed up the 1st replacement)
Rear drive shaft (the dealer messed mine up replacing the gas tank the 2nd time)
Tires (I paid for myself as it was routine maintance)

Out of Warranty:
Alternator
Radio (even though I complained about it while it was under warranty)
Windshield Wiper Blades (yes mine lasted 5 years before needing replacing)
Battery

And I need to replace my lower lumbar support motor & my entire gauge cluster but haven't yet. I never used the lumbar support so I'm ok with it not working. But my battery gauge is standing straight up 90% of the time & my gas gauge stopped working right for a while but I don't wanna pay $600 to replace it yet.

EDIT~ There is currently 63,750 miles on the o. And I've gotta get the oil changed this week.
And my door trim just today started coming off, but alittle adhesive spray and I am hoping that will fix it.

Also there were about 7 trips in for my drivers window sticking in the up position. The kept recaliberating my window & it would fix it for a few days & then it would stick again. On the last trip in I told them not to recaliberate the window again, it was not what was wrong with it, I could do that myself & I wanted it fixed. They finally figured that my sensor was frozen & all has been well with the window since.

Same thing with my radio, battery, & alternator that I had to replace out of warranty. The battery kept running down & we'd have to jump it every couple of days. When you turned off the car you could hear the radio still turning & clicking. I took it in & told them that but 4 days later they said that wasn't what was wrong with it, that it was my radar detector. Well we were set to come in & pick it up & wouldn't you know they went to bring it out & the battery was dead. A week after I took it in they decide it was the radio. They disconnected the radio but I ended up having to replace my battery anyway & it still ran down so we replaced the alternator. After replacing the radio, alternator, & battery the only time it has had to be jumped was after I left the light on for 4 days while we were outta town.....OOPS!!!

Last edited by kerafaith; 4/11/11 at 09:26 AM.
Old 4/12/11, 12:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow, I hope you don't still go to that same dealership. They sound terrible...
Old 4/18/11, 01:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My hood is starting to rust on my 07 GT. Had it fixed once under the bumper to bumper. Now its starting again now the dealership says I'm on my own. I called ford and they said the same thing. I guess start saving my money to repaint my hood.
Old 7/21/11, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

bump. Hows everyone doing? my ride is still holding up pretty good just turned 60k and paid it off. Knock on wood

Quick Reply: Out of warranty what have you had to replace