Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Noise on Engine Start w/ Video

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/13, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise on Engine Start w/ Video

Hey all,

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang GT w/ approximately 85,000 miles on the odometer.

Over the last 10,000 miles or so, a distinguished noise has become audible on both cold and warm engine starts. The sound is clearly audible in the cabin but the source of the sound is difficult to isolate. The serpentine belt has been replaced and was not found to be the cause of the issue.

Here is a video I took of this issue taking place:

The sound is audible between the 0:13 and 0:15 second mark.

Has someone else had this issue and how was it resolved?

Thank you.

Last edited by TheGrayWolves; 3/22/13 at 04:21 PM.
Old 3/23/13, 04:41 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it the 3 clicks?
Old 3/23/13, 06:46 AM
RCW
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard an electronic chirp in the time span mentioned.

I have never heard that sound with my 05 GT with 109K miles.

RCW
Old 3/23/13, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by KdF
Is it the 3 clicks?
It's not a clicking sound, it's the chirp/squeal you hear immediately after the engine turns over.

Originally Posted by RCW
I heard an electronic chirp in the time span mentioned.

I have never heard that sound with my 05 GT with 109K miles.

RCW
That's a great way to describe it. It does sound like an electronic chirp.

The only electronic add-on that I have is an iPod auxiliary adapter which I've had since I purchased the vehicle in 2007.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Last edited by TheGrayWolves; 3/23/13 at 12:12 PM.
Old 3/25/13, 10:45 AM

Anyone?
Old 3/28/13, 08:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
sounds like the cluster chirps/tach jumps... the door/seatbelt chime will quit when turn signals are on, guess the 'click' sound gets priority on the little speaker or whatevers inside there... try starting with the turn signal on just for the heck of it to see if it silences it- if so I'd suspect a low battery voltage or cluster might be going out... might put a voltmeter on any 12v source while cranking to see how low the voltage drops when cranking, maybe its just the battery getting weak- the gear reduction starters these days will still crank pretty good on a weak battery compared to the old direct drive ones

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/28/13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 3/29/13, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
sounds like the cluster chirps/tach jumps... the door/seatbelt chime will quit when turn signals are on, guess the 'click' sound gets priority on the little speaker or whatevers inside there... try starting with the turn signal on just for the heck of it to see if it silences it- if so I'd suspect a low battery voltage or cluster might be going out... might put a voltmeter on any 12v source while cranking to see how low the voltage drops when cranking, maybe its just the battery getting weak- the gear reduction starters these days will still crank pretty good on a weak battery compared to the old direct drive ones
Thank you for the suggestion.

This morning, I placed the key into the ignition, turned the turn signal on, and proceeded to start the engine. Unfortunately, the sound did not go away as a result of having the turn signal on prior to starting the vehicle.

Since the sound did not go away, even with the turn signal on, do you have any other thoughts or testing steps to follow to isolate the issue? I'm not very well versed w/ electrical systems so any method of testing would be incredibly helpful.
Old 7/3/13, 09:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
a while back I started getting a weird chirp/screech sounds like its coming from the cluster, but only at certain RPMs AND then only at certain throttle opening... but anyway, kinda got me thinking about this thread...

level road in 3rd gear if I mess with the throttle between 2500-2700 rpm I can get the noise...just weird as I would think vacuum leak, but these cars use electric motors for heat/vent actuators...tried riding/pumping the brakes to bleed off vacuum while making the noise, no change, so dont think the brake booster could be it... just dont think these cars have any vacuum under the dash.
hoping its not in the engine, but think if it was a cam bearing or something, throttle opening wouldnt matter... only other thing I can think of is maybe my shaker/airbox gasket is leaking, but it sure sounds like instrument panel, not farther forward under hood...seems loudest with windows up, really cant hear from outside...

anyone know if theres any vacuum operated stuff under the dash?
Old 7/4/13, 09:20 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Watch the tach. Jumps up in harmony with the sound.. I think it's in the cluster man. Rev it hard in neutral and see if it replicates
Old 7/4/13, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm, I have heard of a few clusters going out, but when I think its electric.. I disconnect that batter for 20-30 mins. and let everything reset....
Old 7/4/13, 09:50 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Watch the tach. Jumps up in harmony with the sound.. I think it's in the cluster man. Rev it hard in neutral and see if it replicates
Pull the fuse for the cluster. Start it. See if there's a noise
Old 8/22/13, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

On my old 07 I had some very strange electrical gremlins or so I thought....until my battery died. Which happened 2 days after I started seeing weird things and hearing a lot of strange noises during the start in the cluster area. Never had a car with a dying battery act like that which is what made me confused at first. Not sure if you've checked the battery or not but it may be as simple as that if you can get the battery checked.
Old 8/22/13, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Then again if this has been going on for over a month and a half now I doubt the dying battery if it were that, would have lasted that long so I'm probably wrong. Ugh I hate being wrong lol
Old 8/22/13, 08:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I guess I'm old school. It sounded like a slight belt squeal.