Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

My car is pinging sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/09, 02:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gmantheman, for the longest time I thought it was the center stack tsb and was driving myself up a wall.

What, RPM is it happening in? Also, run with a lower octane tune for a while to see if the pinging comes back. If it is "quiet" then you more than likely have pinging.
Old 10/11/09, 02:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GONE_N_60
gmantheman, for the longest time I thought it was the center stack tsb and was driving myself up a wall.

What, RPM is it happening in? Also, run with a lower octane tune for a while to see if the pinging comes back. If it is "quiet" then you more than likely have pinging.
I'll have to check again at what RPMs, but I believe it it happens above 3,000 RPMs. It usually happens when I step on the gas peddle. On the hwy when I step on the gas peddle, the sound is faint. On another forum, someone said that the intake, especially JLTs can rub against the hood, producing a metallic sound.
Old 10/11/09, 02:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gmantheman
I'll have to check again at what RPMs, but I believe it it happens above 3,000 RPMs. It usually happens when I step on the gas peddle. On the hwy when I step on the gas peddle, the sound is faint. On another forum, someone said that the intake, especially JLTs can rub against the hood, producing a metallic sound.
Yep, I even fiddled with my intake's heat shield.

Trust me. For the safety of your engine, switch to a lower octane tune and troubleshoot from there. If it is still making that sound, at least you know that it is not something parasitic.
Old 10/11/09, 02:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll try running the 89 and 87 tunes and see if it's that.
Old 10/11/09, 10:48 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I switched to Chevron and seems to be better
Old 10/11/09, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I only run Shell, 76 or Cheveron. I put in a 89Tq tune, so I will see if that helps.
Old 10/11/09, 12:41 PM
GT Member

I tried all different gasoline and none made a difference. Under normal driving my car would never ping but when I would get the rpm's above 3500-4000 hard acceleration it would ping terrible. I would first try to take timing out, it's really simple to do and then you will know what the cause is. I have heard that the quality of gas we are getting is not very good so maybe that is why we are having issues.
Old 10/11/09, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think mine is pining. I changed to a lower octane and that didn't get rid of the noise. Retarded the spark but that also didn't help. I may have found the culprit; the jlt intake heat shield was loose.
Old 10/11/09, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Its good to hear that it is not engine detonation.

I lined the underside of my C&L intake heat shield with some doublesided foam tape and that seemed to take care of some of the vibration I had when I first installed it.
Old 10/11/09, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Its good to hear that it is not engine detonation.

I lined the underside of my C&L intake heat shield with some doublesided foam tape and that seemed to take care of some of the vibration I had when I first installed it.
That's what I will need to do. The heat sheid still rubs so I will go buy some double sided foam.
Old 10/11/09, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I know of a few members that have outright removed their heat shields due to the noises they may cause. I chose not to because of the climate where I live.

But it is another choice available to you just as an FYI.

To the OP, LordBritish, have you gotten yours figured out yet?
Old 10/12/09, 02:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

To the OP, LordBritish, have you gotten yours figured out yet?
Not yet. I'm not 100% sure what it is. Need to test a little more.
Old 10/12/09, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do you change the timing in your tune? Also, does anyone run a 91 tune and fill up with 93 so as to avoid detonation? I suspect sometimes 93 isn't quite 93.
Old 10/12/09, 08:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
How do you change the timing in your tune? Also, does anyone run a 91 tune and fill up with 93 so as to avoid detonation? I suspect sometimes 93 isn't quite 93.
It's not hard. You have to adjust the timing in your SCT or whatever you have and reflash. So when you hook up your scanner to your car and pick which tune file you want to use it has an option to adjust settings (if the tune was left with end user adjustment) now that your in the tune file look for timing settings. I ended up taking 6-8 degrees out of ONLY the 4000-8000 rpm range. Check with whomever you got your tune file from if you don't feel comfortable in making the change and i'm sure they will send you a tune file adjusted to try. Pm me if you want help I can walk you through it.

Last edited by mdun6; 10/12/09 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10/12/09, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mdun6
It's not hard. You have to adjust the timing in your SCT or whatever you have and reflash. So when you hook up your scanner to your car and pick which tune file you want to use it has an option to adjust settings (if the tune was left with end user adjustment) now that your in the tune file look for timing settings. I ended up taking 6-8 degrees out of ONLY the 4000-8000 rpm range. Check with whomever you got your tune file from if you don't feel comfortable in making the change and i'm sure they will send you a tune file adjusted to try. Pm me if you want help I can walk you through it.
Thanks for the reply....trying to catch up on all this stuff. The last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of money and have knocking issues.
Old 10/12/09, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
If I didn't know what I was doing (EXACTLY) with a tune I'd let the pro's do it or write it by giving them the info the last thing I'd hate to do is mess with something that I know didly squat about & I Don't , I recommend not to tuch if your not sure !
Old 10/12/09, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
6-8 degrees of timing pulled out from our tune?!?! That's absolutely positively related to an outside source. Whether you went somewhere that they misinformed you, or you had 87 equivalent running a 93 tune. 6-8 degrees is absolutely nuts. We dial every 93 tune in for approximately 29-31 degrees of timing depending on ethanol content, tune type, etc. For us to send you a tune with 35-38 degrees is ****-near impossible.
As a tuning company ourselves we would feel the same way. Our tunes go out with a similar timing range depending on fuel, etc.... There is no way anyone should ever have to take that much timing out of a tune unless 87 octane was being used or there is some other factor not being accounted for...

Last edited by SteedaGus; 10/12/09 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10/12/09, 01:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
As a tuning company ourselves we would feel the same way. Our tunes go out with a similar timing range depending on fuel, etc.... There is no way anyone should ever have to take that much timing out of a tune unless 87 octane was being used or there is some other factor not being accounted for...
I'm not sure what the problem was all I know is I did contact CR at Tillman and told him it was pinging really badly. CR told me to take out some timing which I did and it fixed it. So a couple weeks later I seen a post saying he had an updated tune so I called him and got the new one but the car started pinging again on hard acceleration so again I took out 6 degrees of timing out and let him know that the updated tune had the same results. I offered in one of my replies to this post to send CR the tune file after my car was on the dyno at a local shop but I have not received any reply back. As I said before they shop here just tweaked the tune I got from Tillman and gained a couple HP in the process. I have both tunes if someone wants to see them......
Old 10/12/09, 05:03 PM
Former Vendor

If they used end user adjustability to pull the timing out there is no tune file, it's just in end user adjustability. Did they pull our tune out of the car and modify it? What shop was this? What was the RWHP/RWTQ results.... any datalogs of the run file? I'm telling you I can guarantee something else is going on. Taking away that much timing from ANYTHING is going to keep it from pinging even in the worst IAT/ECT temperature variables, etc. Just because pulling timing fixed the problem, doesn't neccessarily mean timing was the culprit or the source of the issue.

Chris
Old 10/12/09, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
If they used end user adjustability to pull the timing out there is no tune file, it's just in end user adjustability. Did they pull our tune out of the car and modify it? What shop was this? What was the RWHP/RWTQ results.... any datalogs of the run file? I'm telling you I can guarantee something else is going on. Taking away that much timing from ANYTHING is going to keep it from pinging even in the worst IAT/ECT temperature variables, etc. Just because pulling timing fixed the problem, doesn't neccessarily mean timing was the culprit or the source of the issue.

Chris
I believe that they used your file as a baseline and then wrote a new file, I don't really know all the ins and outs of how the files are made. It has not been data logged but I do have the paper Runfile. Max HP was 276.99 and torque was 292.33. I'm sure that there is a new file on my SCT. Is there something else going on here? I don't know. I have had the car for about 7 months and it had 13 miles on it when I picked it up. But that being said the car has a build date of 12/07 and i think I got it in April 09, so where the car sat all that time i can't figure out.

Quick Reply: My car is pinging sometimes