Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

My Cloth Top is getting damaged when I open doors

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/10, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Cloth Top is getting damaged when I open doors

OK, I need help. I have a 2008 GT Vert and when I open the doors the windows are supposed to go down and not hit the cloth. Problem is..they are. took it to dealer and they told me I'm opening the door wrong..I was instructed to pull the handle let the door release than wait 2 seconds till the glass goes down then open it the rest of the way. Same for when I'm on the outside trying to get in. pull handle wait than open door...It is my believe that the timing on the down program needs to be adjusted...
I finally got the owner involved and they spoke to a dealer in florida who said..replace the top..and adjust the window so it doesnt go up all the way...(sounds like another far fetched idea) I have a friend who did replacements for convertibles and he said do whatever I can to NOT have them replace the top as it will never look the same...

So my question is..has anyone else had this problem? If so how did they resolve it..
Old 2/19/10, 07:32 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
The dealer is ate up. Either the timing of the door/window is off or the top is sagging too much. Take it to another dealer. If you have no choice, go to the lot and ask them to open a vert they have on the lot. I have a 2006 vert and i have no issues
Old 2/19/10, 07:43 PM
GT Member

we looked at every vert with the premium top...it did not seem to show much on the regular top...it rubs right at the back...

My dealer has spoken to the ford rep...

Im not really happy about it..
Old 2/23/10, 08:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
are both doors doing it? might sound like a dumb question, but I ask because on ours(coupes though) the widows drop like 1/2" very quick- I dont know if I could pull the door fast enough to get it to rub...in winter/ice- yes its a problem...
I just wonder if maybe your window motor is failing, and moving too slowly- my Mark VII had one with a seized bushing or something that slowed waaay down, yet still worked fine for months till I replaced it...if yours is only hitting on one side, might check time to go full up/down one side vs the other...
Old 2/24/10, 09:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonic Blu Stang
I have a friend who did replacements for convertibles and he said do whatever I can to NOT have them replace the top as it will never look the same...
That's true for older cars, tops were very complicated, usually made by outside companies and very labor intensive but the newer mustangs should be perfectly fine if they replace the top, just very important that they use original Ford parts...
Old 2/24/10, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
my 07 with cloth top does not rub. The window drops so fast you could not get it to hit the top as you open the door. Take it to another dealer, or talk to a district rep
Old 2/25/10, 06:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
one of the stupidest things I ever heard. Pull handle wait 2 seconds then push door open. The guy that told you that needs a smack even funnier the guy that told you that would never accept that as a fix for his car.
Old 2/25/10, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Ok, first both sides are doing it... and there is a delay... that's why I asked if they could update the firmware to it...

The only thing I noticed is that it does not seem to do it on the regular top, or it does not show wear. I have the upgraded top...

Last edited by Sonic Blu Stang; 2/25/10 at 11:15 AM. Reason: screwed up what I wanted to say.
Old 2/25/10, 11:15 AM
GT Member

[quote=Sonic Blu Stang;5821920]Ok, first both sides are doing it... and there is a delay... that's why I asked if they could update the firmware to it...

The only thing I noticed is that it does not seem to do it on the regular top, or it does not show wear. I have the upgraded top...
Old 2/25/10, 03:30 PM
V6 Member

My top has the same rubbing. I noticed it when someone posted it on here somewhere. I had to train myself to give the pause when opening the door, as my 05 is way out of warranty. It has not grown since I've noticed it. The hard part is training a passenger to so the same.
Old 2/26/10, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

My windows drop pretty quickly and I have no rubbing. BTW - I had my cloth top replaced under warranty for a different reason and the new top looks great.
Old 3/3/10, 08:49 AM

The exact same thing happened to me, I had the Dealer warrenty a new top (Cloth) problem solved. Replace 6 months ago still no issue.

Originally Posted by Sonic Blu Stang
OK, I need help. I have a 2008 GT Vert and when I open the doors the windows are supposed to go down and not hit the cloth. Problem is..they are. took it to dealer and they told me I'm opening the door wrong..I was instructed to pull the handle let the door release than wait 2 seconds till the glass goes down then open it the rest of the way. Same for when I'm on the outside trying to get in. pull handle wait than open door...It is my believe that the timing on the down program needs to be adjusted...
I finally got the owner involved and they spoke to a dealer in florida who said..replace the top..and adjust the window so it doesnt go up all the way...(sounds like another far fetched idea) I have a friend who did replacements for convertibles and he said do whatever I can to NOT have them replace the top as it will never look the same...

So my question is..has anyone else had this problem? If so how did they resolve it..
Old 3/7/10, 11:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you ever try to recalibrate the windows ? hold switch down then pull up while holding for 2-3 seconds resets them should be in the book , How do you open a door wrong ? was the guy a General Lee fan from the Dukes of Hazard lol
Old 3/7/10, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least you still have a warrenty. just keep bothering them till they get it fixed.
Old 3/9/10, 07:00 PM
GT Member

I had the same issue

The exact same thing happened to me on my 2007 GT with the driver door. The window would not drop down fast enough when I opened the door and it actually wore away the black vinyl and showed some white underneath. It looked like a tear in the vinyl.
This happened after 2 years. The dealer actually replaced it under warranty without too much of a complaint. I was shocked. I think they tried to replace it in house, then gave up and sent it to a trim shop. It took 10 working days (2 weeks). They gave me a loaner for free after 3 days.
To make sure it did not happen again I learned to open the door very slightly and wait for the window to clear.
They attributed the problem to the window needing to be "reset", but it still happens occasionally. I will also say that the new top took a while to fit back in and look like the original one.
Old 4/5/11, 02:32 PM

I just traded my 2003 convertible for a 2008 convertible and on the 03 no problem but the 08 in rubbing right at the corner of the window above the door handle, It has rubbed a hole in the vinyl and the car just has 36000 miles on it. Will they still cover it? Please help
Old 8/17/12, 10:00 PM

Same thing is happening to my 08 vert stang . It only rubs on the drivers side, at least that is what gets most use, so I now have a worn spot the size of a quarter at the rear point of the drivers side window on the convertible top. People on this forum say u can adjust it. I hope so . Any insight is apprecieated.
Old 8/23/12, 08:39 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
any pics/video of the damage? I'd like to see video showing how much delay there is on the drop...
Old 11/2/13, 09:18 AM

I had similar window function gap/drop issue on my '07 GT convert. Try the re-cal method while sitting in driver seat:
1) lower window fully
2) raise window fully and hold switch in UP position for 3 sec.

That worked for me. Auto up/down now works, and gap/drop feature when opening/closing door works! Took about 10 sec to fix....good luck!

Last edited by H-Man; 11/2/13 at 09:22 AM.