Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

OK, I need to vent. Tire issue warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/07 | 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, I need to vent. Tire issue warranty???

OK, I have had my 06 for just over a year now and it has 13.5k miles on it. At around 4k miles I picked up a vibration at higher speeds and it turned out the tires needed to be road balanced (not sure why they went out of balance). Well, that fixed that.

Now fast forward to about a month or so ago. The vibration returns. It's very similar to the one I had last year and I figure yet once again a tire is out of balance. I took it in today and had them look at it and all of the sudden I see the service writer rolling one of my tires out to me. He them shows me what he says is the issue. 2 of my tires are bald and need to be replaced. As a matter of fact he says...your rear tires.

Hmmmmmmm, well lets see. Since it's pretty obvious I know where he is going with this I point out to him that well, why is it only the CENTERS of my tire that is bald? Of course I have spun the tires here and there but nothing enough to cause them to go bald so I tell him that's out the window. I then ask him how much to replace them? He tells me 400+ total for the install at which time I tell him something is not right here. The 2 tires are only worn in the centers. This is usually caused by over inflated tires. Well now that's a problem as well. I check my tires weekly and keep them at 32psi as the stated inside the door not to mention id I over inflated them I would have messed up the other two as well.

So he tells me if it's a defect in the tires then I need to take the car to a BFGoodrich dealer to have them replace them.

OK.. W..................T.......................F????

What in the blue hell is a 3/36000 warranty for then? Is he correct in that statement?

Sorry for the rant, they messed up a few other things today and I am just hot.

Thanks
Old 9/4/07 | 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear that. You are correct. What is a 3/36,000 warranty for then????

This is why I hate to take my car in for any service or any problem...They can take your money real fast...Then have no idea what is wrong or normal use...Why do you have to go any where? They should replace them for you period....Call someone, I know this is frustrating and I feel for you...

Good luck, let us know what happens...Joseph...
Old 9/5/07 | 05:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

discount tire they are the best in my book. Your not going to get your tires covered under warranty unless there is a side wall bubble or tread seperation. Bald tires only say one thing. You abused them! I take it you never rotated your tires?
Old 9/5/07 | 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I may be wrong but I typically I think that the tires are covered by the tire manufacturer, not Ford and maybe only for the first 12 months (I am recalling this from my last car - things may have changed since then). Check your owners manual.
Old 9/5/07 | 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
discount tire they are the best in my book. Your not going to get your tires covered under warranty unless there is a side wall bubble or tread seperation. Bald tires only say one thing. You abused them! I take it you never rotated your tires?
Nope and yup. Tires are not abused and where on the on the front of the car for the first 6k and rotated to the back at that point. They are ready to be rotated again (I like to rotate them every 6 to 8k). Bald tires across the entire tread pattern is abuse, only in the center with plenty of tread to the outer edges is not.

Spoke with BFGoodrich and they told me to have them inspected again by a BF dealer and go from there. The fact that they fell out of balance and needed a RF balance at 3k also indicates an issue and possible defect.

Will update after I get them checked.
Old 9/5/07 | 10:49 AM
Big Falken Tires

Hey Gary,
Yeah I didn't know about the previous vibration and then balancing...

THAT casts things in a different light as there is definitely something going on there besides what looks like the symptoms of overinflation (which we know you didn't have)

Yeah this seems like a true tire issue - see what BF G says as I haven't heard anything bad about their service so far.

"Bald tires only say one thing. You abused them!"

Ummm... not necessarily, NO.....
Old 9/6/07 | 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

If they were overinflated, then laying rubber WOULD cause them to wear in the center more than the edges.

What type of gauge do you use to check your tire pressure. You'd be surprised at the difference between a quality dial gauge and everything else. Perhaps you're overinflating without knowing it?
Old 9/6/07 | 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

05RedGt is right the tires are covered by the tire manufacturer's warranty. The tire warranty guide should be in a seperate book in your owner's manual package. It is a ***** though to have to replace the tires so soon.
Old 9/6/07 | 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rash
If they were overinflated, then laying rubber WOULD cause them to wear in the center more than the edges.

What type of gauge do you use to check your tire pressure. You'd be surprised at the difference between a quality dial gauge and everything else. Perhaps you're overinflating without knowing it?

http://www.rebcoperformance.com/cata...id=227&catid=8

Remember my OP, only 2 of the tires have the issue and they used to be on the front. If I was over inflating I am guessing the other 2 tires would be wearing the same. These are also the tires that had to be RF balanced around 4k. BFGoodrich even stated it sounds like something else is wrong.

No doubt on crappy gauges. The worst thing in the world is using the gauge on the air units at the gas stations. Those things are are pretty much always off.
Old 9/6/07 | 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Did the earlier GTs come with BF Goodrich tires? Our '07 has Pirelli P-Zero tires. does Ford shop around for original tires to put on these cars?
Old 9/6/07 | 10:06 AM
GT Member

Boy I am glad I don’t work some place where I have to deal with people like you.
Open your glove box and READ.

Wear items covered by warranty?
You driving a BMW?

Tires bald – rear only – 13,000 miles
(wow – you must be SO attentive – not noticing…)

Yeah – sounds like a defect – look in mirror to see it.
Old 9/6/07 | 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Adam8g
Boy I am glad I don’t work some place where I have to deal with people like you.

You driving a BMW?
Looks like your the one who doesn't read. Before commenting perhaps you should read the original post. Is there something wrong with me making sure it's not a defect before I have to dump 400+ on tires?????

Hmmmmm, lets see, you don't know me, I don't know you (thank god) but you have obviously "assumed" because I have a Mustang GT I am warming the tires for my 1/4 mile run at every stop light. I really hope for your sake you don't lead your life on assumptions.

Apology NOT excepted! I don't recall ever telling you I am your sound board when you get ****ed off. Take your PMS elsewhere and start your own thread.
Old 9/6/07 | 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Hey Gary,
Yeah I didn't know about the previous vibration and then balancing...

THAT casts things in a different light as there is definitely something going on there besides what looks like the symptoms of overinflation (which we know you didn't have)

Yeah this seems like a true tire issue - see what BF G says as I haven't heard anything bad about their service so far.

"Bald tires only say one thing. You abused them!"

Ummm... not necessarily, NO.....
I kinda ment that is what I think they will try and tell him. Should have worded it a bit different
Old 9/6/07 | 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Still begs the question of why you have BFGs on your car and the most of us have the perellis
Old 9/6/07 | 01:26 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
Still begs the question of why you have BFGs on your car and the most of us have the perellis
Possibly because when you order the polished 18 inch wheel option on the car, BF Gs are what come stock on them.
Old 9/6/07 | 03:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Possibly because when you order the polished 18 inch wheel option on the car, BF Gs are what come stock on them.
On the two '07 verts I have had, they both had the BF G
18" Fanblades
&
18" Polished Bullitts

Tom
Old 9/6/07 | 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by poldrv
05RedGt is right the tires are covered by the tire manufacturer's warranty. The tire warranty guide should be in a seperate book in your owner's manual package. It is a ***** though to have to replace the tires so soon.
Thats it, has nothing to do with the dealer or Ford. You can probably get a service manager to put in a claim with BFG and you may get a pro-rated compensation, I would guess maybe $50 a tire.

All 18" wheel packages use the BFG KDW's
All 17" wheel packages use the Pirelli PZero Nero
All 16" wheel packages use the BFG TA
Old 9/6/07 | 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

OK well....

Went to Tire Kingdom tonight and has a nice visit. They are BFG dealers so they did the inspection and although they agree it doesn't seem like an inflation issue due to the history and only 2 tires having the problem, BFG won't see them as defective unless the tread was coming apart or something. They did offer to give me a 20% discount on replacing them.

Now the fun part. They found it odd the dealer would point to the wearing as the cause of the vibration as in most cases of even wear (in my case evenly in the center) vibrations don't occur. Based on my description of the symptom they swore it was a balance issue. So they offer to check the balance and rotate them and if the vibration was still there, no charge. If it's fixed they will write up a service ticket so I agree.

No tire expert here but here is the results from the balance.

LF: Off by 1.5 ounces
LR: Off by 2.25 ounces
RF: Off by 1 ounce
RR: Off by 1.25 ounces.

Basically enough to cause some issues. They balanced all 4 tires but no go on fixing, still started vibrating just as bad after 60. My guess is they went out of balance over some time now from maybe weights falling off or something and now caused the tires to be oblong? Not sure here but all in all it looks like the only way to fix it now is to replace all 4 even though 2 of them look perfect.

Funny part is it was the dealer who balanced them last time. Do tires just fall out of balance and as bad as mine did? Even if the weights did fall off it was the dealer who applied them. Oh yea, it was also this same dealer who told me two days ago that they checked the balance and stated they where fine. Hmmmmmmmm

Overall, no way to prove anything. Just gonna deal with the vibration for a little bit until I purchase new wheels. Not gonna spend money on rubber thats not going to be on long
Old 9/6/07 | 09:11 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Just gonna deal with the vibration for a little bit until I purchase new wheels. Not gonna spend money on rubber thats not going to be on long

<cough cough - deepdishchromebullits -cough cough>

Old 9/7/07 | 12:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
OK well....

Went to Tire Kingdom tonight and has a nice visit. They are BFG dealers so they did the inspection and although they agree it doesn't seem like an inflation issue due to the history and only 2 tires having the problem, BFG won't see them as defective unless the tread was coming apart or something. They did offer to give me a 20% discount on replacing them.

Now the fun part. They found it odd the dealer would point to the wearing as the cause of the vibration as in most cases of even wear (in my case evenly in the center) vibrations don't occur. Based on my description of the symptom they swore it was a balance issue. So they offer to check the balance and rotate them and if the vibration was still there, no charge. If it's fixed they will write up a service ticket so I agree.

No tire expert here but here is the results from the balance.

LF: Off by 1.5 ounces
LR: Off by 2.25 ounces
RF: Off by 1 ounce
RR: Off by 1.25 ounces.

Basically enough to cause some issues. They balanced all 4 tires but no go on fixing, still started vibrating just as bad after 60. My guess is they went out of balance over some time now from maybe weights falling off or something and now caused the tires to be oblong? Not sure here but all in all it looks like the only way to fix it now is to replace all 4 even though 2 of them look perfect.

Funny part is it was the dealer who balanced them last time. Do tires just fall out of balance and as bad as mine did? Even if the weights did fall off it was the dealer who applied them. Oh yea, it was also this same dealer who told me two days ago that they checked the balance and stated they where fine. Hmmmmmmmm

Overall, no way to prove anything. Just gonna deal with the vibration for a little bit until I purchase new wheels. Not gonna spend money on rubber thats not going to be on long

You driving a BMW?

Yeah – sounds like a defect – look in mirror to see it.

Quick Reply: OK, I need to vent. Tire issue warranty???